cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay - This harassment must stop

There is a serious flaw in ebay’s messaging system and it must be addressed.  This psycho buyer in the USA has sent me no less than 150 messages and they keep pouring in. I sold him a phone.

Prior to the sale he asked me a few technical questions. Then a few more. Then he bought it. I promptly answered all of his questions. As soon as he paid, he began messaging me more and more. Often repeating the same questions. Is it locked, do you know the original owner, tracking hasn’t updated, is the shipping box big or small.

At the 40th message I told him I had things to do and could no longer respond to his emails. At that point, I had sent him about 8 total replies. I looked at his feedback left and the majority of it was something like ‘great seller, answered all of my questions.’ I figured maybe he has some kind of mental disability.

When I told him enough was enough, that’s when things got crazy. He started messaging me literally every 10 minutes for hours. The one right before I called ebay was asking me about my family.  The one that crossed the line. I spoke to a US rep at length. Within an hour his account was suspended. ‘No longer a Registered User.’  That account had 20+ feedbacks and was about 1.5 years old.

So what does he do, opens a new account and starts all over again. I called ebay again. Rinse and repeat for two more new accounts. His last so far and 4th account, he listed Thailand as his location.

I called ebay repeatedly. And each time they told me they would take action but sorry, we have no BLOCKING mechanism in place. Even if you put one of these scumbags in your blocked bidder list. SORRY, THEY CAN STILL MESSAGE YOU ALL DAY LONG WITH NEW ACCOUNTS ALL DAY LONG, potentially for years.

THIS IS WRONG. I explained to ebay that if this doesn’t stop I will file a harassment suit against ebay and the buyer. Ebay is just as responsible. They are the ones forwarding the buyer’s messages and it is harassment.  

The rep said she was actually going to use my case in the next staff meeting with security and bring this up. That’s great but ebay has been in business for 20 years. What the heck are they waiting for???

To not allow a message filter and allow this abuse is despicable and needs to be addressed and it needs to be addressed now. On a side note, my conversations with the reps were very positive and they took action quickly within their limited options.

I for one, haven’t done anything yet but I have the buyer’s info, if he doesn’t stop and ebay won’t stop it, I will take it to the next level. And I'm not the only one. I've seen hundreds of posts here for the same thing.

@trinton trinton@ebay or whoever you are. This is a serious problem and needs to be changed.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

aaaa1 scared hide eyes scream.gif

Wow 

I haven't been a victim of this, hope that I never experience it but I agree they should have something in place for the extreme cases such as that.

So sorry!! 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

If they can block ALL a seller's IDs based on IP or whatever, why on earth can't they also block buyers to stop them creating new IDs for the purposes of harassment?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Would an answer be as simple as having a way to block messages from someone? 

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Or maybe put back the easy peasy link to "report this message"? (and actually ACT on ones like this that are way over the top)

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

@banana-posts  Wow, GREAT Post and I totally agree that there should be some kind of block in place OR if you call in and eBay sees that the communication is "excessive" then they put a stop to it and message the person to STOP ... additionally, onc ean ID has been blocked any other IDs existing or created should be blocked.  eBay Policy is explicite about using alternate IDs to get around blocks ... really sorry this happened.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Their policies regarding creating new IDs to get around blocks only seem to apply to sellers.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

If it were me, and you know this person's address, I would call the police department in his home town and ask that they pay him a visit.

As for the emails, just delete them.  And no longer respond.  He may realize he is talking to himself and stop.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

If it were me, and you know this person's address, I would call the police department in his home town and ask that they pay him a visit.

As for the emails, just delete them.  And no longer respond.  He may realize he is talking to himself and stop.

Agree, that's what I would do.

NVM diff thread Dope.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Agree, that's what I would do except I believe Banana said this person is in India. 

Complicates it a bit. 

From the OP's initial post.  "This psycho buyer in the USA" 

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

@banana-posts - If you go to your email and forward those emails (that also showed up in your eBay messages) to spoof@ebay.com - and tell eBay this person has been continuously harassing you --- they WILL take action. Especially if you send spoof@ebay.com several of those harassing emails. I can almost guarantee you eBay will make that person stop.
Message 11 of 39
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@pikabo-icu wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Agree, that's what I would do except I believe Banana said this person is in India. 

Complicates it a bit. 

Yeah I edited my post I melded two together. DOPE

~Pika~

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@pikabo-icu wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Complicates it a bit. 

We don't really know where this person is located with any certainty see " His last so far and 4th account, he listed Thailand as his location."

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

He's in the USA.

Look, I get ebay wants an open forum on their site. I get it. But at the very least, when we sellers put someone in our BBL, we don't want to have anything to do with them including messages. We blocked them for a reason. When they go into the BBL, they should be blocked from buying AND messaging. It makes sense on the most fundamental and basic level.

If nothing else, at least let an ebay rep or supervisor put a block down.  There are a lot of crazy people out there and they are using ebay's messaging system as a weapon.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:
If they can block ALL a seller's IDs based on IP or whatever, why on earth can't they also block buyers to stop them creating new IDs for the purposes of harassment?

Bingo!  You said the secret word!

I agree with you on that - seems that they can easily block buyers and their relatives/friends who use the same IP if any one of them messes up. 

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 15 of 39
latest reply