cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay will does not expose products without ads, referral fee is not enough for eBay

I noticed, almost every single item sold on eBay is by one of the ads. So, that means without ads cannot sell much? The hardest thing to know is that if a buyer buys 20 items, for real buyers click on sponsored products on every single item they buy? Selling on eBay is becoming the most expensive platform. 25-40% revenue goes to eBay straight. Sellers working on their own expenses for eBay. I think eBay is too much greedy, never cares about sellers. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

eBay will does not expose products without ads, referral fee is not enough for eBay

No one is putting a gun to your head telling you to sell here with ebay. Other selling sites are doing as much and worse. If you cannot adapt you stop selling here.  You sound like you think ebay owes you something. They are responsible to the stock holders. The end.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@watangems 

There are other venues you can explore for selling.  eBay isn't for everyone.  

Good luck to you!

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

At this point I have everything promoted at 3.5% and I am seeing about 50-50 for items sold with an ad fee.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Did someone force you to come and leave comment here? eBay is a public company and every seller has the right to express his/her views about it. You don't understand what I mean. For years there were no additional ads required to sell on eBay. That is fine to have ads. However, organic searches should not be blocked. That is not fair. Everyone item sold Ebay gets paid for it. But, the point is in order to sell should not be forced on sellers if they put ads they can sell if not non-ads items seems to be kind of blocked. 3 types of ads. sponsored ads (standard ads), per click ads, and advanced ads. 

I don't have problems with ads. But, I believe they should not change the algorithm for ads. They should leave everything fair to everyone. It is a bidding marketplace and all products should be unblocked regardless of ads or non ads. I am doing all ads. But, almost all items old coming throughs only is questionable and not fair. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Ebay owes its sellers a fair platform to sell on. It has become am absolute joke. Hard work no longer counts on ebay. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I listed an item this afternoon and it sold an hour ago. Buyers could find it. I would have to go down and turn on my desktop to see if it sold via promotion at 3.5%. 

I do find that when I list desirable items, they sell rather quickly.

If I have 12 of a nice item, I might sell 7 the 1st week and then nothing for a couple of weeks and then the rest sell over a couple of weeks. I think that is how basic retail sales go.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I have not used "promoted" since the days when sellers were given a $30 credit to use for promotions.

My category listings get views organically & externally.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

I listed an item this afternoon and it sold an hour ago. Buyers could find it. I would have to go down and turn on my desktop to see if it sold via promotion at 3.5%. 

My experience has been the same. I routinely will see views and watchers on items within an hour or so of listing them if they're things that have interest. I just listed that DVD set I sold the other day about two days prior-- it started getting views and watchers right away and got snapped up quickly despite the fact that I didn't promote it at all.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

On my primary selling id 0% of my sales are from PL ads.

On my secondary account 50% of my sales are from PL ads (at the lowest 2% rate).

If eBay is considered greedy because they want a bigger cut from sellers what does that say about eBay sellers who want to give eBay a smaller cut and keep more for themselves?

I have ZERO expectations that any for profit corporation will ever "care about me".

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@watangems wrote:

Did someone force you to come and leave comment here? eBay is a public company and every seller has the right to express his/her views about it. You don't understand what I mean. For years there were no additional ads required to sell on eBay. That is fine to have ads. However, organic searches should not be blocked. That is not fair. Everyone item sold Ebay gets paid for it. But, the point is in order to sell should not be forced on sellers if they put ads they can sell if not non-ads items seems to be kind of blocked. 3 types of ads. sponsored ads (standard ads), per click ads, and advanced ads. 

I don't have problems with ads. But, I believe they should not change the algorithm for ads. They should leave everything fair to everyone. It is a bidding marketplace and all products should be unblocked regardless of ads or non ads. I am doing all ads. But, almost all items old coming throughs only is questionable and not fair. 

Then there is no reason to have ads if they aren't weighted in search; it's why people pay for ads.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@watangems 

I sold 9 items today, none of them were promoted.

Miraculously people were able to find them and buy them.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

However, organic searches should not be blocked. That is not fair...”

I have only used promoted listings on a very few items, and oftentimes not at all. (Would not consider promoting all my inventory, but most of my items are OOAK.)

Promoting one’s listings is, after all, a voluntary choice. But if organic search was somehow unfairly blocked, it would stand to reason that i then would not be able to make any sales. Yet i still sell non-sponsored  things.

Been a seller for 15 years here and have not experienced blocked searches. At times have had slow sales, at times no sales, but they always pick up again eventually.

I do agree with many others that it is getting harder to sell, but this has not led me to feeling i must promote all my listings in order to make a sale. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Not all items are sold with adds. It has to do with desirable item at a good price for the most part. Our biggest competition  are probably promoting items at way way above ours and their prices reflect it and they rarely sell. We have about 70 percent of our listings sponsored now at 2 percent.  It created an uptick in sales last month. This month it’s absolutely terrible and not sure why. Many sold as well with NO AD LAST MONTH. I go to my ad page and see I have over 1 million impression on the site. Which means these items are showing here in about in 1 million spots.I MEAN 1 Mil, and we have sold barely anything this past month. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@watangems 

@lakefor94 wrote:

If I have 12 of a nice item, I might sell 7 the 1st week and then nothing for a couple of weeks and then the rest sell over a couple of weeks. I think that is how basic retail sales go.

I checked this morning. No ad fee attached to the listing that sold a a few hours yesterday.

Exactly 16 out of my last 32 sales have an add fee attached at 3.5% with all listings promoted. 

FWIW

Posting ID
Message 15 of 16
latest reply