cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay stealing my money

Sold an item in 2017 for around 700$. They yanked money out of my PayPal in 2020 MARCH. I have been told a Manuel request to issue refund has been approved to have my money back after ebay support tried to justify why I should have my money back after wasting my time and making me wait 12 business days when they said 3. it has now been 26 days total and I still don't have my money back and eBay stuff just keep telling me to wait. So ebay is allowed to steal my money during a pandemic?

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

ebay stealing my money

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

It's sounding more and more like the charge back from 2017 was never repaid in full to PayPal.

I agree with you that it's something along those lines--although it might be an issue with the OP's eBay account rather than the PayPal account. IMO, this statement in message #12 says it all:

" . . . if they have billing questions regarding their invoice . . . "

I infer from that statement that eBay has billed the OP for this amount on an invoice at some point. Again, in my opinion, the OP knows exactly what this is for.

Message 31 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

Reminds me of the story a girl told about selling an $6,000 handbag.

Buyer claimed it never arrived, then ebay and/or paypal refund the buyer $12,000 ($6K twice), and did not require the buyer to return the handbag.

Who knows what is true but (a) she seemed convinced, and (b) I read crazy nonsensical things here every day that rather than being resolved, magically disappear into the ether.

I have to be honest - I have changed the way I do business because of this board. Occam's Razer. 

Message 32 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

@pburn wrote:

It's sounding more and more like the charge back from 2017 was never repaid in full to PayPal.

I agree with you that it's something along those lines--although it might be an issue with the OP's eBay account rather than the PayPal account. IMO, this statement in message #12 says it all:

" . . . if they have billing questions regarding their invoice . . . "

I infer from that statement that eBay has billed the OP for this amount on an invoice at some point. Again, in my opinion, the OP knows exactly what this is for.

Except that the legit emails I see from Ebay address me by name.  Have you seen different?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

@josinstore wrote:

So ebay is allowed to steal my money during a pandemic?

Apparently, yes. 

REALLY?!?!?!?  2017.  No one can file a claim on Ebay that old, I don't care who you are.

I was just saying, if they did it, like the OP says, then apparently they can.  

Questioning something that was done to you, then saying "can the do that?"  Apparently, yes they can.    😃

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 34 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

@andrew547 wrote:

Reminds me of the story a girl told about selling an $6,000 handbag.

Buyer claimed it never arrived, then ebay and/or paypal refund the buyer $12,000 ($6K twice), and did not require the buyer to return the handbag.

Who knows what is true but (a) she seemed convinced, and (b) I read crazy nonsensical things here every day that rather than being resolved, magically disappear into the ether.

I have to be honest - I have changed the way I do business because of this board. Occam's Razer. 

That story was a lot more complex than just that.  

Ebay forced the refund.

The sellers's PP account didn't have enough money in it and went negative as did the seller's checking account when PP tried to recover the money.

The PP account sat in a negative for several days.  I'm confident the buyer complained about not getting the refund, so Ebay issued the credit to the buyer and charged the seller's Ebay account.

Then roughly at the same time PP reprocessed payment and it did clear the seller's checking account that time.

That is how the double refund happened.  Ebay ended up reimbursing the seller on the amount they put on the seller's account.

What happened from there I have no idea.

Message 35 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

@inhawaii wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

@josinstore wrote:

Apparently, yes. 

REALLY?!?!?!?  2017.  No one can file a claim on Ebay that old, I don't care who you are.

Questioning something that was done to you, then saying "can the do that?"  Apparently, yes they can.    😃

We don't know that yet.  The OP has been unclear and hasn't given the details to make that determination.  There are many questions yet to be answered.  

Message 36 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

@mam98031 wrote:

Ebay ended up reimbursing the seller on the amount they put on the seller's account.

Really? I read 200+ comments on that thread (or was it 400?). I was current up to about a week ago. None of them said anything about a resolution to the double charge issue.

Message 37 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

I can't help you with that.

Message 38 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

@josinstore wrote:

Apparently, yes. 

We don't know that yet.  The OP has been unclear and hasn't given the details to make that determination.  There are many questions yet to be answered.  

@mam98031  It's not reasonable to assume every poster who posts something that doesn't make sense to you or your experience is wrong.

#statistics

Message 39 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

Afternoon, 

If you had no back up for PayPal to collect this money from it doesn't just go away.

Looks like you started to sell again using the same account and as soon as you had a sale PayPal deducted the amount to cover your negative balance.

Hope this helps.

Mr C

I thought those sort of issues were turned over to "collections" for resolution.

And would a seller account stay in "good standing" allowing selling again in such an instance?  Doesn't seem that it would.

Message 40 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

@andrew547 

You're being paged in that sales tax thread.

Message 41 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

Evening,

This exact thing happened to someone that worked for me a couple of years ago.

They had a charge back and they owed PayPal well over $1000. They didn't have a backup source for PayPal to draw against since the debit card was no longer good.

So a couple of years ago they thought they would try to sell again and came to me crying cause PayPal took their money after not using the account for over 2 years thinking it would go away.

They were enraged that PayPal would do this to them, since the previous reversed sale "wasn't their fault" and they thought they had out smarted PayPal.

Mr C

Message 42 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

How many threads have we read through the years posted by sellers who threaten to close their PayPal accounts rather than pay whatever--a refund to a buyer or a FVF for an off-eBay transaction or whatnot. I read them all the time.
Message 43 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

Loads of them.

The young fella bragged to me saying he had already used the money and there was no way PayPal was going to get it back, all he had to do was close the bank account the backup debit card was linked to.

Time went bye and then one day he comes to me saying he needed my help with PayPal since I was so knowledgeable. Dumb donkey, thought he could slip a few listings in there and start all over.

Mr C

Message 44 of 70
latest reply

ebay stealing my money

Evening,

This exact thing happened to someone that worked for me a couple of years ago.

They had a charge back and they owed PayPal well over $1000. They didn't have a backup source for PayPal to draw against since the debit card was no longer good.

So a couple of years ago they thought they would try to sell again and came to me crying cause PayPal took their money after not using the account for over 2 years thinking it would go away.

They were enraged that PayPal would do this to them, since the previous reversed sale "wasn't their fault" and they thought they had out smarted PayPal.

Mr C

There is no evidence that this is what happened here.

Several people here seemingly just guessing, or wishfully thinking, which addresses the OP's issue not at all.

Message 45 of 70
latest reply