cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Missy" women's clothing size type not available, but I'm forced to choose a size type. What now?

We are selling some NWOT camisole tops.  I've taken all the photos I think will be necessary and added them to my draft listings.  I've filled in all the information I can think of, but eBay won't let me schedule the listings until I choose a size type, e.g. Plus, Juniors, Regular, Maternity, or Petite.  The tops were originally sold as "missy", which I understand is somewhere between a drape or sack shape and a tight fitted top.  In t-shirts, it would be between a typical man's loose tee and a typical fitted women's tee.  Anyway, that's what I read online.    But eBay doesn't offer that choice, and it doesn't allow a custom choice.

I already set up one listing to go out tonight, using the "regular" size type, but I have no idea really.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: "Missy" women's clothing size type not available, but I'm forced to choose a size type

The term "Missy" isn't really used much anymore - are you thinking of "misses"? In eBay land that's "regular" - yes, I know it's dumb, women's clothing does not come in "regular" it comes in juniors,  petite, misses and plus but just choose regular. Those of us who have complained about eBay's weird taxonomy haven't gotten too far with getting that fixed.

"Misses" is simply an 'average' size designation for a tailoring form that has roughly 10" between waist and hips, for instance (juniors is closer to 7").

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: "Missy" women's clothing size type not available, but I'm forced to choose a size type

I should add: " In t-shirts, it would be between a typical man's loose tee and a typical fitted women's tee. Anyway, that's what I read online."

That's actually the 'cut' rather than the size.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Actually I did state regular on the one listing I set up to go out later this evening.

I have five units total, of which four are labeled missy.  For the fifth, which doesn't have any size or cut type indicated, should I list that as regular too?  

As I see it, prospective buyers can see for themselves that most of the tops have "Missy" on the outer packaging, but one doesn't.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

OK - Soft Surroundings, they still use that designation (but not always - go figure). That one cami doesn't have a size on the inner tag? Or is it a different company?

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

The term "Missy" isn't really used much anymore - are you thinking of "misses"? In eBay land that's "regular" - yes, I know it's dumb, women's clothing does not come in "regular" it comes in juniors,  petite, misses and plus but just choose regular.

I was going to say. I'm a woman and I've never heard of "Missy" sizing before. I'm familiar with regular, juniors, and petite sizes.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

The term "Missy" isn't really used much anymore - are you thinking of "misses"? In eBay land that's "regular" - yes, I know it's dumb, women's clothing does not come in "regular" it comes in juniors,  petite, misses and plus but just choose regular.

I was going to say. I'm a woman and I've never heard of "Missy" sizing before. I'm familiar with regular, juniors, and petite sizes.

"Misses" sizing is standard, along with junior, petite, plus and some places carry tall - they all come down to pattern grading so not all houses use all those terms for ready-made, but misses, junior and plus are what I see the most with misses having "straight sizing". "Regular" traditionally has been for men's clothing (regular, big/tall). Things change, though.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

"Misses" sizing is standard, along with junior, petite, plus and some places carry tall - they all come down to pattern grading so not all houses use all those terms for ready-made, but misses, junior and plus are what I see the most with misses having "straight sizing". "Regular" traditionally has been for men's clothing (regular, big/tall). Things change, though.

Huh. I don't think I've ever encountered that. What is it supposed to be for? Juniors and petites I understand, but what is "Misses" supposed to be?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Misses is also known as 'straight sizing', i.e., average - it's for women who fall into the average height and dimensions - pattern grading would be allowing for height between about 5'4" and 5'8", roughly 10" between waist and hips, average length of bust dart. Juniors will have a less differential between waist and hips (usually about 7"), generally shorter, narrower sleeves and narrower shoulders - this is considered the 'younger' figure, but that's just a stereotype - I wear junior sizing for pants and I'm 70, but it's because I'm straight up and down like a boy.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

My apologies; I  see now where I didn't fully think through the sentence structure in my last comment.

The garment in question is labeled large, but without any further qualification like 'regular' or 'missy'.  My assumption would be that 'regular' would be the correct choice here as well, but I'm not sure.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

ETA: The non-missy item,  like all the others, was originally bought from Soft Surroundings, and the designer on the label is "Ally Rose TOPPERS" (see photo).

As a matter of fact, this label is exactly like those on the other four.  As for the other four, the only indication of the missy cut is on a sticker applied to the outer plastic wrapping.

Camisole label.jpg

Message 11 of 11
latest reply