cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year to

to replace the current listings based experience - and it will become the only way to shop on eBay, according to the company's CEO Devin Wenig. From ecommercebytes.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/2/1519091217.html

"But Wenig described the biggest change coming to the site as a move from a listings based marketplace to a product based marketplace."

All you small sellers that don't sell new items. You can kiss your eBay business goodbye. New item small sellers, if you can't price compete with the big boys, your stuff will never be seen, until they all run out of inventory. Best price on everything on the site will be seen exclusively, the way the site will be laid out.

Message 1 of 565
latest reply
564 REPLIES 564

Re: eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year

@vintagepatternspluswrote:

They are already doing new things. I  sell sewing patterns and if you look at Ebay>Collectibles>SewingCollectibles(1930-Now)>CollectibleSewingPatterns>Collectible Women's Sewing Patterns you will see there are 3,215 Results but it is not true there are 68,700 Results. You cannot see them because Ebay automatically changes your search into Group simmilar listings. Half my listing people cannot see throw going Ebay>Collectibles>SewingCollectibles(1930-Now)>CollectibleSewingPatterns>Collectible Women's Sewing Patterns. They can see my patterns if they will make search throw search box. I think same thing going with other ebay categories.

eBay has been ramping up their need to drive traffic where they want it to go on the site.

Message 301 of 565
latest reply

Re: eBay will move to a new "product based" shopping experience on a large scale this year

@vintagepatternspluswrote:

They are already doing new things. I  sell sewing patterns and if you look at Ebay>Collectibles>SewingCollectibles(1930-Now)>CollectibleSewingPatterns>Collectible Women's Sewing Patterns you will see there are 3,215 Results but it is not true there are 68,700 Results. You cannot see them because Ebay automatically changes your search into Group simmilar listings. Half my listing people cannot see throw going Ebay>Collectibles>SewingCollectibles(1930-Now)>CollectibleSewingPatterns>Collectible Women's Sewing Patterns. They can see my patterns if they will make search throw search box. I think same thing going with other ebay categories.

I see the same thing if I use the Shop By Category to look at back issues of magazines. I do find it interesting that a lot of the magazines they choose to show as the one you see first is using Media Mail to ship. Way to go Ebay .. encourage this misuse of the postal system. I do wonder how many buyers use the Shop By Category instead of using the search bar.

Message 302 of 565
latest reply

Trouble is - even if you USE the search bar, eBay then dumps you into their favoured category for whatever they THINK you're searching for.

Doing ANYthing here, selling OR buying, is a continuous series of neverending clicks to get where you wanted to be or do what you wanted to do.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 303 of 565
latest reply

@ted_200wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Hi everyone,

Grouping listings in search results has been available since the fall of last year on the desktop site. I encourage you all to review this page that outlines in more detail how this feature works and the benefits that it offers to our Community.

Since most sellers are not monitoring the eBay Inc. pages, might it have not been useful to have posted an Announcement of this change? 

But .... but .... but .... isn't EVERYONE supposed to monitor the ebay, inc. pages, the ebay for business pages, the blogs, policies pages, facebook, twit, announcements, etc., ALL the time.  You know, fully involved and fully informed (smirk).

What happened to best selling practices??????????????

(now, where did they hide that sarcasm font, THIS time?)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 304 of 565
latest reply

We are small business owners don't receive subsidies now do we?  Sometimes ebay acts like they own our merchandise.  I have money invested in everything I sell I have to get a certain amount to even make a profit.  I consider them nothing more than a advertising entity.  I cannot afford to buy and pay the prices that the products from the US sell for, but I would love to be able to.  I think its our duty as americans to support what we buy and sell here in America.

Message 305 of 565
latest reply

@timemachine777wrote:

@dopurcell2012wrote:

This is bull.  How can small sellers stay afloat.  Ebay is made up of small sellers.  That is why I do not sell on Amazon.  I do not like their platform.  http://www.ebay.com/usr/dopurcell2012/

Wenig's vision for eBay is way different than his predecessors. The Fleamarket image has to go, so the small sellers of that type of stuff, need to either transition to new products, or get phased out. This new platform is being designed to condense the new product inventory on eBay, and sell it quickly at the cheapest prices possible.

Too bad he is looking in the wrong direction for his 'visions'.

I am afraid soon Ebay will not let us to sell old used staffs.

Message 307 of 565
latest reply

Message 308 of 565
latest reply

@dopurcell2012wrote:

We are small business owners don't receive subsidies now do we?  Sometimes ebay acts like they own our merchandise.  I have money invested in everything I sell I have to get a certain amount to even make a profit.  I consider them nothing more than a advertising entity.  I cannot afford to buy and pay the prices that the products from the US sell for, but I would love to be able to.  I think its our duty as americans to support what we buy and sell here in America.

That's probably because eBay thinks we all get our inventory from some fourth dimension closet in our house, that spits out junk every time we open the door. Like the old Land of the lost episode from back in the 70's with the pylon that would spit out loads of groceries, when you threw a gourd into it. 

eBay would advertise for people to list everything that they could find in their closets. They act like all this stuff has no cost attached to it, and though some might not, most do. I also think that this race to the bottom mentality of eBay's is just so they can raise their conversion rate.

It makes them look good in the eyes of shareholders. If eBay's sales numbers are growing on the site, than so must be their revenue, however that's not alway's the case as FVF's shrink from cheaper and cheaper sales.

Message 309 of 565
latest reply

@d-k_treasureswrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@dopurcell2012wrote:

This is bull.  How can small sellers stay afloat.  Ebay is made up of small sellers.  That is why I do not sell on Amazon.  I do not like their platform.  http://www.ebay.com/usr/dopurcell2012/

Wenig's vision for eBay is way different than his predecessors. The Fleamarket image has to go, so the small sellers of that type of stuff, need to either transition to new products, or get phased out. This new platform is being designed to condense the new product inventory on eBay, and sell it quickly at the cheapest prices possible.

Too bad he is looking in the wrong direction for his 'visions'.

I guess all of us long tail sellers are using up way too much space on his site, as he wants to condense everything down. You get some ideas of what eBay's up too, since everything they do is a precursor to some major changes in the future. Spring cleaning last year for example. 

How do you quickly get rid of a bunch of sellers that you don't want on the site, because you want to free up space. **bleep** them all off by dumping their older inventory and tell them that if they relist it, that they are violating some secret eBay policy that they just made up.

It also lessens the PR nightmare. Purging sellers out an out would not fly with shareholders, or potential new members.

Message 310 of 565
latest reply

@timemachine777wrote:

@dopurcell2012wrote:

That's probably because eBay thinks we all get our inventory from some fourth dimension closet in our house, that spits out junk every time we open the door. Like the old Land of the lost episode from back in the 70's with the pylon that would spit out loads of groceries, when you threw a gourd into it.

That was actually a really decently written episode, once you get past the usual Land of the Lost Krofft Macaroni and Cheese with the acting and effects.  😄

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 311 of 565
latest reply

I am guessing he can't get it through his pointy head that if he does achieve his objective and becomes just like every other ecommerce site out there, eBay will have nothing to distinguish itself from the already established players in that arena and will wither into true irrelevance?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 312 of 565
latest reply

@nowthatsjustduckywrote:

I am guessing he can't get it through his pointy head that if he does achieve his objective and becomes just like every other ecommerce site out there, eBay will have nothing to distinguish itself from the already established players in that arena and will wither into true irrelevance?

Amen, I won't buy new here anymore so I guess I'll just be another buyer chased away by eBay if they get rid of used. 

Message 313 of 565
latest reply

I cannot understand why Ebay wants to get rid of vintage goods and sell new boring bad quality goods!

Message 314 of 565
latest reply

@nowthatsjustduckywrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

@dopurcell2012wrote:

That was actually a really decently written episode, once you get past the usual Land of the Lost Krofft Macaroni and Cheese with the acting and effects.  😄

I grew up on those Saturday morning shows by them, and I don't care what anybody says. Those guys had to be doing some serious LSD, to come up with a lot of their themes. 

Message 315 of 565
latest reply