cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new 600 dollar SALES threshold for IRS Reporting , and ebay 1099-k required

This is  what's going on  with the  draconian,   insane  IRS requirement  for ebay to send far too many sellers  a 1099-k form, which is also sent to the IRS.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/news/nta-blog-heard-loud-and-clear-irs-postpones-implementation... 

If we  sold more than $600  worth of anything during each year, it will be reported to the IRS  and their system will treat it as reportable  income. Even if you are selling at a loss, or reselling a used item  of yours, and you won't legally be required to pay any tax on it. If you did not make a profit off of it., or your income is too low, then you won't owe anything. Yet this horriffic new  Biden admin rule,  tells the IRS that you do owe or  that it should show on your tax form. You will then have to prove that you  didn't make a profit.

This could be impossible for people who don't  have a receipt, or are selling items  that are 5, 10, 20, or 50 years old. No record may exist for what you paid for it,  only what you sold it for.

This  will be triggering  the  IRS system  for God knows what, to send out a fake  notice of discrepancy if your  tax returns ( or by not filing), show  something different  from what they THINK they  know about your  income.

This is outrageous and detrimental, it is not a truthful  way of informing the IRS at all.
Previously, before Biden's new regulation, the reporting threshold was $20,000  worth of online sales, and 200  transactions, before  ebay had to send out a 1099-k to you and report it to the IRS.

So this recent change is   just not workable at all,  it is now being  put in action since January 2023,  and  sellers  can expect to receive a 1099-k if they have sold 600 bucks or more of household used items. Also, this  will be reported to the IRS.

OUTRAGEOUS!

*********Now that  there's a change of who controls congress, we all need to step up and call our Representatives and demand it return to what it was before. Or give us exemptions.

Give good reasons in your letter or call -   such as, We are selling used items  of our own , we aren't a business. we are just trying to get SOME of our money back  by selling stuff we couldn't return   to the store, etc.( be truthful of course) *********

Message 1 of 426
latest reply
425 REPLIES 425

Re: new 600 dollar SALES threshold for IRS Reporting , and ebay 1099-k required

I am so  happy,  that this has now been changed due to so many people speaking out and contacting  congress etc !

i am really  thanking God because i prayed about it and so did a lot of people.

The future isn't  100 percent certain though, so  i'm gonna keep praying.  it's gone way too far  already. !

Message 421 of 426
latest reply

The only thing that's been changed, is they decided to delay it another year.

Hopefully next year, they won't delay it again.

Have a great day
Message 422 of 426
latest reply

@themayqueen wrote:

are you imagining that my post is  about me?  it 's about millions of people who are being  hassled for no reason,   it's part of the recent general  legislation  that also tried to  surveil all of our banking transactions of any kind and literally EVERYTHING  that's more than $600 accumulative, in a year. !!! plus the 1099's. You're really ok with that? .it's disturbing   and  pointless, at that level. And yes i often advocate for millions and  have done so for  decades.  I've spoken with  legislators  as well.

--last time i looked, if it isn't used, then it's New; doesn't have to be brand new this year.    i  only put my  best UNUSED vintage supplies  up, I use the rest for my crafting , but I have  to make it pay for itself. I use good descriptions, good disclosure, people don't complain.

You seem to assume that those that might receive a 1099K for $600 or so would then owe more taxes.  That is simply not the case.  In fact most if not all of those that have a low income [according to IRS] are likely to see NOT ADDITIONAL taxes needing to be paid once they take the costs away from that $600.

It is much to do about nothing.  Low income people are highly likely to be just fine.  

AGAIN, the transactions going into a bank account has NEVER been lowered to $600.  That still sits at $10,000 before the bank has to report a transaction to the IRS.  As I've explained in more detail before, with links to the CORRECT information for you, you are confusing two DIFFERENT things and presenting them as one.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 423 of 426
latest reply

"The reporting threshold for third party settlement organizations, which include payment apps and online marketplaces, was changed to $600 by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. The IRS announced a delay in implementing this change for tax year 2023, which covers tax returns generally filed in early 2024.

Although the Form 1099-K reporting threshold for 2023 is $20,000, companies could still send the form for totals over $600."

They changed it  back to 20,000 for 2023  tax year. 

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/understanding-your-form-1099-k

All marketplaces do NOT have to issue 1099Ks unless they are the Money Processor too.  So if it is simply a marketplace that allows a different money processor to process payments, it is that Money Processor that is responsible for issuing the proper 1099Ks.

Why would a company send out 1099Ks for less than the threshold??  That is an added expense to that company that they don't have to incur.  

For 2023 the threshold is like it has been in past years which is as you said the $20,000, but you forgot to mention it also must be for 200+ transactions.  So someone that was paid $20,000 with 100 transactions would not get a 1099K per the IRS rule.

There is also several STATES that have their own requirements for a 1099K, many are less than the IRS threshold right now, so those will get issued if appropriate.

Message 424 of 426
latest reply

"I know, it's been EXTREMELY confusing. It's  delayed til the end of Dec, and it then most likely changes  to a higher amount than $600 according to them. ( like $5000)  It's a battle being fought in Congress. So here's the direct link that tells you a lot  more about it on the IRS website. "

Yet another assumption on your part.   There has been no such battle for the reduction of the threshold in 2022 or 2023.  IRS made the decision.  They may have cleared it with the Congress, I simply don't know.  But as far as I know there was no "battle".

Message 425 of 426
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This thread has been closed as discussion has remained heated after several reminders from moderators to remain friendly and respectful as required by the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 426 of 426
latest reply