cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay "collective sellers"... who don't follow any of the rules???

What is THAT all about?

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

@stevemartin60 wrote:

And then there's the guy based in Michigan (whose username can not be disclosed or YOU get banned) who somehow gets access to all the GSP items rejcected at the border by customs who relists YOUR ITEMS and even uses YOUR PHOTOS!

All this crap needs to stop!!

Both the buyer and the seller have been made whole.  This is how some of eBay's loss and the carrier's loss are recouped.   As for the use of the photos and descriptions, the eBay User Agreement makes it clear that anyone  may do so.

Nothing weird, conspiratorial, illegal, or unethical going on.  Just the ordinary, everyday stuff o commerce.

-

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@lakefor94 @inhawaii 

I'm guessing the OP means this: 

https://www.ebay.com/b/eBay-Collective/bn_7116337831

This was launched in 2016, and I had pretty much forgotten about it. While that page is still there, I'm not too sure ebay has actually been doing much with it. Here's the 2016 Announcement:

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-collective-provides-a-new-curated-experience/

Today, eBay launched a new destination, eBay Collective, an elevated shopping experience to provide interior designers and consumers with curated inventory of furniture, antiques, contemporary design and fine art. The bespoke experience has been specifically developed for eBay’s 164 million active buyers looking for sought-after products from trusted dealers and galleries. Dealers featured on the destination have been invited by eBay, and they meet eBay’s criteria to ensure a high-quality shopping experience.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques   I wasn't aware of the eBay Collective site ... they need electric trains on that venue, I volunteer LOL!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 18 of 51
latest reply

I just noticed....a lot of the left hand category links on the "ebay collective" page don't link to what they are supposed to link to. And the actual link for the ebay collective provided in the 2016 article doesn't link to the ebay collective page LOL

In short, I suspect it's safe to say that the ebay collective was probably quietly dropped sometime between 2017 and today. 

elizabeth@ebay  devon@ebay kyle@ebay  Could you guys check into the current status of the "ebay Collective", which, as noted in this thread, was launched by ebay in 2016? Is this still an active thing, and if not, when did it end?

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

Just drawing attention to ANOTHER non-egalitarian program that should NOT exist at all.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

Not weird?.....

OK, sure.

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

@stevemartin60   Interesting thread and topic and even with my experience I learned something new from this.  Is the eBay Collective something you would want to be part of?  They may also require a certain amount of sales volume from Sellers they invite to be part of that program, not sure about that but your account might be considered a low activity one from a Selling standpoint, at least on this ID you have posted with.

In about 8 years you have 245 sales and based on your Feedback count you must purchase more than you Sell.  So boiling down the overall average sales for that time period it comes out to about 2.5 sale per month.  You have I think 8 sales this year already which equates to about 2.6 per month this year.

You have some nice items for sale but I can imagine that paintings may take longer to sell then other categories.  Perhaps you have other avenues you sell on or collect and use eBay sales to help finance purchases ... 

In any event, again, thanks for this thread, I appreciate learning something new ... I checked out that eBay Collective site ... I personally wish they would break off one JUST for collectibles.

Regards,
Message 22 of 51
latest reply

Yes, it is still active.  I linked an example.

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

Thanks for this reply.  I am not that interested in getting "big."  Glad you learned something. Cheers!

What I would like though is to have my items' visibility restored to where it was prior to the last week of February when my listings were basically "turned off," without cause or explanation.

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

@mr_lincoln  Just to be clear, while that "ebay collective" PAGE exists, I strongly suspect its a zombie page, and the ebay collective itself is dead. Waiting for an answer from the Blues on that.

But this was like an early version of today's emphasis on "Focus Categories" (sneakers, high end watches and handbags, etc). As has so often been the case (remember "ebay Express"?) ebay launches new stuff and then fails to follow through, and sometimes they announce the end, and sometimes they just quietly abandon the project or feature. 

it's always possible that something like Art and Antiques could become the next Focus Category, but so far, ebay hasn't even hinted as to the next category, and we went all last year and nearly the first quarter of this year without a new launch, so pretty hard to know whether they actually have anything planned for this year (They have said they do, but if so, they are playing iot close to the vest.)

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

I just noticed....a lot of the left hand category links on the "ebay collective" page don't link to what they are supposed to link to. And the actual link for the ebay collective provided in the 2016 article doesn't link to the ebay collective page LOL

In short, I suspect it's safe to say that the ebay collective was probably quietly dropped sometime between 2017 and today. 

elizabeth@ebay  devon@ebay kyle@ebay  Could you guys check into the current status of the "ebay Collective", which, as noted in this thread, was launched by ebay in 2016? Is this still an active thing, and if not, when did it end?

Hey @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! We can look into this and once we have some more information we will be sure to share it.  

Devon,
eBay
Message 26 of 51
latest reply

@stevemartin60  Well, I see the "ebay collective dealer" badge on that seller's listing page, but......long experience with ebay tells me not to make too much of that. ebay has a long history of closing things down without cleaning everything up. 

Hopefully, we will actually hear something from the ebay "blues" I called out...my quick Google search didn't find anything newer than 2017, which suggests this never got sufficient traction for ebay to stick with it.

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

@stevemartin60  Well, I see the "ebay collective dealer" badge on that seller's listing page, but......long experience with ebay tells me not to make too much of that. ebay has a long history of closing things down without cleaning everything up...

Yes, there was once an "Authentic Americana" deal on eBay.  Can't remember the actual name or the details.  It slowly fizzled out.  But for years (and maybe to this day), you'd still run across the badge / tag on seller's listings.  Probably a part of templates no one bothered to redesign.

Sort of like the way that there is enormous hoopla around the wedding, but the divorce is pretty quiet.  🙂

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

@mr_lincoln  Just to be clear, while that "ebay collective" PAGE exists, I strongly suspect its a zombie page, and the ebay collective itself is dead. Waiting for an answer from the Blues on that.

But this was like an early version of today's emphasis on "Focus Categories" (sneakers, high end watches and handbags, etc). As has so often been the case (remember "ebay Express"?) ebay launches new stuff and then fails to follow through, and sometimes they announce the end, and sometimes they just quietly abandon the project or feature. 

it's always possible that something like Art and Antiques could become the next Focus Category, but so far, ebay hasn't even hinted as to the next category, and we went all last year and nearly the first quarter of this year without a new launch, so pretty hard to know whether they actually have anything planned for this year (They have said they do, but if so, they are playing iot close to the vest.)

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  Yes, I gathered a lot of that from posts here but the concept I think is a good one IF (as you implied) eBay were to follow through on it.  They are quick to skim off additional Fees from Sellers for promoting their items, but I fail miserably with promoting their own venue(s) ...  

Regards,
Message 29 of 51
latest reply

But, as I've already stated, there were sellers with this "meaningless badge" who were displaying auction items but not actually taking their low starting bids but forcing folks to go off site to negotiate/bid for the item.  Maybe that stopped very recently but it was a very real AND WEIRD thing.

Message 30 of 51
latest reply