cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

price "in this difficult time"

Venting a bit.

"Dear Seller

I have made several [lowball] offers that you rejected. Would love to purchase this item, but your price is too high [it's been the lowest price on eBay for 6 months], especially during this difficult time. What are you willing to accept as a bid for this piece?"

Bad enough that the Covid virus is being politicized at every turn but now I should "adjust" my pricing because of it?  Welcome to my BBL, you will have to find someone else with this piece.  Good luck, there's only one other and it's SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive.

There, that feels better.....

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Well now that's just awful rude but they are right you know, in these difficult times you should adjust by raising your prices.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

I may be wrong but, this sounds very familiar....🤔

Im right, arent I   😋

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

This is a prime example of why my block list is so long. That and I sell in a high risk category 😛 Ironically increasing the price may increase the odds of it selling.
Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Their ploy didn't work. However, rather than penalize a possible future buyer for making a lowball offer, i keep my options to sell open by answerIng such requests politely as follows:

Dear eBayer, 

I regret i could not accept your offers. The price is firm, but thank you for your interest in my item.

Sincerely,

Seller

Doing it this way still enables them to buy the item at full price once they understand you are not negotiating your terms. More often than not, this approach works in gaining otherwise lost sales.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Wow, nice selling stats... 👍🏻 With all the smog out there on the listing  floor, its refreshing for my eyeballs to be washed over with some good wholesome stats like those.

I m beginning to feel buying from boardies is the safest bet. 😉

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Dear buyer,

"You have made several offers that were rejected. I would love to sell this item, but your price is too low, especially during this difficult time. What is the highest you are willing to for this piece?"

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Buyers want the lowest price possible. Sellers want the highest price possible. Somewhere there is usually a sweet spot where both are happy.

That said...some folks just aren't worth dealing with. Get pushy or stupid with me and it's game over.

And don't set your price too low. That seems to bring out the bottom feeders more than a higher price will in my experience.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Their ploy didn't work. However, rather than penalize a possible future buyer for making a lowball offer, i keep my options to sell open by answerIng such requests politely as follows:

Dear eBayer, 

I regret i could not accept your offers. The price is firm, but thank you for your interest in my item.

Sincerely,

Seller

Doing it this way still enables them to buy the item at full price once they understand you are not negotiating your terms. More often than not, this approach works in gaining otherwise lost sales.

I've sent this particular buyer my minimum price 3 or 4 times over the last few months.  I'm pretty sure that this buyer's "requests for a better price" would continue after the purchase.  Besides fall will be here soon enough and I'll sell to someone that isn't trying to buy it "in this difficult time".

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 9 of 30
latest reply

My backend stats are more impressive than the stats visible to the public. Although I get why people disagree with my blocking habits it is one of the ways I tend to protect myself. Some of my listing strategies help too assuming people read the listing 🤪
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

A lot of sellers over value their items. They are suppose to try to sell these items but a lot of sellers are asking for too much and that's why the items don't sell for the price they want. Some sellers not saying you think they're holding onto Gold. I'm not blaming Corona. I'm just saying sellers should have items priced more fair so they can actually sell their items. Right now on eBay there's a ton of junk that isn't selling because sellers want an arm and a leg for stuff that may be rare but the problem is that even if something is rare it doesn't always mean it's sought after. Like I've seen items that are damaged and beat up that are lesser common items that sellers are asking a lot for. They don't realize that something being damaged decreases the value a lot on it.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Yes, some items might have gone down due to this situation like gas and  newer used cars. Never seen so many cars sitting on dealer lots before.

anyways back on subject but due to this situation it has also increased the values of  many other items because it made it harder to get.  

For example a guy pointed out at work the prime rib we sell. a few weeks ago it was in the low $20.00 range per pound. Sunday night when he pointed it out we sell it for $48.99 a pound now.  last week a different employee went out Saturday night and had prime rib takeout and it cost him $55. I thought that was nuts until I saw our in store price. not sure now.

I have only eaten at home since this started so have no clue if the prime rib at the place I like to go went up too or what other takeout food is right now.  I was well prepared before this happened so I had to buy very little since this started. yep, didn't even had to buy tp yet since this crisis. did buy eggs and yes they have tripled in price.

anyways other products are going up too besides food.  People are going to have to make a decision on what to buy if they are low on funds.  But don't expect us sellers to cut our prices because when are inventory is gone then we will be paying a higher price to replace it besides the higher prices on necessary items.  so don't come and try to play the poor me game. Remember what they have been trying to drill in our heads the last few weeks.  WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. 

so some of my prices will be the same when I return next week but most of my prices will be going UP!

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@fuzzface50 wrote:

For example a guy pointed out at work the prime rib we sell. a few weeks ago it was in the low $20.00 range per pound. Sunday night when he pointed it out we sell it for $48.99 a pound now.  last week a different employee went out Saturday night and had prime rib takeout and it cost him $55. I thought that was nuts until I saw our in store price. not sure now.

Meat prices are going to double or triple in the coming months with all the processing plants shutting down. I've been bugging hubby to get a freezer for years. Now that he wants to get one, they're all sold out. People are going to be stocking up on meats. I guess I'll start canning some instead.

I wouldn't want to be a rancher right now...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:
My backend stats are more impressive than the stats visible to the public. Although I get why people disagree with my blocking habits it is one of the ways I tend to protect myself. Some of my listing strategies help too assuming people read the listing 🤪

Stats dont lie, youre apparently doing something right 😉   

Here you go..... 🥇  🏆   In appreciation for making Ebay a pleasant place to shop 

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@fuzzface50 wrote:

Meat prices are going to double or triple in the coming months with all the processing plants shutting down. I've been bugging hubby to get a freezer for years. Now that he wants to get one, they're all sold out. People are going to be stocking up on meats. I guess I'll start canning some instead.

I wouldn't want to be a rancher right now...

If you lived near me, I have one I would give you. Its a chest freezer...Its basically brand new, just has

d one deer (processed) in it but my shepherd ate that up  long ago...its been just sitting , running with  nothing in it but cold packs because we buy by the day around here (less waste, cleaner fridge  lol )

Message 15 of 30
latest reply