cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one thing about working from home, online sales

I've been hearing from people staying home and they talk about housecleaning, projects, board games, TV, etc.  I am bemused because my life has virtually not changed except for losing my inventory sources. It will be different if I run out of the backlog (always at the back of my mind). But as it is, I am still doing the usual stuff and the days go by pretty quickly.  I guess the main change is having my daughter home from college.  we aren't all over each other all the time but have still spent time together and that's super great.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: one thing about working from home, online sales

The DH is working from home and it's nice to have his company - during the week we don't see each other that much more often since he's in his computer room working and I'm in my home office or about in various areas working, but since I lost my buddy cat who used to follow me around and talk to me (the other cat is NO help at all) it gets a bit dull here, so it's nice to see him bop out to fix some lunch and we chat.

Miss going to the pub, though, and my friends and I don't get together because of social distancing so we miss each other. 

My oldest friend has started street dances on the street in front of his house - people are careful not to get too close (unless they're couples) but there's plenty of room to spread out.  He was startled at having 16 people show up the other evening, though, so it might get to be a bit of an issue.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I like being at home , but this is even getting to me.

My large extended family all live fairly close to each other

& we were used to seeing each other all the time.

We usually have my grandson at least 2 days & nights a week,

sometimes more depending on my son & DIL's work schedules.

I haven't seen my grandson for a month.

They don't want to bring him here because Both my son & DIL

work in a hot spot here in PA.

They don't want to take the chance of bringing the virus here.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

My house flooded last month and I'm still not back in to it completely.  I'm living in my RV in the backyard and spending lots of time working in my workshop.  I have lost all of my selling venues, except eBay, due to Covid-19.   I don't know if Christmas in July will happen here in my city this year and have my doubts about Fall street fairs,too.  So, I don't really know what I will do with all of the ornaments I am making.  Donate them I guess 😊

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@chapeau-noir 

Your friend's street dances takes me back to my childhood. Street hockey is a big thing here in Canada, and one reason for stopping the game is a cry of "Car" and both nets get picked up and carried to the  sidewalk until the vehicle passes by.

A game started in September 1952 when families moved into our new suburb and did not end until the kids all got married in the late 70s.

DH and I are both retired, but he has an active social life. I prefer to be at home.

And as a lady told me many years ago. "I promised to love him for better or worse. But no one mentioned lunch!"

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

People here play soccer in the roads but I did see two playing badminton - which is funny around here because the wind is almost always blowing - when I was out running I saw some pretty fabulous saves in the last badminton game (it's a portable net, like the hockey net, that can be moved around).

I've been working from home on and off since before telecommuting became a 'thing' and find I get a lot more done, but it depends on the job.  When I was a senior editor I was of course on-site - this made it easier for as many people as possible to stuff themselves into my cubicle and start yelling about semi-colons and why was I so savage with the red pen.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

I've been hearing from people staying home and they talk about housecleaning, projects, board games, TV, etc.  I am bemused because my life has virtually not changed except for losing my inventory sources. It will be different if I run out of the backlog (always at the back of my mind). But as it is, I am still doing the usual stuff and the days go by pretty quickly.  I guess the main change is having my daughter home from college.  we aren't all over each other all the time but have still spent time together and that's super great.

My life is pretty much the same too, except I don't get to eat out at restaurants and go dancing. My partner is pretty upset about not being able to go out and do things but the current crisis is causing him to have lots of work to do.

For inventory sources, the B&M store is closed, but they have lots of inventory. I can get some of it once in a while, but since he's not buying stuff right now there is no new things coming in. Right before the crisis hit and he was forced to lay everyone off and close, he gave me several boxes of inventory to take home and try and sell. (It's mostly military and police stuff, like patches, uniform buttons and pins).

The good news is, those binders of military items contain around 200 items, which will take a long time to get listed (not to mention there's a whole bunch of photos I have in the queue for listing). But since I'm still working full time, I'm not getting time to work on my eBay store.

C.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

We both miss going to the pubs, that's for certain.  We're also concerned for pub owners and their employees. 

Can't say I mind the clear roads, though - nice to be able to go running without feeling like I have a target on my back (bike riding it's not so bad).

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I teach middle school special education, so I’m working full time in distance learning mode. And very grateful to have a stable paycheck.

Plus this whole thing let me go stay with my daughter, who had her first baby Saturday morning. Grateful for that, too, since her husband is stationed away and caught in the military travel ban.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

Plus this whole thing let me go stay with my daughter, who had her first baby Saturday morning. Grateful for that, too, since her husband is stationed away and caught in the military travel ban.

I think that goes to show there is so much havoc and disruption the media  isn't even mentioning the impact of travel bans on our military and other situations. 

For example, I was told by someone with a relative working at a hospital that hospitals are being hit hard financially due to the suspension of elective surgeries which I guess are paid for well enough to keep them going.  Some may go bankrupt. You have to wonder how much it must cost to treat a person with COVID in the ICU.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

My oldest brother works at a hospital  middle of this mess and they are closing... cause they are a surgery hospital, for the most part it's all they do.  As each patient gets sent home and new ones aren't coming in he has less and less reason to be there (he works in the cafeteria part, making the food for the patients and the rest of the hospital). 

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

For me personally nothing has changed. I rarely go to town, maybe once or twice a month, so I'm used to being at home. Hubby has been on paid vacation the past couple of weeks but will be going back Thursday unless he decides to extend it unpaid.  With the store being closed to the public now overnight, I don't worry as much for him. Baby girl still working overtime at the hospital - she's the one I worry about the most.

I'm still doing the same things I always do, mainly work outside in the garden and yard. Most of my sourcing is done on Ebay, and I have a ton of stuff to still go through when I decide to do so.

About the hospital situation, ours here is the largest non-metropolitan hospital in the US. They have plenty of supplies, so that's not a problem. There are 18 covid positive inpatients across all of the system hospitals (five, I think) and 120 or so outpatients. Elective surgeries like hip, knee, etc. have been cancelled for a while now. The administrative staff is taking a 25% pay cut and many hospital employees have been furloughed unpaid for what could be three months or more. The CEO says they are going to be losing approx. $28 million per month. 

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

You have to wonder how much it must cost to treat a person with COVID in the ICU.

My daughter is a CCU, AKA ICU, nurse.  She says just the CCU room in the hospital she works at is $6,000.00 per day.  Any treatment is on top of the $6,000.00 per day.

Here is her Easter 2020 picture.  She is working today with her CCU Covid-19 patients.  Bless her heart.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

My regular work scheduled hasn't changed much.

What I have found is that because so many family and friends are home so much, my phone is going off constantly with people wanting to chat or text.  My former free "home" time seems be interrupted more.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply