cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sales tax overcharge

Have seen post concerning overcharge of sales tax and have experienced the same.   What is so wrong about this is the buyer is paying more than they should and the seller is paying an inflated fee.  Ebay's fees are based on the total sale including the sales tax.  This results in the fee paid being a few cents more than if the sales tax was correct.  A few cents isn't much until you consider how many sales a day Ebay has.  Just think if everyone that reads this just sent me .03 cents.  I'll take it LOL!!!  Thanks.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: sales tax overcharge

"Item was shipped out of state.  There are origin states and destination state.  When shipping out of Indiana the tax is based on the destination tax rate."

Ummm -- the sales or use tax on ALL sales on eBay is ALWAYS based on the tax rate of the destination.  

I am in California.  I think my county's sales tax rate is somewhere around 7.5% or 7.6%.  I have sold things to people in Los Angeles County where the sales tax rate was 9.85%.   On another sale, a buyer in Wisconsin paid about 5.5% sales tax.  And, of course, my Russian buyers have opened accounts with freight-forwarders in the state of Delaware where there is no sales tax.  

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

where you live or ship 'from' is irrelevant....where did you ship the $30.00 item to?

(ZIP CODE + 4)

If you shipped to me it would be:

My STATE is 5.75%

My COUNTY adds 2.25% to that....

total sales tax on purchases 8.00% (not 5.75%)

Your example of 30.00 + 9.60  indicates that the buyer was charged 7.50% sales tax to equal the amount (42.57)

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Okay,  I understand what you are saying.   I am sorry Ebay!  I only had 5 number zip.  I sent email to get last 4.  The total 7.5% is correct-6% state and 1.5% local.  I will make sure in future to have full zip code.  Thank you for the education.  I don't mind to pay what I am required.  Sorry again Ebay.  Thank you all for your time.  Sincerely

Message 18 of 18
latest reply