cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Not eligible for eBay purchase protection programs"-how can a seller do that?

I was looking around on eBay and I saw this item.

pic1.png

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Just guessing, but ebay may think that is a digital or non-tangible product.

I doubt it was the seller that did that.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It might have something to do with the being for "students".

Any business that sells textbooks or similar materials would need to be protected against returns.

Textbook manufacturers make new editions to such materials every few semesters so that students are forced to buy entirely new books instead of used ones.

Students would be tempted to buy books and return them to the seller, and the seller would be unable to sell them after being returned for this reason.

So, anything in that category may have issues with buyer protection.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It doesn't look like anything in that category, Websites & Businesses for Sale, is eligible for eBay purchase protection programs. It's probably a spin-off of the eBay Classifieds, a.k.a. "Buy and sell at your own risk and don't call us if you get scammed because you definitely will".

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Buyer protection and returns are two different things.

A seller can choose not to accept returns.

Buyer protection is when a seller sends an item not as described, or doesn't send an item. 

@lagarto_electronico 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Hi, in regards to the Money Back Guarantee, the seller cannot decide what is covered snd what is not, it is eBay that sets those terms. Not everything listed is eligible for purchase protection. The following are ineligible:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

(This is not an exhaustive list, there are other exclusions that can be perused on the Help pages link shown above.

The screen shot only shows partial information so it is hard to determine exactly what about the posted listing makes it ineligible.  For example, what category is the item in? Is it a classified ad or a digital purchase?)

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It's a Digital item, 6 months of Amazon Prime membership for students.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Talk about gaming the system. Amazon Prime Student offers a free 6 month trial to any student that qualifies by visiting their website - no special referrals required. This seller is charging $4 for something any student that qualifies can get for free.

They don't mention student in the title, so how many people are buying that don't have a school e-mail address they can use to sign up? I haven't looked for the listing, but now I wonder if it lists Amazon's requirements to qualify.

I'd even bet that they're sending buyers an affiliate link to sign up, so they're getting paid by Amazon for every sign up that commits to the service beyond the 6 months. Amazon would boot them from the affiliate program if they knew. That program has strict guidelines.

EDIT TO REPLY:

I found the listing and now I see why people are paying for it. The description:

"We Will Give You An Edu Email To Get 6 Months Of Prime Benefits ,
You Should Create Your Own Amzn Account ."

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd even bet that they're sending buyers an affiliate link to sign up, so they're getting paid by Amazon for every sign up that commits to the service beyond the 6 months. Amazon would boot them from the affiliate program if they knew. That program has strict guidelines.

I believe they may get paid for a trial sign up also. 

@Anonymous 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Hello guys, I had a similar issue as a seller, I suddenly found out on my listings the same text and I was like WOW, what is this, it is a new something, never seen it before, and I am selling my items a long time ago...and I found it out, it is a text ebay automatically puts there when in item specifics seller tick the seller warranty section with YES...when you remove it, the text disappears....it is something related with that seller gives guarantees instead of the ebay.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply