cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new user agreement effective aug 30 2019, released via ebay msg sept 13th 2019, 14-day acceptance

so we only get one day to read and accept the new user agreement?

doug@ebay 

brian@ebay 

@Anonymous 

what gives?  is this really what sellers can expect from ebay now and going forward, 1 day?  the new agreement doesn't even give a list of effective changes or annotate/highlight the new changes in any way or fashion.  so we are supposed to do word by word comparisons?  does ebay even have career professionals who know how to promulgate changes effectively and clearly?  what exactly are the parts that changed?

this is just a mass dump of something …. not sure what because in and of itself it does not clearly delineate what the changes are, it only provides a final document that does not say what was changed ...

… in your response could you please give an overview of the concise changes as they should be? once sellers read them, they can re-read the complete user agreement and have full understanding … thereby making a fully informed decision regarding the same.  … oh, and can you clarify why you are only giving sellers 1 day to do all of this?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: new user agreement effective aug 30 2019, released via ebay msg sept 13th 2019, 14-day acceptanc

@bprbargains 

from what I gather ebay will still collect the taxes and send to states (while drawing interest on them.).  but if I read right … now the taxes will show as a 2nd transaction.  I am not sure if the 2nd transaction for taxes is charged to the buyer for taxes … or if the 1st transaction will have the taxes included to the seller (where ebay can charge fees) … and then the 2nd transaction taken from the seller to the taxes sludge fund which ebay holds).

it would be nice to get some clarification here ...

@Anonymous 

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Re: new user agreement effective aug 30 2019, released via ebay msg sept 13th 2019, 14-day acceptanc

@dasarock wrote:

but if I read right … now the taxes will show as a 2nd transaction.  I am not sure if the 2nd transaction for taxes is charged to the buyer for taxes … or if the 1st transaction will have the taxes included to the seller (where ebay can charge fees) … and then the 2nd transaction taken from the seller to the taxes sludge fund which ebay holds).

Taxes are a second separate charge to the buyer just as they've been doing all along.

Even though it was still after August 30, every single seller was notified on September 4. It's on the Fall Seller Update page.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-fall/index.html

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@dasarock wrote:

@theleenapida 

link:  https://mesg.ebay.com/mesgweb/ViewMessageDetail/0/All/116436862801

brian said that the changes in this part are in the MARKET PLACE FACILITATOR TAXES in a post above

…. today is the 14day review/decision day where you either accept it or close (to my understanding)

Unfortunately the wording that Trinton used in his post does not say that this was the only change in the agreement, only that he could confirm that Ebay changed the section regarding collection of sales tax.  Like you I wish that Ebay would show the areas that have the changes so it would be easier for Sellers and Buyers to see all of the issues that were changed, which is what most companies do when sending out an email or even snail mail with changes to the Terms of Service or User Agreement.

Ebay has many attorneys who work on these changes and I am sure they do not do a summary of all the changes because that would most likely show changes that Ebay hopes that we do not catch, or things they have already been doing but finally added to the UA.  This is just another tool  in a long list of changes where Ebay never really gives a clear answer so that they can decide things on a case by case basis later on.  

Like you I am not going to take the time to take the time to do a word for word comparison but I would lay very good odds that there are more changes to the UA than just the sales tax modification.  This is just my opinion based on past history.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Just keep asking until you solve your problem. You can call ebay or Paypal. They will help you.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

My email explains the changes:
At eBay, we strive to make our policies clear and our services easy to use. As part of that commitment, we’re announcing some changes to the eBay User Agreement.

Our updated User Agreement will take effect on August 30, 2019 for all users. You can read the updated User Agreement as of August 30, 2019, on eBay.com.

Key updates:
● The changes relate to eBay’s on-going rights and responsibilities related to marketplace tax collection.

Thank you for being a part of the eBay community.

Sincerly,
eBay Team
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I hope you're being sarcastic about the changes being "explained":

- Ebay announces the rules "will" change, effective two weeks prior to the announcement. 

- The announcement comprises a few words about what the changes "relate" to.  No specifics, and no link to any comparison between old and new versions.

This is communication that is so miserable, it's most likely deliberate.  Even Ebay couldn't be that incompetent at conveying information.  I assume they are trying to conceal the relevant information to the extent possible.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Whenever Ebay makes changes to its UA - and goes to great lengths to hide what those changes are as they did here - you just KNOW the changes are aimed at fattening Ebay's profits at the expense of its sellers and buyers.  In this case - it looks like Ebay is collecting the taxes so it can have free money to put into a big slush fund that it invests in the markets and profits from.  This would be a financial windfall for Ebay. 

... Who knows how many other changes they've made in this latest update (since they don't specifically tell us what changes they've made) to collect money that doesn't belong to them.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@illusions1137 wrote:

Whenever Ebay makes changes to its UA - and goes to great lengths to hide what those changes are as they did here - you just KNOW the changes are aimed at fattening Ebay's profits at the expense of its sellers and buyers.  In this case - it looks like Ebay is collecting the taxes so it can have free money to put into a big slush fund that it invests in the markets and profits from.  This would be a financial windfall for Ebay. 

... Who knows how many other changes they've made in this latest update (since they don't specifically tell us what changes they've made) to collect money that doesn't belong to them.

Yes, Ebay will profit from the interest on the taxes they collect, this is not something they actually wanted to have to do and are still fighting at the national level to try and get out of it in some way as the cost to them to have to handle this will probably out weigh any gains that they may make as they have to hire staff whose only jobs will be to make sure that Ebay makes their deposits to each state on time as well as filing all of the forms correctly with each state.  I am sure that down the line they will also have to deal with audits from the various states to make sure that they are collecting the proper amounts (which I am sure they are not with all of the various additional taxes for each district in each state plus the amounts they are collecting on items that should not be taxed).  I don't know about other states but California also looked at amounts collected to make sure that amount was also remitted to the state so there was no profit for the company.  Those audits alone will cause Ebay to expend a lot of time and effort proving the accuracy of their programs which we already know is a problem for them.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

lol, I just got another ebay msg from ebay on the 16th of September for the 30 august user agreement changes --- TWO DAYS after sellers have AUTOMATICALLY ACCEPTED THEM if they did not remove all listings and close stores by the end of the 14th.  eBay's timing and sense of fair play simply amazes me 🙂

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

too funny!  just got the ebay message notifying  re 30aug2019 user agreement changes on another of my selling accounts.  17 days after it went into effect!

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

thank you
Message 27 of 28
latest reply

thank you very much
Message 28 of 28
latest reply