cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there yet any way to completely block a user, messages and all?

I am aware that a potential buyer can still contact you if they inquired about an item but has ebay fixed it to where if you put someone on your blocked list it instantly blocks their messages as well? even if they have messaged you about an item. I would like to just completely and instantly block them from any contact and do not feel like calling ebay each time it happens so something actually gets done.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: is there yet any way to completely block a user, messages and all?

Ebay does not allow sellers to block messages. Just ignore them if there was no sale

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

You can block users on your BBL from contacting you but it's not the default setting. You have to select that option, I think it's somewhere in the buyer requirements section, possibly on the same page as the BBL itself.

Even that may not completely block users and of course it won't stop anyone from using a different user id to contact you.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

There is a place you do this in account settings. I have mine set up that way, but if they have a recent, and I don't know what defines recent, transaction with you, they can still send you a message. If they don't, I think they get a generic, this seller is not taking questions at this time, or something like that.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

where would this option be in my preferences?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#block

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

My Ebay> Account> Site Preferences>Buyer Requirements.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I have this set and there's still one clown who emails harassing, spammy messages every once in a while - at one point every week or so he was messaging - so your results may vary. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I blocked a bidder several years ago. She was a collecter of old postcards and photographs, old paper dolls and such. She coud be a real pain in the butt to deal with so she was blocked by several old photo and postcard sellers. She could go from a sweet disposition to a fire breathing dragon in the blink of an eye. So i blocked her as well, but as soon as she found out, she begged and begged and begged me to unblock her because i had so many items that she wanted. She not only messaged me via email, but she had my phone number as well.

I took a chance and unblocked her, and she became one of my best all time repeat buyers. I could count on an average of about $250 per month of spending from her alone.

We actually became friends and chatted almost evey week on the phone. She was in Ireland and had a Skype account, so she would always call me.

She was a retired school teacher, as was my mom. She was a lonely older woman with very little family remaining, and none who were close in proximity to her. Her 'family' was her collections, and her bungalow apartment in Dublin was cluttered and packed with those collections. She accumulated more than 500 old dolls and many boxes of old photos and postcards - many of which she got from myself and several other photo sellers on eBay. I was her favorite seller though. In her eyes, i was the best thing ever on eBay.

She passed away a couple years ago, and there are times i miss the weekly chats we used to have, but here is the kicker: 

She named me in her will. She had no children and no other family to leave anything to. She had great affection for her collections, and could not bear the thought of those items so dear to her simply being tossed into the trash. She wanted each of those items to find good new homes - others who might appreciate them as she did. She thought i would be the best one for that job, so she left them to me - all the paper items - not the 500 dolls.

The dolls went to one of her only friends in Dublin - a man who would help her get shopping done, doctor's appointments, etc. He was also the guy who contacted me soon after she passed. I already knew of course, because we were 'friends' on Facebook as well. He was also the guy who packed the box to be sent to me. I know he did not send everything, because the box required would have been the size of a large appliance box. The box sent was not that size, but did contain some very nice stuff. Many of those items have found new homes already, but there are still many to go.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I remember this story of yours well. One of the best shared ones from last year or so. @best_vintage_photos

-

Lucas

*still rollin’ with the punches*

Sophie - Forever Sidekick: April 2006 to Sept 05, 2017

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

If a user is on the BBL, can they still make contact through the profile page?

The BBL does not block communication if there has been an exchange of messages.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Those are two separate block options.  You block the buyer from bidding and you block contact as well.  If you had a recent transaction, you can block contact but it won't block that contact.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

wrote:

I blocked a bidder several years ago. She was a collecter of old postcards and photographs, old paper dolls and such. She coud be a real pain in the butt to deal with so she was blocked by several old photo and postcard sellers. She could go from a sweet disposition to a fire breathing dragon in the blink of an eye. So i blocked her as well, but as soon as she found out, she begged and begged and begged me to unblock her because i had so many items that she wanted. She not only messaged me via email, but she had my phone number as well.

I took a chance and unblocked her, and she became one of my best all time repeat buyers. I could count on an average of about $250 per month of spending from her alone.

We actually became friends and chatted almost evey week on the phone. She was in Ireland and had a Skype account, so she would always call me.

She was a retired school teacher, as was my mom. She was a lonely older woman with very little family remaining, and none who were close in proximity to her. Her 'family' was her collections, and her bungalow apartment in Dublin was cluttered and packed with those collections. She accumulated more than 500 old dolls and many boxes of old photos and postcards - many of which she got from myself and several other photo sellers on eBay. I was her favorite seller though. In her eyes, i was the best thing ever on eBay.

She passed away a couple years ago, and there are times i miss the weekly chats we used to have, but here is the kicker: 

She named me in her will. She had no children and no other family to leave anything to. She had great affection for her collections, and could not bear the thought of those items so dear to her simply being tossed into the trash. She wanted each of those items to find good new homes - others who might appreciate them as she did. She thought i would be the best one for that job, so she left them to me - all the paper items - not the 500 dolls.

The dolls went to one of her only friends in Dublin - a man who would help her get shopping done, doctor's appointments, etc. He was also the guy who contacted me soon after she passed. I already knew of course, because we were 'friends' on Facebook as well. He was also the guy who packed the box to be sent to me. I know he did not send everything, because the box required would have been the size of a large appliance box. The box sent was not that size, but did contain some very nice stuff. Many of those items have found new homes already, but there are still many to go.

I remember this~this thread often shows as Most Popular.  Kathy in Ireland.  Her granddaughter (?) also named Kathy, bought a picture you had of her grandmother, and asked you for info, IIRC.  I have an amazing story to tell!  Great story; thank you for sharing it!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I recall everyone loved how you told that story, and suggested a book or a movie be made from it.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply