cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year to

to replace the current listings based experience - and it will become the only way to shop on eBay, according to the company's CEO Devin Wenig. From ecommercebytes.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/2/1519091217.html

"But Wenig described the biggest change coming to the site as a move from a listings based marketplace to a product based marketplace."

All you small sellers that don't sell new items. You can kiss your eBay business goodbye. New item small sellers, if you can't price compete with the big boys, your stuff will never be seen, until they all run out of inventory. Best price on everything on the site will be seen exclusively, the way the site will be laid out.

Message 1 of 565
latest reply
564 REPLIES 564

Re: eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year

@nowthatsjustduckywrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

That's eBay's anthem, It's stuck in your head because your subconscious can deeply relate to the lyrics.

This one is my personal eBay anthem...

Funny song. I had to watch an old 1950's film of a transorbital lobotomy being preformed at an old state mental institution, for my Abnormal Psy class. The medical doctors at these places were the ones that couldn't make it in the real profession.

Anyway, they had the patient sedated, then there was the doctor holding a cigarette in his mouth with a huge ash hanging off the tip, while he thumbed back the persons eyelid and inserted a long piece of wire up into the frontal lobe. 

Message 541 of 565
latest reply

Re: eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year

@grasshopperxwrote:

Ebay seems so far gone now, I doubt they can ever fix all their problems and glitches. It's too far gone. But even still, they seem to want to make things more complex and messed up instead of fixing whats wrong. Every day I search and it gets worse. More glitches. They are trying to police too much with their goofy artificial intelligence. Making the site a total mess. and as a seller I feel it's gonzo. And as a buyer too, i'm really fed up.

The glitches never stop on this site anymore. They just get worse, like today. 

Message 542 of 565
latest reply

@carlmarxxwrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@carlmarxxwrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@magicjohnsonsvarietywrote:

I've seen that crossed eyed look....lol

Amazon ran that ad with the singing boxes every 30 minutes during the holidays.

On the other hand,  ebay has its word of mouth advertising....which of course is mostly bad.

Instead of all these worthless changes, Ebay should spend time and ad money attempting to improve it's image the way Wells Fargo did after its scandal. Ebay needs to regain consumer trust before it can really begin to move forward.

If you search online for eBay reviews and then look up other venues, eBay is always rated the worst. You right eBay has a major image problem that they need to get to the core of before they can fix it.

I have done  online  ebay reviews, and Lot of ones I have read  where  about  ebay's poor   record  on  return abuse and Buyer  fraud issues.   

There's a UK newspaper, that keeps writing articles about that kind of abuse on eBay being rampant.

If ebay thinks they  handle all desputes  in house  with rep's that don't no the  items the sellers have up for sale , Then they can't see the leaves before the tree's.   Because  it doesn't help  too keep  pushing a Liberal return policy's with loop holes  for  retail buyer fraud , when the retail industry  is cutting back on liberal returns .  I was on the griff radio show  and  quoted   from lost-prevention.com's report on retail industry lost 16.9 billion dollars per year to retail buyer fraud , they cut me off . 

Last spring I brought up a number of separate issues on the weekly chats, only to be told that if I wanted to discuss the issue, I needed to PM them, even though it had nothing to do with anything that couldn't be discussed on the board. 

Message 543 of 565
latest reply

WoW!  

Message 544 of 565
latest reply

@carlmarxxwrote:

WoW!  

It seems to be the rule of thumb with eBay, when they want to avoid a topic, just like in you case regarding how much money is lost to fraud. 

Message 545 of 565
latest reply

@timemachine777wrote:
@carlmarxxwrote:

WoW!  

It seems to be the rule of thumb with eBay, when they want to avoid a topic, just like in you case regarding how much money is lost to fraud. 

Which I find sad  that they are taking such a blind eyes  on it.   

Message 546 of 565
latest reply

@carlmarxxwrote:

@timemachine777wrote:
@carlmarxxwrote:

WoW!  

Which I find sad  that they are taking such a blind eyes  on it.   

The way I see it (no pun intended) , is that if they acknowledge that it's a big issue, than they have to address it. eBay doesn't want to do that because any way you slice it, it costs them lots of money. They lose FVF's and they need to spend way more money to address and enforce the issues at hand, when it comes to fraud. 

With the new platform being developed and the buy box system being implemented, eBay is going to run into another problem with fraud. Since eBay is going to be picking the winners and losers (items) for the buyer to select from in a more micromanaged way. eBay will be faced with more buyers demanding that eBay reimburse them for transactions that are fraudulent.

A seller(s) come on to eBay and starts peddling cheap knock offs, or even stolen goods at a super discount, then eBay pushes it because it's the cheapest price. Buyer purchases the stolen item, and a month or more down the road, the police come knocking on your door, and seize the goods. Your out the item and your money.  Just one of numerous scams.

Message 547 of 565
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

to replace the current listings based experience - and it will become the only way to shop on eBay, according to the company's CEO Devin Wenig. From ecommercebytes.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/2/1519091217.html

"But Wenig described the biggest change coming to the site as a move from a listings based marketplace to a product based marketplace."

All you small sellers that don't sell new items. You can kiss your eBay business goodbye. New item small sellers, if you can't price compete with the big boys, your stuff will never be seen, until they all run out of inventory. Best price on everything on the site will be seen exclusively, the way the site will be laid out.

Thank you for this article.  I read this part:

"But with all the fundamental changes the company has accomplished over the last three years, they are just now in the rebranding phase.

Specifically, he said that the majority of people still “misunderstand” eBay and it will take a few more years to change that.

While Wenig did not detail on what he meant by how people misunderstand eBay, it’s pretty obvious he is referring to the popular thought of eBay being an online flea market that mostly offers used goods."

You're so right about small sellers.  The 'Promoted Listings" didn't bring Ebay more money, and only lost them buyers and sellers, so now they're going with another 'hoop' to see if it works.  Personally, I like flea markets (most buyers are looking for a good deal).  I don't have a store on Ebay.  I do it to help bring some extra money which I usually turn around and spend on Ebay.  So if I don't sell I don't spend.

I think the 'rebranding' part comes from so many mall shops closing down because of the internet, and 'rebranding' their own stores for Ebay.  This new "rebranding" hoop just might be Ebay's doing in.

"In the end, only kindness matters."
Message 548 of 565
latest reply

I had been selling a fair amount (2504 with only one Negative) on here for the past two years until today when they canceled all my sales and said I am not allowed to sell on here (I was not making enough for eBay) I run a small cat rescue place here for abused and abounded cats I relied on the sales for this as I am disabled eBay wanted me to keep lowering my prices of the laptops but if I kept lowing it I would not make enough of profit to keep the shelter open so now I guess I will look for another place even though I have been here since Apr-29-04 I guess it is time to leave I also see stock is falling

That's all I have to says agree or disagree too bad things have to change on here

Message 549 of 565
latest reply

That flea market image accounts for a great deal of the unique variety on the site.  It's the things that people may find in their house and decide to sell that may be the most interesting.  It might be an old, rare, item or cherished collectible.  It might be something the buyer has searched for for years.  It may have sentimental meaning to them.  New items aren't going to have all that going for them.  And new items may be the same thing that is sold by many other sellers, thus more competition for the buyers that may be looking for that item.  Nothing against new items, to each his own, but they have their own place.

In my opinion, I don't think that gives the customer the idea that they can offer you anything.  It does make the buyer wonder what they may find next!

Message 550 of 565
latest reply

@chipper01work wrote:

@dopurcell2012wrote:

I have never liked the flea market image.  It makes customer think you arr just cleaning out your closet so they can just offer you any amount of money because you just want to rid yourself of stuff you don't need.  I have never sold anything that I already had, I buy all of my merchandise to sell.

That image you don't like is exactly what gave birth to this site.

Exactly.  While I have no problem with a seller who wants to buy new things to sell, many buyers come to Ebay EXPRESSLY FOR the things that this poster calls the fela market image, which should not be looked down on.

Message 551 of 565
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@nowthatsjustduckywrote:

I am guessing he can't get it through his pointy head that if he does achieve his objective and becomes just like every other ecommerce site out there, eBay will have nothing to distinguish itself from the already established players in that arena and will wither into true irrelevance?

This why I ONLY list auctions on here, since it's pretty much the only online auction site that allows regular people to run them.

Anything fixed price I list is not on here. Why would it be, when the other site is taking off and is 1/3 the fees? Antiques/vintage do very well over there, especially toys. 

If they do proceed with this foolish idea and expand it into the antiques/vintage items, there will be no one here to sell them, and no reason for some of us to even search here except for bargains at auction - provided we can find the listings, anyway.

And just focusing on cheap chinese junk and NIB items available anywhere else, what future is there in that? Bleak, if any.

I agree.  Why throw away individuality and unique items to offer what can be found anywhere.  

Message 552 of 565
latest reply

There's also a well known company that deals in items you may need to fill in your collection of other items.  These items were produced in the past and they command high prices.

But people can get these same items on Ebay for less.  Things that you had but now no longer have and need.

Message 553 of 565
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@chipper01work wrote:

@dopurcell2012wrote:

I have never liked the flea market image.  It makes customer think you arr just cleaning out your closet so they can just offer you any amount of money because you just want to rid yourself of stuff you don't need.  I have never sold anything that I already had, I buy all of my merchandise to sell.

That image you don't like is exactly what gave birth to this site.

Exactly.  While I have no problem with a seller who wants to buy new things to sell, many buyers come to Ebay EXPRESSLY FOR the things that this poster calls the fela market image, which should not be looked down on.

Actually offering you any amount of money seems to be the direction Ebay has taken~~with many international sellers, and Best Offer being placed on many listings.

Message 554 of 565
latest reply

The type of things I sell for real money are  strange parts  things you can only find  is places like ebay many will not have a neat place in the catalog like a "Sanyo Gallenkamp FDC 185 Fingerprint Development Chamber Oven"  and many other things I have listed. I have for years tried to buy things that few others have  that way i do not have to compete  with others. This will kill me in as no catalog number says no buyer,  much less someone looking at it. Also ebays says if  you use the wrong catalog number it is a reason for the buyer to say not as described. So with the new return policy it is a double hit as you would have to take it back if it was a buyer issue not a product issue. I am also seeing some products that have 0 views after 1 week that the same thing always had views on the same day..  Ebay is not Amazon and  IMHO it will be a costly lesson for the powers that be to learn that.

Message 555 of 565
latest reply