cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fellow seller tried to get my item for free??

xujin9986
Adventurer

Hello, I am a NewBee seller. I just received my first negative feedback today. 

I sold a food shaped fridge magnet. On the picture, I was attaching a ruler to it to measure its size in both inches and centimeters. So there should be NO confusion of the magnet's dimension.  However, the seller requested for a return today, saying she  thought it would be larger. I declined the return because I showed the size of the magnet clearly on the picture. And I have a no return policy. So she left a negative feedback. 

I then checked her profile and found out that she is selling Fakefood magnets for $100+ each.  I have a sense that that she is buying cheaper food shaped magnets from other sellers and then sell it for higher price. My magnet was sold for $4. If I had accepted her return request,  I had to refund her in full. And I am not gonna pay another $4 to have this small item shipped back cuz it's not worth it. I probably will let her keep it.   My feeling is that she requests return on purpose so she can get it for free and do no-cost trading for her own store.  My item was sold as measured. She can't use "misread the measurement " as return excuse. 

My question is : what can I do next  time when I encounter fellow seller and don't want to sell to them? She made instant payment so I had to accept the trade. 

Thank you. I appreciate any tips.

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Experienced this situation a few times, got the neg feedback removed every time thanks to customer service reps who actually understand the seller's side of the story. People purchasing items without reading the description or looking at the pictures and saying "does not fit" because they needed a different interface. Declined the returns and left us neg feedback. 

You have to contact the right department at eBay - go to help, account, seller performance and talk to someone there 🙂 Make sure you mention it is a buyer error and you have a no return policy. Explain that you provided exact sizes including a picture with a measurer. 

The rep will analyze the return, and your listing and remove the feedback. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 29 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

as a seller you should not be declining returns......you came out on top because of the size thing but look what happened.you stood your ground over $4......and thats the way it goes

say yes to a return or just refund and things will go smoother.you sold a 4 inch pizza magnet and thats what they wanted to send back

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

If the buyers opened a return using the item not as described reason you will have to accept the return, or at least refund them and allow them to keep the item.  If you do not take action on the return request, the buyer will get to keep your item and get their money back.

There are 3 things you can do afterwards

1) After the return / refund is complete you can report the buyer for abuse of the eBay money back guarantee.  You have to wait till the case is closed and then report.

2) Add the buyer to you blocked buyers list.

3) Request negative feedback removal if it qualifies for removal, depends on exactly what the buyer said.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

@xujin9986 

All I can say is WOW! I looked at listing, you did nothing wrong. In fact your FB reply was excellent.

You know what, refund this 12yr old and block her. She probably thought the pizza slice was real and tried to eat it!

People are really becoming foolish out there, think they have Covid on the brain! 

Best to you, you didn't deserve that Neg FB for sure.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. so even if I have no return policy, I still need to agree to return request?  I thought it was not my fault, so I didn't want to return...

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@xujin9986 

She probably thought the pizza slice was real and tried to eat it!

😂😂😂

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

Wow.  Just wow.

You are probably right - you are a new Seller and your Buyer thought you would just refund.  But it would be impossible to not know it is 4" long.  Wow.

Please add her to your BBL and please report her as a Buyer.  If she is dumb enough to buy on her Seller account, this will catch up with her soon enough.

Really sorry about your Red Donut.  Have you tried to see if they will remove it?  (Doubt it, but still try).

You deserve some chocolate.  If I had a teleporter, it would be on its way!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 7 of 40
latest reply

Thank you for your reply and valuable tips.

The return reason is "just didn't like it." If the reason is "not as described", I would accept the return request. The buyer knows the size, look and material of the magnet before she bought it. 

I blocked the buyer. Thank you for the advice, next time I will report the buyer for abuse of the eBay money back guarantee after return. what will happen to buyer if they are reported for abuse of money guarantee? 

I am not sure if the buyer will want to remove the negative feedback if I contact ebay. Her feedback is "unhappy... ...Reading the measurements as inches... .."  My item is measured and shown in both inches and centimeters. That's why I feel her return request is unreasonable and suspected her intention.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

@xujin9986 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. so even if I have no return policy, I still need to agree to return request?  I thought it was not my fault, so I didn't want to return...

It totally depends on the official reason they chose when they filed for a the return.  If they used a not as described reason, then you either refund or provide a return shipping label and refund upon return.   If it was a remorse reason, then you can turn it down since you have a no return policy. 

Practically speaking, all too often if someone wants to return something, they will make it uncomfortable for you if they can't.  I agree your listing was clear, but if you say yes to a remorse return, you do not have to pay the return shipping nor return the initial shipping since you charged a separate fee for that.  The buyer would only have gotten their $4.00 back and be in the hole over the postage both ways.

Fault doesn't really matter---no seller wants returns.

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. I blocked her. 

Her reason for return is "just didn't like it." But she knows the size, material and look of the magnet before she purchased. 

Here is what she wrote on return request " thought it was much larger than it is, in the picture it says inches so i feel like the advertising wasn't" ...Then she complained that it's too tiny. Her negative FB wrote "Reading the measurements as inches", but my ruler is showing in inches and centimeters. That's why I suspected that she just want to get a freebie from me...

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

You are setting yourself up for more negatives unless you read the eBay MBG (money back guarantee) for buyers. In a nutshell, if a buyer is unhappy with a product, the seller has to make it right. You either accept the return and eBay will issue a return label paid for by you or, if you decide it’s not worth it to issue a full refund as well as pay for return shipping, just tell the buyer to keep it. Strongly suggest you read the MBG soon, there is a link on every eBay page. EBay considers all buyers to be gold, sellers...not so much.  Sad, but true 😩

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

Thank you for your comfort. I didn't use "removal negative feedback" yet. I thought ebay will contact the buyer to request them to remove the feedback? If that's the case, i don't think that buyer will want to remove her feedback. Cuz I didn't give her chance to get a freebie : (

I will see if I can report her... That's really annoying... 

Be careful of this seller!!! when you see any FAKEfood magnet that sells for $100+, RUN! There must be a lot of return requests behind it.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

So sorry, I didn’t read through the responses and realize it is a remorse return. But do keep in mind on a not as described you will have to make the buyer whole. You are fortunate she admitted to the real reason for the return. Many lie to avoid the return shipping cost.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@xujin9986 

All I can say is WOW! I looked at listing, you did nothing wrong. In fact your FB reply was excellent.

You know what, refund this 12yr old and block her. She probably thought the pizza slice was real and tried to eat it!

People are really becoming foolish out there, think they have Covid on the brain! 

Best to you, you didn't deserve that Neg FB for sure.

"This magnet was only one bite of pizza.  Instead of tasting like cheese and jalapeno it tasted like plastic.  I am disappointed."

@xujin9986  Your reply was professional and intelligent, showing that you take care in your listing.  Your buyer OTOH sounds like a dope.  

Other sellers do buy stuff here to flip all the time - I do it, others do it, but in the great scheme of things it's not so often that they make an obvious pest of themselves, even if it happens once in a while. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 40
latest reply

The buyer's  return reason is "just didn't like it." So this is a remorse reason that I can turn it down?

If it's remorse reason, the buyer will pay for it? I didn't know that. Thank you for letting me know. Next time, if it's small amount item, maybe i will just refund.

Message 15 of 40
latest reply