cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ok sellers do I have to eat this?

item was shown as delivered to my door but it was not there.

I looked around in the bushes etc....not there.

I have never had a package stolen off my porch before but I guess its possible 

so I paid for the item and don't have it and there is nothing I can do right?

Message 1 of 108
latest reply
107 REPLIES 107

@nmemoryof wrote:

I am not confusing the two.  I explained the use of both.  One protects the investment as it travels.  The other stops it from being plopped on a porch all day where it can be stolen.  The first is the seller's responsibility.  The seller is not obligated to insure an item sitting on a porch all day.   Neither is the carrier.

Please never buy from me.  I often require signature confirmation and offer it at times it's not required.  Better to spend under $3  than to play insurance company for a $700 item (under your $750 limit).

P.S.  Buyers are sometimes liars.  They can claim they didn't receive something that they did receive. If the carrier can prove delivery, neither seller nor carrier is responsible for it after that.  Now it is my understanding that the loss would still fall on the seller if the item was not insured.  He's an easy target and was willing to take the risk for transit.   But insured, the responsibility is next on the carrier.  If delivery is proven, it's on the buyer.

You are incorrect. If an item shows as Delivered, the seller would win the INR case. Hands down. The seller's responsibility is to mail an undamaged item to the buyer with tracking. The buyer's responsibility is to have a safe place for that package to be delivered to. I've had people claim "I get packages stolen all the time!" really? Then get a PO box.  

That is one time ebay will always back you up. If it shows delivered, the seller is out of the loop. They did their part.  

Insurance is meaningless in this issue. I've never insured a package --and the 2 packages that 'vanished', ebay denied the claim as the packages showed as Delivered on the tracking.  

RIP my Kitty, my fur buddy; Gizmo. 4/9/19.
Seventeen years was not enough.
Message 76 of 108
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:

@cahud_80 wrote:

@nmemoryof wrote:

Yes it does.  Insurance has a lot to do with it.  If it is lost or damaged in shipping, the carrier pays if you bought insurance.  I've had this very thing happen.  I bought insurance and the carrier had PROOF of delivery.  The carrier did not want to pay for the item that was on a porch all day.  Since then I buy signature confirmation a lot more frequently.   My expense.  It's worth it.  But it's not to protect me.  Insurance protects me.  Signature confirmation protects the buyer from a potential porch theft.

It can also backfire when the buyer has to go down to the post office to sign.

I'd

we will sell her a big fat and egg for anything under $750 value that I had to sign for because I'd have to take a half day off work driving to town to sign.

I use signature confirmation on anything over $100 but I put that in my description. I. Can’t afford to lose expensive items so they will be signed for.

UPS is requiring sig conf for all packages. Even a $20.00 item I ordered from ebay!  What a pain the a33 for me to have to hassel with that, it infuriates me. If a listing says they ship UPS, I don't buy. If they say they required sig conf, I don't buy.  So who knows how many sales you lose because you have that in your description? 

RIP my Kitty, my fur buddy; Gizmo. 4/9/19.
Seventeen years was not enough.
Message 77 of 108
latest reply

@nmemoryof wrote:

If the carrier can prove delivery, neither seller nor carrier is responsible for it after that.  Now it is my understanding that the loss would still fall on the seller if the item was not insured. But insured, the responsibility is next on the carrier.  If delivery is proven, it's on the buyer.

"If the carrier can prove delivery, neither seller nor carrier is responsible for it after that. "

And the seller and carrier prove delivery through TRACKING. Full stop.

"Now it is my understanding that the loss would still fall on the seller if the item was not insured."

By "loss," are you talking about the dollar value of the package? Or "loss" meaning losing an INR case through eBay? I believe most of the posters in this thread are talking about the loss of an INR case.

Signature confirmation does not prove anything above and beyond what tracking does. They both fulfill the exact same purpose. If tracking shows it's delivered, it's delivered. Having another layer of confirmation (as in signature confirmation) does not help one whit. A seller wins with tracking showing delivered. What's the point of having signature confirmation? A seller cannot win twice.

Message 78 of 108
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

What's the point of having signature confirmation? A seller cannot win twice.

The only reason I ever use it when I am not required to is to keep stuff from hanging out on a porch all day.

A big box on it that says ebay all over it, is an easy target.

Message 79 of 108
latest reply

Hi,  @executioner4you  just to clarify, the seller is not responsible if the item was stolen, but eBay does hold the seller accountable for the carrier service. For example, if the item is late, the seller can take a hit to his metrics. Ebay considers the carrier to be an extension of the seller since he selected and entered into a contract with it.

I didn't know this.....

Message 80 of 108
latest reply

anyway I will be at my UPS store at 10 am when they open...

I hope I don't have an issue with this----I couldn't get there sooner due to work.

and to clarify...

my little nephews dinosaur arrived safe and sound from Amazon...

the package delivered by UPS did not.

they were on the same day ( tuesday) 

which makes me think it was a carrier mistake.

as for someone being a porch pirate...

ugh, I hate to think that. 

I live in a closed kind of development...the only people that drive by are my neighbors ---for the most part.

Message 81 of 108
latest reply

What service delivered the Amazon package?

your situation is one reason why I have a security camera at my front door. 

Message 82 of 108
latest reply

in my neck of the woods USPS delivers amazon.

Message 83 of 108
latest reply

here is the frustrating update on this.

The UPS store gave me a pfffft.

said they cannot help me as they are just a retail outlet for UPS.

I called the 800 number for UPS and they cannot help me either...

since the shipper used  SUREPOST (??) the shipper has to file the claim.

let see how this goes.....I'll contact the "have a nice day" seller now.

Message 84 of 108
latest reply

@def.a.posting.id wrote:

here is the frustrating update on this.

The UPS store gave me a pfffft.

said they cannot help me as they are just a retail outlet for UPS.

I called the 800 number for UPS and they cannot help me either...

since the shipper used  SUREPOST (??) the shipper has to file the claim.

let see how this goes.....I'll contact the "have a nice day" seller now.

@def.a.posting.id 

If the seller used SurePost, that means your regular USPS mailman is responsible for the last leg of delivery. Contact your local post office to inquire about the package.

Message 85 of 108
latest reply

you would think so and that is what the UPS rep. told me on the phone---but nope for some reason this package 

never went over to USPS --UPS rep. says it was delivered by UPS.

I'm getting confused and working on accepting that I am going to have to eat this.

Message 86 of 108
latest reply

@def.a.posting.id wrote:

you would think so and that is what the UPS rep. told me on the phone---but nope for some reason this package 

never went over to USPS --UPS rep. says it was delivered by UPS.

I'm getting confused and working on accepting that I am going to have to eat this.

Have you eliminated the possibility that the UPS delivered scan is the scan showing it handed over to your local post office? The zip code is most likely the same as yours. I'd insist my local PO take another look. 

Message 87 of 108
latest reply

((((((Tulip)))))

Big hug.

I’m in awe of parents with children who have special needs.  I’m a K - 3 SpEd teacher, so I know what’s involved.

Message 88 of 108
latest reply

UPS is requiring sig conf for all packages. Even a $20.00 item I ordered from ebay! 

I don't have to sign for packages delivered by UPS. 

::general reply below::

The clearest, simplest policy ebay has is what constitutes delivery and ends the seller's responsibility.  It's amazing that there are 5 pages to this thread.  (OP, I hope you find your package.)

I'm still sitting on $$$$ in my paypal account for a (now third) claim initially filed by a buyer in December.  Paypal didn't put a hold on the money but I'm not going to spend it yet, obviously.

This buyer, on the 2nd claim filed, talked UPS into letting her file the claim for damage but she never took the huge box and 30 separate pieces of the set in to UPS to be examined.  I know this because since I was the shipper, UPS had to tell me what was going on.  The buyer didn't know UPS was telling me all.   Buyer lost that case with paypal (and the first one filed with ebay).

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 89 of 108
latest reply

I think you might have solved this. Maybe it was just the scan to the post office before delivery and will there shortly. Hopeful...
Message 90 of 108
latest reply