cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I report a seller for grossly misrepresenting the product they were selling?

I ran across a seller in Tucson, AZ who falsely listed a 1998 Way 2 Fast Treasure Hunt as a "SUPER" Treasure Hunt and some clueless person paid $33 for it-the average sell price is around $8.00!  The buyer was "ripped off" by this fraudulent, dishonest, deceiving seller-the "Super" Hunts were not released until 2007!  Of course, the seller noted he did not accept returns.  The buyer probably did not realize that even if a seller states that, that if the buyer found out he had been deceived that he could get a refund.   I contacted Ebay so they were made aware of this dishonest seller.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: how do I report a seller for grossly misrepresenting the product they were selling?

@paysonazwannabe*2013 wrote:

how do I report a seller for grossly misrepresenting the product they were selling?

If you are a third party who has no idea what happened between the buyer and seller, you do not do anything - because you are not in a position know what happened.

Perhaps one of the realized the error and the transaction was never completed.

Perhaps the seller realized his error and refunded the buyer.

Perhaps the buyer WANTED that specific item for a reason you cannot possibly know. 

Perhaps the buyer filed a SNAD, returned an empty box and got refunded, and he is the one who actually ripped the seller off. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: how do I report a seller for grossly misrepresenting the product they were selling?

From what you said, you already reported the seller. Was this a phone call?

But as you were not party to the sale yourself, there isn't anything you can do other than report the listing itself, which is something you can do while it's running and MIGHT be something you can do after it's ended. 

It's really better to think in terms of reporting a problematic listing than reporting a seller, unless you are seeing numerous problem listings by the same seller.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I'm just commenting on your user name.  My parents live in Payson. 🙂  Beautiful place to live.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything.

It's nice of you to be concerned, but don't you have problems of your own to worry about? 

Life's too short. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I dont mean to come off rude, certainly not my intention but worry about your own yard, worry about your own business dealings, worry about your own customers or the people you buy from.

its not even a matter of your intentions being pure or not. Its just not any of your business and you flat out cant possibly know all of the details of whatever is going on there. There are so many valid possibilities that you do not have information on.

(unless this is a *my friend* kinda situation or you personally know the buyer....) A lot of good honest sellers get mistakenly screwed over by people who arnt minding their own.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I contacted Ebay so they were made aware of this dishonest seller.

------------------------------------------------

Well, it isn't something I would have done,

but if you have already contacted ebay and reported the seller, I don't understand what kind of answer you are seeking.  You have already answered your own question.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

dads-collectables
Thrill-Seeker

Were you part of the sale? There are documented processes and procedures within eBay to protect Buyers.

If not, perhaps best to focus on your own four walls.   : )

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@paysonazwannabe*2013 wrote:

I ran across a seller in Tucson, AZ who falsely listed a 1998 Way 2 Fast Treasure Hunt as a "SUPER" Treasure Hunt and some clueless person paid $33 for it-the average sell price is around $8.00!  The buyer was "ripped off" by this fraudulent, dishonest, deceiving seller-the "Super" Hunts were not released until 2007!  Of course, the seller noted he did not accept returns.  The buyer probably did not realize that even if a seller states that, that if the buyer found out he had been deceived that he could get a refund.   I contacted Ebay so they were made aware of this dishonest seller.

Maybe the seller was just as "clueless" as the buyer? Some sellers don`t have a lot of knowledge of what they are selling. This is one of the reasons ebay has a money back guarantee.

If the scenario would have been reversed and the higher dollar item was listed incorrectly and sold for only $8 would you have reported the transaction to ebay because the seller misrepresented it?

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

There is a report this listing option on every listing.  It is on the right hand side, just before the item description.  

Although reporting because you don't feel the price is right is really not an option.  Sellers get to choose what price they feel an item is worth, buyers get to choose whom they wish to buy from.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

So we should be reporting any seller who lists an item for more than most of the solds?  If so, we'd better do some stretching.  It's gonna be a lonnnnnng night for us all.

MYOB.  The "price police" position has already been filled.

Joe

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

You need to mind your own business. You should have learned that at some point in life. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

outrageous how many people have developed the 'narc on your neighbor' complex. I dont mean to pile on by saying it a second time but for all the OP knows hes seriously undervalued the item.

Maybe theres a misprint, maybe this is a transaction between acquaintances that feel more comfortable using ebay than paypal alone. And here comes random 3rd party Deputy price police to stick his nose where it has no business....

Reminds me of my neibhor she likes to have 13 piece brass bands 30 feet from my pillow but the moment I throw a log in my firepit in the winter on a just rained day and she throws a helicopter into the sky and a fire truck in front of my house to give my up to code fire pit the business.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply