cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for a seller in baton rouge, la

i have a lot of stuff i need to sell but can't handle  it on my own, looking for a honest person to help me

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

@toysaver wrote:

Who's social security number will be given to the IRS for income tax purposes?  Are you willing to wait a year for the money until the chance of asking for a chargeback or refund is complete?

The sellers would be, then the seller may be required to file a 1099 for the owner of the items

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Hmm, I live in the Baton Rouge area also and came across this thread because I have a few things to sell also and was hoping finding a 3rd party seller was a possibility.   I've been on ebay a long time but only as a buyer, which is much easier than a seller.   I glanced at all the selling tools and it seems a bit complicated to learn just to get rid of a dozen items even if they are worth some money.     I'd have been willing to pay a third of the sales price as consignment, but from all these comments it seems the risk is too great for anyone to take it on.  If these selling risks are so bad, I'm surprised anyone sells anything on here at all.

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

I'd have been willing to pay a third of the sales price as consignment,

@manchacofficerepair 

Nobody wants to work for 33% of something that never sells.  Nobody wants to do it for 33% of 20$.    You may find someone local that wants to buy the products outright, or someone to work for an hourly wage from your computer. How much per hour you want to pay? 

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

Probably the majority of sellers here are selling their own things and are aware of the income tax burden.  On the other hand, selling for someone else is not a risk lots of people want to take.  As mentioned, the fact that the IRS will see the income as being accrued by the person doing the selling for someone else. Also, there's the fact that many owners over-value in their own minds the items they want to sell.  In addition, it's not really over and done with for 6 months because a buyer can open a Paypal case or do a charge back on his credit card for (at least) that long.  Negative feedback from any buyer goes on the record of the seller, not of the consignor.  Just a few things to think about and just a few reasons why finding someone to sell for you will not be easy.  

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

Many people that want someone else to sell for them also refuse to hand over the item when it does sell.......leaving the seller to earn a defect on their account. That jeopardizes the seller's account.

If I were to sell someone else's item I would ask for my fee upfront and utilize immediate payment on a buy it now listing.

Would you be willing to give me a 500.00 item along with 100.00 fee for selling it?

In addition, you would pay the final value fees and any other expenses like shipping tax and packaging costs.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 20 of 30
latest reply

Hey, I'm honest and in Baton Rouge (a retired Exxon transplant) and I read this board every day.  I understand the concerns the other responders have about selling for someone else, but if albert6502's account was the one being used, then I think the tax and many other hassles can be avoided.  There would need to be a lot of mutual trust for such an arrangement to work.  In my case, however, I struggle to find the time to list even the items I already have on hand.

BTW, I sell LSU and Louisiana items (can't resist a free commercial) and if you have any to unload, let me know.

@albert6502 

@redmodelt 

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Others have already responded with regards to somebody helping you sell. If you have a "lot" of stuff to sell find an estate sale company or a consignment auction house in your area. I move several things through a consignment auction company. Their fees are split between the seller and the buyer so my fees are not that much more than they are on eBay and I have little to no risk, the auction house handles everything and simply sends me a check. There are a few in your area. 

https://www.yellowpages.com/baton-rouge-la/consignment-auction 

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Go to facebook marketplace and advertise locally there. The odds of you finding someone here in your area are slim to none.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

@mephamhighgrad wrote:

...  if albert6502's account was the one being used...  

I would never sell on someone else's account, and here's why:  If for any reason, at any time,  that person's account is sanctioned, restricted, or shut down by eBay, my account will be treated just the same.   Any connection, even a tenuous one, between eBay accounts means that what happens to one, happens to both.   You can read some sad stories on this board about that very thing.

I believe there may be a way that a joint account can be set up, but I would not risk even that.

-

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

Lol, I wouldn't waste my own time for $20, much less someone elses.  I own a small office equipment company and sometimes have overstock I no longer need.  According to completed listings, these parts or kits are selling for between $100 & $400 each.     So, if it sells for $300, that's a hundred bucks just to list and ship brand new unopened genuine OEM kit, with no worries about defective returns or issues.    Seems like a good deal to me, but that's ok.   It always slows down during the holidays, I'll take the time and learn to sell and keep all that extra money for myself.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Are you in Baton Rouge, if so then yes I may be willing to hand over the $500 item for you to list and ship.  I don't know why you need money also in advance, that sounds kinda scammy.    You can look it up for yourself, see that it sells, take out your fee plus shipping and ebay fees and give me the rest.   If you screw me and keep it all for yourself, you just lost a honeyhole of good quality items that will sell.    I find that you can make more money being honest and having integrity in the long run than by taking advantage of someone in the short run. 

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

I saw your post and had to go check out your LSU items for sale.   I saw you had a Nick Saban book from year 2000, you're gonna have a hard time selling that locally lol.    I was working at LSU that year in the press box when they won the championship.    I was lead tech for copiers/printers at the time over there and they paid me to sit up there and make sure the machine didn't break down, and aftewards I got to go upstairs to the afterparty with free food and booze.   The woman I ended up marrying was a volunteer up there with the TAF, and low and behold 20 years later our daughter just made the Tiger band a couple months ago on a full scholarship.    This was an interesting trip down memory lane.   I think I'll save you in my sellers to keep an eye out for LSU goodies.   I'm in the market for a large blow up LSU tiger to put in my front yard, the neighbor across the street is a bama fan and has all kind of stuff he puts out when they play.   Time to fight fire with fire lol. 

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@manchacofficerepair wrote:

Hmm, I live in the Baton Rouge area also and came across this thread because I have a few things to sell also and was hoping finding a 3rd party seller was a possibility.   I've been on ebay a long time but only as a buyer, which is much easier than a seller.   I glanced at all the selling tools and it seems a bit complicated to learn just to get rid of a dozen items even if they are worth some money.     I'd have been willing to pay a third of the sales price as consignment, but from all these comments it seems the risk is too great for anyone to take it on.  If these selling risks are so bad, I'm surprised anyone sells anything on here at all.

If your were serious about a consignment deal to sell on eBay, think about getting 30% of the sale price for yourself after eBay fees and sellers cut. 

Posting ID
Message 28 of 30
latest reply

Yea, that's a little low.  I might have been fine with half after everything was said and done, but for that much I will bite the bullet and learn how to sell, it can't be that difficult.   After 15 years of buying, I guess it's about time to learn the other side of ebay.   It's probably pretty easy once you do it a couple times.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

@albert6502 wrote:

i have a lot of stuff i need to sell but can't handle  it on my own, looking for a honest person to help me

What salary and benefits do you offer?

Around here someone can make $50K a year as a dishwasher in a restaurant. 

Message 30 of 30
latest reply