cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay makes more money than me on my items

I just downsized my store and will continue to keep it at that level, since eBay won't promote your items (unless you pay them more) and make them impossible to show up in searches in favor of China. So, I guess they bit themselves in thier own butts when they ticked me off. I had over 1100 items listed for mostly vintage glassware and pottery and one neg feedback from a woman that wanted a free product and suddenly I made $80 in a month (as opposed to $500) and paid eBay $220. So now I have downgrade my store and subscription so low that the can't screw me anymore. I have been selling tons more on different sites so I guess eBay has beat themselves in thier own game. I will have to re-photograph much of my stock because I sell different items on different sites, but its a small inconvenience compared to being raped monthly. Under 260 for sale now, I figure this month should cost about $25 this month. So, who won eBay you or me? Or neither? It took 6 months of this for me to figure out the new pattern for them, but I got it now!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: ebay makes more money than me on my items

I sell mostly what you sell, Seen this coming last year, closed the store and now only list 100 Items. There are just no sales here. Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Same problem, but with big box stores.  What's the point when I have Walmart and Target listing right next to my item.  I can't compete with their pricing.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Such a shame. You put a lot of time into listing all of your listings. It was a cheap play by ebay to just show promoted listings. Thats like bottom of the barrel desperation move for ebay to generate money anyway they can at this point. Such desperation!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It's very sad that they forgot who built this empire for them. Throw us to the wind like yesterdays news. Wait until they try to get us all back, I guess we should hold them hostage as they have done us when that happens. And it will happen, there are too many new sites popping up and Amazon gets more business than they do, so our options continue to grow while ebays options continue to be stunted. One day it will all be China on ebay and most thinking folks won't buy from China and the ones that do will be ripped off. Ebay will wish it had done something to hold on to it's original reason for being and original sellers that made them.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I guess I am a bit confused when vitage used merchandise sellers start complaining about Asain sellers in there used vintage categories?

As far as who won.  I would say both have won. 

• You have won by taking your business into your own hands and making decision based on what you are experiencing. 
  • eBay will continue to win because although buyers will not see your items they will see others and buy from what is available not from what is not available. 

Your sales do not seems to be so much eBay would worry about your inventory leaving.  They already have more than 1 billion items for sale in the site.  eBay is not for all sellers and if you look hard enough you can find other places to park your products until the exact right buyer happens to stumble upon your items.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

anitaw2863 wrote:

I just downsized my store and will continue to keep it at that level, since eBay won't promote your items (unless you pay them more) and make them impossible to show up in searches in favor of China. So, I guess they bit themselves in thier own butts when they ticked me off. I had over 1100 items listed for mostly vintage glassware and pottery and one neg feedback from a woman that wanted a free product and suddenly I made $80 in a month (as opposed to $500) and paid eBay $220. So now I have downgrade my store and subscription so low that the can't screw me anymore. I have been selling tons more on different sites so I guess eBay has beat themselves in thier own game. I will have to re-photograph much of my stock because I sell different items on different sites, but its a small inconvenience compared to being raped monthly. Under 260 for sale now, I figure this month should cost about $25 this month. So, who won eBay you or me? Or neither? It took 6 months of this for me to figure out the new pattern for them, but I got it now!

Glad you're so thrilled with your other selling sites.  Good luck to you on those other sites.  Sorry you weren't getting the sales here, but I will say... if eBay was making more money than you were on your items, you definitely weren't dealing in very good merchandise for this site.  I'd be done with it too if my stuff wasn't selling here, although I know that there are sometimes just certain areas of interest a person WANTS to deal in, and regardless that it isn't selling gangbusters anymore doesn't actually matter.  Rather than shift into other inventory, some sellers still want to remain with what they have always dealt in and still love.  I can understand that.

I doubt "eBay bit themselves in their own butts when they ticked you off" as you put it.  Smiley Very Happy  With millions and millions and millions of items listed here every day from bazillions of sellers, my guess is your space was taken up with another seller within a second of you leaving!  Most of us wish there were far fewer sellers here competing with us for the buyers.. falling back to the number of sellers the site USED to support, but more and more seem to sign up every day it seems.  sigh...

Anyway, glad to hear you tell us "you have been selling tons more on different sites"... I expect you wish you'd have gone over way before this. 

And as far as "who won, eBay, you or me?" goes.. I don't think eBay misses any of us who step back either for a minute or permanently.  Like I said above, more just step up and fill the spot.  Ebay doesn't miss a beat, the buyers still make their purchases... just not from the seller who dumped and left, but another seller likely has the same item and gets the sale, so eBay still gets their fees.  So they don't care.  Ebay is fine.  It's the individual sellers who have to assess how they want to direct their businesses so that they can thrive too.  Good luck to you.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Always interesting when people come to this board bragging about how much more they are selling "on other sites", like where? Let them kick me off the board, I'll say up front that my main selling venue is Amazon. (I sell media) Ebay is a fairly distant second which is disappointing since I like many ebay features like Best Offer.  My listings here went down when they removed my ability to change catagories on the SYI form and thereby rendering the catalog useless. I can't complain about lower sales if I am not listing enough.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply