cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

policy and/or security violations email

I keep getting emails from eBay every month about "policy and security violations".  However when I click the link for it to show me what violations, it shows JAVASCRIPT under the "with active content" table.  However I do not know how to remove this?.  All eBay wants you to do is sign up for a $50 a month service to edit your auctions and that is **bleep**.

I am not using any other services for the auctions, no other programs, and not linking to any sites. I just have a simple typed description and that's it. I don't know why it's doing this.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Review thi8s board.  There are a number of other threads and at least one official announcement posted.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@unemployed_husky

You don't need to employ any services to remove active content. All the free tools are available to you.

I scanned your 47 listings using this scanner and it showed no violations.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm

However, if you have "Adult" listings or out-of-stock items, they won't appear in that scanner. Does eBay give you item numbers that have those violations? There can't be very many and we can help you clear those.  If you have no other listings and the messages have been ongoing for months, there may be a filter problem.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

There is 21 of them.  I cannot give you the item numbers because eBay does not let me copy/paste here and that's way too many to type out. I can't give a screenshot either because it won't all fit in one window.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@unemployed_husky

How about just one? I need something to run with.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

172921733127 is one of the ones listed in the "violation".

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@unemployed_husky

You have a bizarre situation in #172921733127

For some reason, you have added an editing mode to your text. It is called contenteditable="true"

So, when I visit that listing, I can actually edit the text and change it to something else. Now that alone may not be an issue, but you do have some keywords associated with that facility that are on eBay's hit list:

onkeyup=
onkeyDown=

If you removed all the red code below, that should probably clean up the issue:

<font size="2"><font face="Arial">Up for sale I have this </font></font>
<span role="textbox" id="wc0-LIST_PAGE_WRAPPER__-OCS_DESCRIBE_SECTION__-TITLE__-titleField__-textbox" data-w-onkeyup="immediateValueChange|wc0-LIST_PAGE_WRAPPER__-OCS_DESCRIBE_SECTION__-TITLE__-titleField__" data-w-onkeydown="keyDown|wc0-LIST_PAGE_WRAPPER__-OCS_DESCRIBE_SECTION__-TITLE__-titleField__" contenteditable="true">3M Super Disk 120MB LS-120 Dark Brown/Gold Floppy Disk. It is still in like-new condition because it was bought, and has only been used once in a vintage digital camera that later broke. It has never had data written to it. I cannot remember if the disk was formatted or not already, so I am advertising it as used, but I am pretty sure it never was.<br></span>

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

What? How is that even possible?  I have no idea how that happened and I certainly didn't do that.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

But if this keeps happening every time I list something, how do I stop it?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

That did fix the problem though. I went back and clicked the link in the eBay email and it has disappeared from the list about active content violations.  But now I'm up to 24. This is happening every time I list something for some reason.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@unemployed_husky

You may have a tricky editing mode on your browser. You may need to explain your listing process. Do you compose in a text editor and then copy/paste to eBay, or do you compose and type directly into eBay?

Which eBay listing form do you use?

Which browser?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I am using Mozilla Firefox 56.0b9, and I type my listing directly in eBay's listing text box. I always have it on basic editor mode (not HTML editor mode). I use no other editors. I do copy the text from the title and paste in the description though, maybe that's where it was coming from? I do not know any other eBay listing forms other than the back-asswards new one eBay has now that is a convoluted mess.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I used the HTML editor mode though just now and deleted all thattext, so my listings are all OK now, they all disappeared from the listing violations menu.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@unemployed_husky

I think the code may be coming from the title, but I can't duplicate it. If you have any Firefox plugins, you might turn them off to see if that changes matters. If you don't want to do that, then, when you copy the title, switch to HTML view and paste the title there. Switch back to the standard text editor and finish your description.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Alright.  I've had weird HTML bugs in text form boxes for over a year (where line breaks happen at random after typing text and clicking Publish Comment) on other websites. I have a lot of addons so it would take forever to diagnose.  Can I just type my descriptions in HTML mode though?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply