cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many subcategories I can have under one main catogary

I have over 150 categories, most of them are sub categories of no more than 20 main categories, I do have many levels of subcategories, for example, I have a category called accessories then I have cables under it then I have 10 different types of cable when I try to move or add AV Devices under accessory I'm told [The category you selected has existing listings in it. Please move the listings to a new category before moving forward.] are you referring to the accessories' category?

Any help, please?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

how many subcategories I can have under one main catogary

@collsamdistribution wrote:

I have over 150 categories, most of them are sub categories of no more than 20 main categories, I do have many levels of subcategories, for example, I have a category called accessories then I have cables under it then I have 10 different types of cable when I try to move or add AV Devices under accessory I'm told [The category you selected has existing listings in it. Please move the listings to a new category before moving forward.] are you referring to the accessories' category?

Any help, please?

You can have up to 300 categories total (I know because I have that many). As far as I have experienced there are no restrictions as to where or what they can be. Major, sub or sub-sub, etc categories.

But the rules are that you can move a category or change a category name if there are any items in that category.  However, you can not have BOTH a sub-category AND listings in the same category.  It is an either/or situation.  A category can not have listings AND a sub-category. If there are sub-categories then the listings must be in the sub-categories. If you want sub-sub-categories then the first sub-category can not gave listings they must all be in the sub-sub-categories.

Based on your question it appears that you are trying to add a sub-category to a category that already has listings in it. Sorry, but it is an either/or situation. If you want sub-categories then all of the listings in the category must be cleared (move therm to a temporary holding category), add the sub-category then move the temps into the sub-category.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply