cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Really nobody on eBay anymore is subjected to fraud.”

Seriously?

“There are two things that eBay has done in the last 10 years that have taken fraud to a meaningless number," Wenig told Lauren Goode of The Verge in an interview... on Thursday morning. "Really nobody on eBay anymore is subjected to fraud."

One is the combination of computer technology and employees who comb the site for tell-tale signs of fraudulent products. The other is the company's five-year-old Money Back Guarantee program, which refunds buyers when they run into problems with a purchase.

Noting that eBay's fraud rate was at a "historic low," Wenig added, "At this point, fraud shouldn't be an issue for anyone that buys or sells on eBay."

https://www.recode.net/2016/6/2/11845930/ebays-ceo-fraud-not-issue

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 1 of 111
latest reply
110 REPLIES 110

Re: "Really nobody on eBay anymore is subjected to fraud.”

Anonymous
Not applicable

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@goldguy22k wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote: Facts are rejected if it doesn't mesh with personal opinion, @goodluckselling.

Ah kind sir.  Not sure I have seen "the facts" yet.  Are there links to published data by ebay on "transactions per day"

So here you go: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+transactions+does+ebay+process+per+day&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS698U...

eBay, of course, defines “at scale” in ecommerce. The world's largest online marketplace handles more than 1 billion transactions per day and has nearly 95 million active users globally.Jun 29, 2016

That's the same quote/article discussed above about data servers and 1 billion transactions referring to listings, not to sales.

Message 91 of 111
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@moondogblues wrote:
"There are lots of demons running ruffshot on many people. Without a strong faith and learned understanding you will fall for anything. GOD wants you to succeed."

Can't help the English major in me....'rough shod' as in horses. Old English. Oh...and 'god' who? Eeeek.

Yes, rough shod as in horses.  God with a capital as the Lord, Creator, Master, and Savior.  The Supreme Being and Higher Power.  I wish you knew Him.  Small g denotes mythological gods~a huge difference.   

Just want to add it could also denote what is a god to you~an obsession~things that take over your life~can become a god to you.  Greed, money, drugs, drinking, the list goes on...false gods can ruin your life.  

Hmmmm...can the God with a capital G take over your life? 

Absolutely yes, but that is a good thing and why we were created.  To have fellowship with God.

Actually I need to clarify that.  He gives us free will, but loves us and wants a relationship with us.   Love is only love if we choose to give it so He does not force anyone.  He only takes over your life if you ask him to, when you accept him as your Savior and give your life to Him.  It's a personal choice~it's not forced on you.

This is not intended to offend anyone, it's just an explanation that I hope is helpful.  

Message 92 of 111
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@goldguy22k wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote: Facts are rejected if it doesn't mesh with personal opinion, @goodluckselling.

Ah kind sir.  Not sure I have seen "the facts" yet.  Are there links to published data by ebay on "transactions per day"

So here you go: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+transactions+does+ebay+process+per+day&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS698US698&oq=how+&aqs=chrome.2.69i59l3j69i57j69i60l2.4101j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

eBay, of course, defines “at scale” in ecommerce. The world's largest online marketplace handles more than 1 billion transactions per day and has nearly 95 million active users globally.Jun 29, 2016

That's the same quote/article discussed above about data servers and 1 billion transactions referring to listings, not to sales.

I understand but that was all I could find.  There are other reports that state how sales are up, percentage wise, and the dollar amount, but that quote was the closest to the meaning requested.  Sorry!

Message 93 of 111
latest reply

Having read the article, and taking it in its' context, transactions does not seem to mean sales to me.  In this context, a transaction could be a new listing, revision, a dispute opening, in my mind, just anything that would be entered online.  It may even include searches performed.  

So with all due respect to goodluckselling, in short, anything requiring server use. 

Just my thoughts.

Message 94 of 111
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

I'm universes away from being a data nerd but cool's example he quotes constantly is from an article (if it's on the internet, it's true) about cooling down computers or something, isn't it?   Could transactions in that context mean one billion thingies that involve a computer making a change/doing something in the flow of information ?  

With eBay speak, it could mean just about anything!  I mean, it doesn't make any sense... a page view, or a command being executed = transaction... but what do I know?  A dispute is a "return request", a buyer remorse return is a "return request", and an INR dispute is a "request"!

From eBay's perspective, if it's not a sale, it's probaby a count of how many times they charged someone a fee. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 95 of 111
latest reply

LOL, "no fraud on eBay."   Man, my category isn't even "known for" bootlegs but I still see them up all the time.  The one that makes me cringe is the Chinese sellers that promote their bootleg cartoon character figurines as "cupcake toppers" even though those particular bootlegs have been proven to have lead paint!  People are buying those things to put on cupcakes for their kids' birthday party . . . Not cool.  

Message 96 of 111
latest reply

A tech website discussing transactions of a server farm is, most likely, not talking about individual sales.

Wiki - Database Transactions:

"A transaction symbolizes a unit of work performed within a database management system (or similar system) against a database, and treated in a coherent and reliable way independent of other transactions. A transaction generally represents any change in a database. Transactions in a database environment have two main purposes:

1. To provide reliable units of work that allow correct recovery from failures and keep a database consistent even in cases of system failure, when execution stops (completely or partially) and many operations upon a database remain uncompleted, with unclear status.
  2. To provide isolation between programs accessing a database concurrently. If this isolation is not provided, the programs' outcomes are possibly erroneous.

In a Database Management System, a transaction is a single unit of logic or work, sometimes made up of multiple operations. Any logical calculation done in a consistent mode in a database is known as a transaction. One example is a transfer from one bank account to another: the complete transaction requires subtracting the amount to be transferred from one account and adding that same amount to the other.

A database transaction, by definition, must be atomic, consistent, isolated and durable.  Database practitioners often refer to these properties of database transactions using the acronym ACID.

Transactions provide an "all-or-nothing" proposition, stating that each work-unit performed in a database must either complete in its entirety or have no effect whatsoever. Further, the system must isolate each transaction from other transactions, results must conform to existing constraints in the database, and transactions that complete successfully must get written to durable storage."

Without a subject-related definition from the person using the term, "transaction" can easily be used to create an incorrect impression by someone not being specific.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 97 of 111
latest reply

Great post, thank you!

Message 98 of 111
latest reply

I knew I was right !  A transaction is "a thingy that involves a computer!"

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 99 of 111
latest reply

With thanks to @gracieallen01

Repeating his post that establishes just what a transaction is.  It is anything entered online, not necessarily a sale.

in reply to 10-05-2018 07:17:56 AM
gracieallen01
Last Edited 10-05-2018 07:18:49 AM

A tech website discussing transactions of a server farm is, most likely, not talking about individual sales.

Wiki - Database Transactions:

"A transaction symbolizes a unit of work performed within a database management system (or similar system) against a database, and treated in a coherent and reliable way independent of other transactions. A transaction generally represents any change in a database. Transactions in a database environment have two main purposes:

1. To provide reliable units of work that allow correct recovery from failures and keep a database consistent even in cases of system failure, when execution stops (completely or partially) and many operations upon a database remain uncompleted, with unclear status.
  2. To provide isolation between programs accessing a database concurrently. If this isolation is not provided, the programs' outcomes are possibly erroneous.

In a Database Management System, a transaction is a single unit of logic or work, sometimes made up of multiple operations. Any logical calculation done in a consistent mode in a database is known as a transaction. One example is a transfer from one bank account to another: the complete transaction requires subtracting the amount to be transferred from one account and adding that same amount to the other.

A database transaction, by definition, must be atomic, consistent, isolated and durable.  Database practitioners often refer to these properties of database transactions using the acronym ACID.

Transactions provide an "all-or-nothing" proposition, stating that each work-unit performed in a database must either complete in its entirety or have no effect whatsoever. Further, the system must isolate each transaction from other transactions, results must conform to existing constraints in the database, and transactions that complete successfully must get written to durable storage."

Without a subject-related definition from the person using the term, "transaction" can easily be used to create an incorrect impression by someone not being specific.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, people would use them more often.

Message 100 of 111
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

I'm universes away from being a data nerd but cool's example he quotes constantly is from an article (if it's on the internet, it's true) about cooling down computers or something, isn't it?   Could transactions in that context mean one billion thingies that involve a computer making a change/doing something in the flow of information ?  

With eBay speak, it could mean just about anything!  I mean, it doesn't make any sense... a page view, or a command being executed = transaction... but what do I know?  A dispute is a "return request", a buyer remorse return is a "return request", and an INR dispute is a "request"!

From eBay's perspective, if it's not a sale, it's probaby a count of how many times they charged someone a fee. 

Repeating, with thanks, @gracieallen01 

in reply to 10-05-2018 07:17:56 AM
gracieallen01
Last Edited 10-05-2018 07:18:49 AM

Wiki - Database Transactions:

"A transaction symbolizes a unit of work performed within a database management system (or similar system) against a database, and treated in a coherent and reliable way independent of other transactions. A transaction generally represents any change in a database. Transactions in a database environment have two main purposes:

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, people would use them more often.

Message 101 of 111
latest reply

My apologies for multiple posts of gracieallen01's posts but it warranted repeating.

It was the technical definition of transactions as applies to data~just as some questioned the use of the word, deprecated, when return policies were invalid~that was also a technical term as applies to data processes.

Message 102 of 111
latest reply

Hi Castle, sorry for having to resort to wiki, but, as I get older, it sometimes is harder to get the right words to express the right thing.  I, too, like sharingtheland, got a little irked of the wrong numbers getting thrown around as possible fact, for the wrong things.  Just glad it helped to shed some light.  (don't spam me off the board, though)  JK  Smiley Very Happy

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 103 of 111
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Hi Castle, sorry for having to resort to wiki, but, as I get older, it sometimes is harder to get the right words to express the right thing.  I, too, like sharingtheland, got a little irked of the wrong numbers getting thrown around as possible fact, for the wrong things.  Just glad it helped to shed some light.  (don't spam me off the board, though)  JK  Smiley Very Happy

HI, Gracie!  I'm all for facts and truth as well, as you may know!  I felt badly because I didn't research that far enough, but I am so glad you did.  My interpretation of the article felt that was what was meant (count me in with sharingthe land Sherry) but your thoughtful post verified that.  And I would NEVER spam you off the Board!  Actually I have never spammed anyone off the Board.  And you did a GREAT job with that research!

Message 104 of 111
latest reply

@ted_200

Morning, Ted. And if a buyer pays you, then immediately cancels before you ship, that sale is included in sold. I know, because my one cancellation back in June still shows like income. So am assuming all cancellations where the buyer paid you (whether before you shipped it or after) gets counted.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 105 of 111
latest reply