cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay needs to bring back to Sellers rights to leave Negative feedback to buyers' that don't pay.

I'm seeing more and more complaints about buyers that don't pay. Ebay use to allow sellers to leave negative feedback if a seller has had a bad experience. Those rights have been taken away.  Buyers have now really taken advantage of the situation. Especially when it comes to not paying for item purchased. Resulting sellers to try to collect or end up missing a window of opportunity for them to make an extra seasonal larger profit off of an item.  In some cases, it also gives the option for the buyer to find time for a better deal.  Reflects on the buyers making them look cheap. The seller also has to take the extra time to relist. What happens when we don't make a car payment, mortgage payment, water, electricity, IRS, credit card bills, amongst other things. Sellers right to leave a negative comment, would make the buyers pay. No excuses. 

Message 1 of 129
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

ebay needs to bring back to Sellers rights to leave Negative feedback to buyers' that don't pay.

The big question is are you a buyer or a seller? 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 103 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

The seller also has to take the extra time to relist.

@bryo_3145 

This isn't so out-putting, considering you can do it with one tick when you cancel for non-payment. 🙄

Message 2 of 129
latest reply

I'm not saying all buyers out there are like this, but the ones that are, will ruin it for everybody else. 

Message 3 of 129
latest reply

Yeah, it's really nice when they bid and item up and then they don't pay. Cancel and non-payment! does not cut the mustard. It's more anger and frustration if anything. No negative comment. Much obliged.  

Message 4 of 129
latest reply

Sellers can set their preferences so that buyers who have had to unpaid claims in the past 12 months cannot make a purchase from them. That 'cuts the mustard' for me. 

Is there a particular reason you are using auctions rather than fixed price listings?  Your sold items shows that they just received one bid so why not list them as a Fixed Price listing with immediate payment required?

Negative feedback for buyers was banned in 2008, 13 years before you registered for this ID.
Some sellers abused it and that discouraged buyers from shopping here.  Even then there was a problem with non paying buyers.

Message 5 of 129
latest reply

You leave a negative, the buyer leaves you a negative...is that what would make you happy?

I prefer to give a strike and then block them.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 129
latest reply

Verbiage in feedback is useful to me from buyers as another buyer...such as "better than described" or "clear communication"

Buyer feedback from sellers is currently of no use to me as a seller. I would prefer to see pure calculated metrics for buyers like "ratio of items purchased/returned", "ratio of accepted/rejected offers made" or "Avg days until non-immediate payment made" etc.  I could think of other examples with some thought.

Id then like those metrics hooked into my seller rules.

Message 7 of 129
latest reply

Sellers right to leave a negative comment, would make the buyers pay. No excuses.”

If the buyers don’t care enough to pay, who says that a negative comment in feedback will have any impact at all? Their eBay reputation would have to mean something to them for a negative rating to have any affect.

So what would be the purpose of buyer negative feedback? As an early warning system for sellers? Wouldn’t work. One reason being that most transactions happen anonymously and spontaneously on eBay, so there is no way to vet a buyer before he buys. It would only be after the fact that one could review feedback to weed out a potential problem buyer. 

And what are sellers going to do, vet every buyer? How? List auction style and then comb thru every bid looking for a non-payer? Then start canceling bids? Who says that the buyer will be a problem in every transaction? I’d have to be a mind reader to figure out if i want to do business with a buyer who might have a negative. Besides that, eBay’s Buyer Requirements already does the weeding out of deadbeat buyers in my account.

In 15 years i have never been defrauded by a buyer so i have had no need to leave a negative rating anyway. I rarely get non-payers because the majority of my listings are fixed price with Immediate Payment Required. But even when i run auctions, i have only had 4 or 5 non-payers in total over the years.

Leaving negatives for buyers would be bad for business. Criticizing buyers publicly or shaming them serves no useful purpose in the long run. The bottom line is that I have no problem taking the good with the bad anyway.

Message 8 of 129
latest reply

For what it's worth (and it isn't worth a whole lot IMHO) ebay has repeatedly stated that they are working on adding immediate payment to offers, and once they've done that, auctions will be next. It wasn't so many years ago that ebay was saying they would never do that, so it is a step in the right direction. But we are now in Q2 of 2023, and ebay still has not rolled out immediate payment to all offers, and has not yet begun on auctions. ebay says they are making progress, but I've seen no evidence of any real urgency on ebay's part.

Message 9 of 129
latest reply

"How hard is it to create a new ID?" Reputation is everything is that correct? For the buyer and the seller? 

Message 10 of 129
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  Not sure if you are on the AAM board, but I can't tell you how many buyers are complaining about providing a payment source up front when making an offer.  I don't get it...were they not going to pay anyway???  Might be having eBay think about this decision.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 129
latest reply

Ketchup?

Message 12 of 129
latest reply

Although it’s frustrating to have non paying bidders Id rather deal with that as  opposed to getting stuck with a return that costs me money and a defect.  If you force a sale this kind of person is likely to find a way to return on your dime.  This is the reason I don’t do auctions.

Message 13 of 129
latest reply

Not gonna happen.  It was an intentional decision, as many other sites are the same & it was around 15 years ago now.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 14 of 129
latest reply

When it gets to be 20 or more that could be a problem.  I'm not speaking for myself but for other sellers as well. 

Message 15 of 129
latest reply