cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

puzzler trying to return large lot of items

I reported to a buyer that the "sets" I ordered were not actually COMPLETE sets. They said go ahead and return them but I balked at paying for the return. I contacted ebay who sided with me and they contacted the seller.

A little while ago I got a return label which I do appreciate.....except it's one label. The items were shipped in four large boxes to me. Even if I manage to find a very large box to return them in, using the one label, I am not at all sure if it will come in under 70 pounds. Oof. Also, what if the P.O. says the return label is not enough to pay the postage, could that happen? I won't get my refund if the P.O. doesn't return it.

I sent them another message pointing out that they shipped the items to me in multiple boxes so wouldn't I need multiple labels? Not sure what to do if I don't hear back from them shortly. Any thoughts on what you would do in this scenario?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

That's the thing about returning something. Sellers know how to package and mail something but when buyers try to return something it is so difficult sometimes because they don't ship out stuff all the time like us  sellers. If the payment and the tracking was connected to 4 purchases then it should be returned as such. If there were 4 tracking numbers then I would ask seller to send 4 labels. Combined shipping can be tricky for a return. Not sure if you got a discount on shipping as well for 4 packages. If you made 4 payments than you should get 4 labels.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

A little while ago I got a return label which I do appreciate.....except it's one label. The items were shipped in four large boxes to me. Even if I manage to find a very large box to return them in, using the one label, I am not at all sure if it will come in under 70 pounds. 

Just return one box with the provided label to get your refund first, as your time is running out. After that, you can work with your seller @keziak to get more labels for the other boxes,

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@nenu-5410 wrote:

@keziak wrote:

A little while ago I got a return label which I do appreciate.....except it's one label. The items were shipped in four large boxes to me. Even if I manage to find a very large box to return them in, using the one label, I am not at all sure if it will come in under 70 pounds. 

Just return one box with the provided label to get your refund first, as your time is running out. After that, you can work with your seller @keziak to get more labels for the other boxes,

@keziak. Fully agree with @nenu-5410 

Posting ID
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

HI!

Call E ask for help. They are great about helping if you get the right person.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Yes, did that. They said to give the seller 24 hours to answer the question I sent him about getting one label. I don't know how much he spent on it. I originally paid $50 to ship the multiple boxes. 

If I just returned, say, half of them  using the label won't he refuse to refund? 

I have until late this month to get this sorry situation resolved. I guess it's buyer beware but why would I suspect I was buying useless partial sets (not disclosed the description)?

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Personally in this situation if the seller doesn't provide additional labels, I would just print 4 copies of the label you were sent and put one on each box its likely that the carrier will just bill the seller for the duplicate labels. once they deliver the packages.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@ladyindecadence wrote:

Personally in this situation if the seller doesn't provide additional labels, I would just print 4 copies of the label you were sent and put one on each box its likely that the carrier will just bill the seller for the duplicate labels. once they deliver the packages.

This is a REALLY bad idea!

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

If you have until near the end of the month. Just give the seller a few days on how they want to handle it. If they don't get back to you by Saturday. Just return the whole thing in a big ass box next week.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I am debating that but I am not sure it's realistic due to the bulk and weight of the sets, even if I could find a box that huge. Would it bump up against the weight limit? Would the USPS guys destroy it in the mail (hello insurance).  Plus they sent a Priority label instead of Media Mail (which they qualify for ).  I don't see how that flies at all. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

So the single return label the seller has provided is going to be enough postage for that BA box? 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

Yes, did that. They said to give the seller 24 hours to answer the question I sent him about getting one label. I don't know how much he spent on it. I originally paid $50 to ship the multiple boxes. 

If I just returned, say, half of them  using the label won't he refuse to refund? 

I have until late this month to get this sorry situation resolved. I guess it's buyer beware but why would I suspect I was buying useless partial sets (not disclosed the description)?

The return labels have no (fixed price). The post office charges based
upon what is revived to be shipped back.

As long as the box can be shipped through the USPS system (whatever it costs)
will be automatically charged to eBay and then passed on to the seller.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

1. Pay attention to what you are buying. Especially if its HUGE. 

2. Don’t return things and you won’t have this trouble.

3. This thread belongs in “buying” and not “selling.”

Sounds to me like you are demanding additional items not shown or described in the listing, and then abusing the return process because YOU weren’t paying attention.

Would 12 more photos have helped. Certainly sounds like you didn’t look at more than 1.

For everything that happens conditions exist such that nothing else could have happened.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@keziak,

If you only got one return label to send them back, then the seller will have to refund you once that return label has been scanned as delivered. If they don't, then eBay will do it for them. If the seller qualifies to issue a partial refund and does that, then you can report them to eBay for misusing the partial refund and then eBay will issue the rest of the refund. That would be an appropriate thing for you to do, in that situation.

You could just send back as much as you can with a single label, keeping the box within the allowable weight limit, and let the seller work it out after you get your refund if they want the rest of the things back.

Return shipping labels are priced differently from normal mail. It's a special service offered by the post office, for a discount, and they are only charged for if and when they are scanned by the post office. I'm sure that eBay has negotiated even better rates because of their volume. There isn't a Medial Mail return service, and Priority mail return labels are the only ones that include insurance automatically (up to $100), and eBay wants that, so that's what they use.

https://www.usps.com/business/return-services.htm

When a label is used multiple times, the post office normally delivers them anyway. I don't know if they charge the seller extra for the extra packages, but I wouldn't be surprised. I once received two packages with identical labels on them from a seller. He had accidentally printed my label twice, and put the extra one on someone else's package. They went through the system perhaps a day apart; the only hint that something was strange was that the tracking number was scanned (again) as arriving at the local sorting center, shortly after it was scanned "out for delivery" by my post office. The second package was delivered a day or two after the first one. (The seller sent me the postage, and the buyer's address, and I sent it on to the correct buyer for him.)

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Could be the seller didn't even know only 1 label was sent.  At 2 this morning I initiated a return for something my wife bought. eBay provided the return label at that time. I'm sure the seller was sound asleep.  I only have 1 box to ship so only needed 1 label, but the question is would eBay have provided 2 if it was 2 packages? Long way of saying maybe the seller didn't send your label, maybe it was automated by eBay and now the seller is busy trying to "fix" it.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply