cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

having one account for buying and one for selling?

whats the pros and cons of doing this??? i buy alot but also i sell alot..for me i think it would be a pain in the butt to switch between accounts and remember multiple passwords.especially when i come across stuff id like to buy as im listing stuff to sell....yes im one of those who sells stuff to support my shopping habit lol

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Advantages:

• If you have an issue with a seller, that seller cannot retaliate against you by buying an item and filing a false dispute. Sellers should not do that, but some do.
  • If you flip items for a profit, your buyers will not be able to see how much you paid for them by looking for them in your feedback. Buyers should not care, but some do.
  • If you bid on an item, some sellers might look at your feedback and notice that you are a reseller and cancel your bids or block you. Sellers should not care, but some do.
  • When posting to this board on your selling account, readers will not be able to look at your items for sale and offer unwelcome advice about problems with your listings. You really should not care, but some sellers do. 

Disadvantages: 

• You have to log into two accounts
  • When posting to this board on your buying account, some ignorant people will see no items for sale and dismiss or ridicule you or claim you are "afraid" to show your items for sale. They are wrong, but they will still do that. 
  • If you start a second account for buying, it will have low or zero feedback for a while.

If you do decide to create a second account, I would strongly advise using your current account as your selling account and starting a new buying account to retain your selling status and feedback on the most important account. 

But as you can see, I have no items for sale on this account - so I must not be a seller and thus I must have no idea  what I am talking about 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Do you sell what you buy here for a profit.

If so, separate accounts.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

You may find that most posters here have multiple acocunts.  One for posting and one or more for buying and selling.  Some sell antiques on one ID, electronics on another and clothing on a third for example.  Some may only do international on one ID and domestic on another.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sellers have been know to retaliate against buyers, who use the same account for buying and selling, by buying from them soley to punish them for opening a case/leaving bad feedback.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

nope....the stuff i sell to make a profit on comes from other places....the only time i resell stuff i bought from ebay is if i bought clothing or something that just doesnt look right on me so instead of doing the hassel of a return i just list it myself...if i get more then i paid great if i get less then i paid oh well life goes on lol

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I use two different browsers so I can be signed in to two or three accounts at the same time

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@tdumonde2014 wrote:

Sellers have been know to retaliate against buyers, who use the same account for buying and selling, by buying from them soley to punish them for opening a case/leaving bad feedback.

well im not a picky buyer and have never left bad feedback for a seller...so i think i may be in the clear with that

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I think sellers need two different accounts regardless. Disgruntled sellers can retaliate no matter what you’re selling.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

What if something you buy doesn’t arrive or is damaged and you have to file a case? What if you post on a thread that later turns angry?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If you are a business and re-sell some of the items you buy on ebay - it would probably make sense to have separate accounts.  If you are just buying for personal use and selling what you no longer want - why bother?   

I have three accounts - two business - one personal.  I rarely buy anything on ebay to re-sell so all my purchases go through my personal account as do personal items that I sell.   

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

What if something you buy doesn’t arrive or is damaged and you have to file a case? What if you post on a thread that later turns angry?

in those cases iv always messeged the seller and all have responded to me and we resolved issues before having to get to the point of opening a case of item damaged or didnt arrive thank goodness...im a very laid back person...i would never immediatly go open a case against a seller...

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Advantages:

• If you have an issue with a seller, that seller cannot retaliate against you by buying an item and filing a false dispute. Sellers should not do that, but some do.
  • If you flip items for a profit, your buyers will not be able to see how much you paid for them by looking for them in your feedback. Buyers should not care, but some do.
  • If you bid on an item, some sellers might look at your feedback and notice that you are a reseller and cancel your bids or block you. Sellers should not care, but some do.
  • When posting to this board on your selling account, readers will not be able to look at your items for sale and offer unwelcome advice about problems with your listings. You really should not care, but some sellers do. 

Disadvantages: 

• You have to log into two accounts
  • When posting to this board on your buying account, some ignorant people will see no items for sale and dismiss or ridicule you or claim you are "afraid" to show your items for sale. They are wrong, but they will still do that. 
  • If you start a second account for buying, it will have low or zero feedback for a while.

If you do decide to create a second account, I would strongly advise using your current account as your selling account and starting a new buying account to retain your selling status and feedback on the most important account. 

But as you can see, I have no items for sale on this account - so I must not be a seller and thus I must have no idea  what I am talking about 🙂

Message 12 of 12
latest reply