cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year to

to replace the current listings based experience - and it will become the only way to shop on eBay, according to the company's CEO Devin Wenig. From ecommercebytes.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/2/1519091217.html

"But Wenig described the biggest change coming to the site as a move from a listings based marketplace to a product based marketplace."

All you small sellers that don't sell new items. You can kiss your eBay business goodbye. New item small sellers, if you can't price compete with the big boys, your stuff will never be seen, until they all run out of inventory. Best price on everything on the site will be seen exclusively, the way the site will be laid out.

Message 1 of 565
latest reply
564 REPLIES 564

Re: eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year

I like scrolling.Smiley Sad

Message 316 of 565
latest reply

Re: eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year

@nowthatsjustduckywrote:

I am guessing he can't get it through his pointy head that if he does achieve his objective and becomes just like every other ecommerce site out there, eBay will have nothing to distinguish itself from the already established players in that arena and will wither into true irrelevance?

Every giant must fall. Bad management ideas unusually have the biggest impact. Like a rock to the head.

Message 317 of 565
latest reply

@vintagepatternspluswrote:

I cannot understand why Ebay wants to get rid of vintage goods and sell new boring bad quality goods!

Vintage to Wenig is "Fleamarket and Yardsale", and he wants that image to go away very badly.

Message 318 of 565
latest reply

@timemachine777wrote:

I cannot understand why Ebay wants to get rid of vintage goods and sell new boring bad quality goods!

Vintage to Wenig is "Fleamarket and Yardsale", and he wants that image to go away very badly.

The very best thing we could all do when shown the door is to all go to the same place as an alternative. It would certainly be a great gift to the site we end up on. eBay can watch it grow and envy what they once had.

Message 319 of 565
latest reply

@castlemagicmemorieswrote:

I like scrolling.Smiley Sad

So do a lot of people, including myself. I just don't care for Hugh Williams design of the perpetual scroll that goes on for ever, because the "Find" function in my browser tools doesn't work with that feature.

Message 320 of 565
latest reply

Do you mean Etsy?

Message 321 of 565
latest reply

@chipper01workwrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

The very best thing we could all do when shown the door is to all go to the same place as an alternative. It would certainly be a great gift to the site we end up on. eBay can watch it grow and envy what they once had.

I believe that will happen. Right now, I wish I had deeper pockets than I do, and a better understanding of todays, computer engineering. 

Message 322 of 565
latest reply

Do you mean Etsy?

I mean it would be great if we all go to the same place if eBay no longer wants us here. Where the sellers of vintage go is where the buyers will go. Someplace needs to be "THE" place to go for buyers and sellers if eBay no longer wants to be that place. It will be exponentially more successful if all are in one place rather than scattered about, wherever that is. 

Message 323 of 565
latest reply

If Ebay will stop me to sell vintage goods then I will have to go to Etsy!

Message 324 of 565
latest reply

I said that just last week.  Ebay is a publicly owned company so their aim is to keep sharholders happy.

Message 325 of 565
latest reply

I have never liked the flea market image.  It makes customer think you arr just cleaning out your closet so they can just offer you any amount of money because you just want to rid yourself of stuff you don't need.  I have never sold anything that I already had, I buy all of my merchandise to sell.

Message 326 of 565
latest reply

If Ebay will stop me to sell vintage goods then I will have to go to Etsy!

I don't know where else to go. I've tried them all in the past, and nothing. I sell wholesale clothing, NWT. Most are returns, and some might have minor issues. People love buying high end dept store clothing at 1/3 the price.  I listed some vintage purses on E with no sales. I haven't had a sale on what people here call "The Ranch", in 2 years. I can't sell Amz, because they require buy clothing directly from the manufacturer. Don't care for them anyway.   Smiley Sad

Message 327 of 565
latest reply

@dopurcell2012wrote:

I have never liked the flea market image.  It makes customer think you arr just cleaning out your closet so they can just offer you any amount of money because you just want to rid yourself of stuff you don't need.  I have never sold anything that I already had, I buy all of my merchandise to sell.

That image you don't like is exactly what gave birth to this site.

Message 328 of 565
latest reply

@dopurcell2012wrote:

I buy all my stuff too, with selling the occasional things I haven't worn or don't want. It sounds like the new theme will be all new in box, and no exceptions.

Message 329 of 565
latest reply

@dopurcell2012wrote:

I said that just last week.  Ebay is a publicly owned company so their aim is to keep sharholders happy.

Federal law requires that all publicly traded companies have a fiduciary duty to it's shareholders first. I think Wenig is walking a tightrope here.

Message 330 of 565
latest reply