cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay, why are you raising final value fees on store sellers more than non store sellers?

In reference to the Fall 2018 seller update, why is eBay raising the final value fee for media more on store sellers than non store sellers?

Store sellers are going from 9.15% to 12% (a 23% increase) and non store sellers going from 10% to 12% (a 16.6% increase).

eBay, why are you having paid store sellers pay the same 12% fee as nonstore sellers?

eBay, do you believe store paying sellers no longer deserve a break on the media final value fee?

eBay, do you value your store sellers?

eBay, if you value your store sellers, can we tell that by your fees?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: eBay, why are you raising final value fees on store sellers more than non store sellers?

I don't like fee increases, nobody does. I'd much rather see a lot lower FVF and paid listings as opposed to free ones, but it's not my site.

Just a few days ago I started listing again on Amazon after I quit four years ago. After seeing the fees over there as compared to here, 12% looks darn good.

Let's pretend I listed the same book here for $36 ($32 + $4 shipping)  12% of that is $4.32, and Paypal fees would be $1.61 for a total of $5.93 in fees, a $2.26 difference if my math is right.

On Amazon:

f04dff2be85a9a951322b0cd90ce620c

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Re: eBay, why are you raising final value fees on store sellers more than non store sellers?

It doesn’t explain why store sellers who pay  for lower fees  have a lagree fee increase and are now going to pay the same amount as the non store sellers. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

You may as well ask why NON stores get scheduled listings for free and free BINs on auctions, while those who PAY for a store get neither.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@justin_collection wrote:

It doesn’t explain why store sellers who pay  for lower fees  have a lagree fee increase and are now going to pay the same amount as the non store sellers. 

No, it doesn't explain that, and it stinks, but it's still better than Amazon. (for now Smiley Indifferent )

I'm sure the day of equality is forthcoming...

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Strap on the tinfoil hat here:

Semi-Public reasoning:  Book category is seriously messed up and will require the hiring/allocating of extra staff to get it into shape for Product pages.

Real reason:  Book category is seriously messed up and we can't fix it, so raise the rates and maybe most of the sellers will leave, they are selling old stuff so we really don't want them anymore anyway.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I don't like fee increases, nobody does. I'd much rather see a lot lower FVF and paid listings as opposed to free ones, but it's not my site.

Just a few days ago I started listing again on Amazon after I quit four years ago. After seeing the fees over there as compared to here, 12% looks darn good.

Let's pretend I listed the same book here for $36 ($32 + $4 shipping)  12% of that is $4.32, and Paypal fees would be $1.61 for a total of $5.93 in fees, a $2.26 difference if my math is right.

On Amazon:

While their fees are slightly higher than eBay's, and I am not sure what "other fees" are applying here... to be an accurate comparison, we must compare Amazon fees vs eBay + PayPal fees. 

Considering eBay 12% + PayPal 2.9%, they are in the same ball park. And eBay's subscription fees are significantly higher.

This is why the 4% penalty fee starting in a lil over a month could be problematic. It will make eBay sellers far less competitive compared to other marketplaces.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

On Amazon:

While their fees are slightly higher than eBay's, and I am not sure what "other fees" are applying here... to be an accurate comparison, we must compare Amazon fees vs eBay + PayPal fees. 

Considering eBay 12% + PayPal 2.9%, they are in the same ball park. And eBay's subscription fees are significantly higher.

This is why the 4% penalty fee starting in a lil over a month could be problematic. It will make eBay sellers far less competitive compared to other marketplaces.

Amazon is 15% plus $1.80 plus $0.99 (for non pro accts). Not 'slightly' higher at all. It's actually quite a bit higher. eBay doesn't have the additional $1.80 variable fee.

And it's not just books going up here on eBay, CDs and DVDs are going up too.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Books are notoriously slow sellers.
I've had titles listed for 10 years before selling and the average is two years.

I list CDs and DVDs too, but I don't sell enough to make any statements.

I suspect given a low sell-through category, eBay is trying to clear out the unsaleable.

Stores have always been for slow sell categories, going back to the turn of the Millennium when Store items did not even appear in Search.

The lower FVF was  nice though, especially on the items where I use Free Shipping.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@ripcityresell wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

On Amazon:

Amazon is 15% plus $1.80 plus $0.99 (for non pro accts). Not 'slightly' higher at all. It's actually quite a bit higher. eBay doesn't have the additional $1.80 variable fee.

And it's not just books going up here on eBay, CDs and DVDs are going up too.

I considered the pro account pretty standard since the fee you pay for a pro account is priced between basic and premium eBay accounts, and has an offering that surpasses the comparable eBay accounts in terms of what you get for the subscription.

If you are a large seller, your spending hundreds per month on an Anchor account, which evens things out a bit.

There's also quite a few aspects which are very hard to compare. For example, FBA tends to give the best visibility, and if you have a correct product suited for FBA you can save quite a bit on shipping fees compared to if you shipped yourself.

Of course, base selling price of your item factors in to which is better for you as well.

And yeah... I expect eBay to be raising more fees in the future. But I don't think this will help at all with eBay's mission of trying to become more competitive than Amazon... eBay's biggest advantage is cheaper prices, but they are slowly whitting away those advantages.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Personally, I feel ebay's biggest advantage is having "stuff" that AMZ doesn't, but they seem intent at whittling that away to nothing as well.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Actually, the increase for stores is 31% ( 2.85 / 9.15)

The increase for non-stores is 20%  (2 / 10).

You calculate percent change as (change / original amount) * 100%

So, it is worse than originally described.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
Personally, I feel ebay's biggest advantage is having "stuff" that AMZ doesn't, but they seem intent at whittling that away to nothing as well.

Exactly!

I rarely buy new things here. Why would I? I just go straight to the source, or a big box website, or I drag my behind out of the house and go to the store.  (I don't buy on Amazon, period.)

Had Ebay stuck to their roots, selling only vintage and preowned items it could have been THE premier website for the secondhand market on the internet. Instead it's just another junk site with a few gems hidden under the piles of garbage.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

You left out Amazon's constant need for you to sell cheaper than anyone else.  And their love of pointing that out to buyers.   

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Strap on the tinfoil hat here:

Semi-Public reasoning:  Book category is seriously messed up and will require the hiring/allocating of extra staff to get it into shape for Product pages.

Real reason:  Book category is seriously messed up and we can't fix it, so raise the rates and maybe most of the sellers will leave, they are selling old stuff so we really don't want them anymore anyway.

Smiley Surprised

Message 15 of 22
latest reply