cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay's return process is getting worse

I remember some time ago I got used to the "money back guarantee" aspect of eBay.  I recognized that in most cases, there wasn't an issue in my mind with the streamline of the issues.  

I was not happy about the absolute lack of customer service with regards to the return process; however, I've figured out ways to deal. 

..until recently. 

In the past, lying to eBay was grounds to close cases.  Now?  Nope, not anymore. 

I've had two instances in recent weeks of eBayers lying to eBay about their returns and abusing the process and eBay has allowed them. 

One instance, someone bought an item from me which was clearly noted as "broken".  They filed a return dispute with eBay which I fought.  I lost, they returned it and negged me.  eBay allowed them to lie in the case when it was clear my description said it was broken.   They opened a SNAD, not a buyer's remorse case.   I have a 15% restocking fee that would have applied. 

A couple weeks ago, I had a buyer with zero feedback and had created the account that day buy an item from me.  I had a very clear vibe I'd have an issue because of it.  The guitar body was unloaded of parts except for the tuning keys and a metal plate on the headstock.  No strings or electronics. 

He bought it and opened a dispute claiming 'missing pieces' SNAD and claimed a bunch of parts were missing that weren't in photos or description.  Contacted eBay.  Guess what?  They agreed immediately but then, she says, "But I'm seeing a 14-day-return policy so you have to accept it back". 
Unbelievable.  I have shouted down this garbage before but I sternly reasserted the facts.  She agreed.  Then she says, "He's going to return it, but you won't pay for it."  And I demanded I get my 15% restocking fee.  Still in disbelief. 

She agrees, when I refund him... I get to without restocking fee.  I settled with it.  I'm over this s***.  She says, "Most of them don't return it.  But if he does, let us know if there is an issue."

I checked today.  It's on the way back, I checked the return button:  I can't refund him minus the restocking fee.   I have to call again and this time raise Cain.  I'm sick and tired of being lied to.  And if that label comes back "package return service" (even though I didn't pay for it) I will know that eBay themselves subsidize bald-faced lies.   

This is to the point where permitting lies will damage the marketplace.  You can't let people lie because they will use it as a tool to damage accounts.  

In fact, I have this weird sense that this guy bought it with the sole intention of returning it and wasting my time and money.  It makes little sense any other way.  

After tens of thousands of transactions, I'm seeing a clear picture of growth of abusive buyers.  

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Well....first you're dealing with a severly inept CS, like so many are. I don't know what kind of training they get, but I think it's lie to the seller and get them off the phone, then settle the case for the buyer every time. 

Yeah, that sounds about right. 

I can read you're hopping mad, a time waster to get on the phone for your restocking fee. I wonder if ebay is the place anymore for parts not working items, and I'm leaning heavily toward it is not. Aren't there guitar parts swapping sites, something along those lines? 

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

" "But I'm seeing a 14-day-return policy so you have to accept it back"."

------------

Policy states you have to accept any return, for any reason during those 14 days.

Buyer's remorse, lying.. anything.

fwiw

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

"One instance, someone bought an item from me which was clearly noted as "broken".  They filed a return dispute with eBay which I fought.  I lost, they returned it and negged me.  eBay allowed them to lie in the case when it was clear my description said it was broken. "

-----

If that was the 1965 1966 Fender Mustang pickup,

you selected Used as the Item Condition

which according to policy, means the item is in full working condition.

Yeah, your description stated non-working, but that won't trump the Used (implied working)

guarantee.

fwiw,

Lynn

Lynn

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

"One instance, someone bought an item from me which was clearly noted as "broken".  

The Guitar Pickup?

Correct me if I am wrong...it was listed as Used.

Perhaps for Parts Not Working may have resulted in a different outcome...idk

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with some buyers who only scroll as far as the pictures.

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

ebay is not a partner with any non-behemoth seller, despite the warm and fuzzy blurbs to the contrary.

If you're small potatoes, ebay simply wants your money, but not your business.

Your business, your problem....how special. They've about ridden that pony into the ground.
Message 6 of 47
latest reply

Something can be both used and broken. 

I can own something broken and it be used. 

I've sold dozens and not had an issue. 

If you want to dink around with technicalities, you can sit in the lawn chair on the ship while it sinks.  

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

For those of us who read descriptions, the description clearly says it's broken. 

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

I'm one of the largest in my niche, half of the inventory I had a year ago. 

In 2 years or so, I'll be very small or very gone. 

Luckily for me, I will leave voluntarily.  

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

Half of my revenue is international - swap sites don't cut it. 

I appreciate the protections that eBay has for me and its ease - which is why I pay them tens of thousands of dollars a year.  

And yep, they are paid to lie.  Which is destructive.  

I remember years ago, if these issues would have happened the same way, they would have went the other way.  This was before the "guarantee".  

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

"Something can be both used and broken. "

Not on eBay.

Not according to the policies that will be used against you in SNAD cases.

"I've sold dozens and not had an issue.
If you want to dink around with technicalities, you can sit in the lawn chair on the ship while it sinks."

Smart sellers learn the rules which affect them financially.

And they are proactive in protecting themselves, instead of deflecting blame.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item-condition.html

Lynn

Lynn

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Sadly there's not many of us left who read full descriptions.

Btw are we talking about this description?...

"Non working, no visible break."

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

I remember years ago, if these issues would have happened the same way, they would have went the other way. 

It is no longer "years ago".  eBay has decided that its sellers need to be more consumer friendly - just like the rest of eCommerce.

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

Some woman lied and said she didn't think that Coach bag I had was authentic and I had to take it back even though I told them I could provide the invoice from Coach. As if that wasn't bad enough, I had to pay nearly $20 for a return fee.  She wrote abusive feedback, but they DID remove it. She was angry because it was a factory outlet edition, but there was no indication that the bag was retail. It was Fxxxxx, LIKE ALL COACH FACTORY PIECES. And there is no difference in quality. It's simply a different selection.

This was a number of years ago, so it's been an issue for a while. 

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

Sorry, OP, when you accept returns, and by what you said, you do, you take them for any reason.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply