cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay now authenticates jewelry....good luck

After everything I have seen about their other authentication services, I will not be sending any fine jewelry to them.  🙄

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@newlifeforoldstuff2 wrote:

After everything I have seen about their other authentication services, I will not be sending any fine jewelry to them.  🙄

I have a watch that I really would like to sell - but am hesitant to sell anything like that on here.   I have a ladies rolex oyster that was a gift and only worn a few times.  It has been appraised and I tried selling locally with a consignment shop, but would not lower my price, so after 3 months of it not selling, I took it back.

The Holidays are fast approaching and it would be *nice* to sell something like that - especially as e-Bay promotes them heavily.  

Just figure it would end badly and not only for me.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Honestly the only time I would sell jewels on eBay is if they were insured in the event of being lost or damaged going to the authenticator or if they authenticator had them.

>After everything I have seen about their other authentication services

c9295495e50435815e0e1af0321dd3f0.jpg

I have heard nightmarish stories about shoes being sold on eBay through the authentication service

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

You have chosen wisely.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I couldn't evan imagine selling a Rolex on ebay.

That sounds like a scammer magnet!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

OK, not an eBay cheerleader...but I started buying 'real' jewelry from Florida, there are a few auction houses here that back up their wares.  I got some unbelievable purchases.  Only once did I have to send an item back to a seller, the stones in the eyes of the dragon were not real.  No problem though, immediate refund.

You do have to know your gems, ask a lot of questions if necessary, and trust in the seller.  I decided on Florida for obvious reasons, people retire there and of course die there.  Gruesome I know, but I would like to think that 'they' are happy knowing that their loved items are loved now by someone else.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The authenticate service will work well for items in the extreme price range like really expensive engagement wedding rings, jewelry that needs to be authenticated for the diamond ruby and other expensive gem categories that only a Gia certified gemologist can identify as natural. As for jewelry in the lower than 500 dollar range it would be a waste of time money and energy. I sell in the under 500 range. It would NOT be cost effective for me to send these items have to wait to be ale to ship them promptly for my price range buyer. As for the state of fine jewelry sales this year, the low end buyers are not buying as much jewlery, this was researched by Zales. Steep drop off in under 500 jeweler, but a huge increase in the very high end stuff. This because people who are wealthy will still buy and they want to know it is absolutely authentic.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Well, there  is a lower risk using their authenticate program but I understand. Even these transaction can go south at times.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@newlifeforoldstuff2 wrote:

After everything I have seen about their other authentication services, I will not be sending any fine jewelry to them.  

dbfolks166mt_0-1667385283658.png

I have a watch that I really would like to sell - but am hesitant to sell anything like that on here.   I have a ladies rolex oyster that was a gift and only worn a few times.  It has been appraised and I tried selling locally with a consignment shop, but would not lower my price, so after 3 months of it not selling, I took it back.

The Holidays are fast approaching and it would be *nice* to sell something like that - especially as e-Bay promotes them heavily.  

Just figure it would end badly and not only for me.  

I am not sure what area you are located in but I am in northern Virginia close to Washington DC and I have taken several high dollar jewelry items into jewelry stores that will purchase the item usually at a decent price. They also have the ability to authenticate the item. There are LOTS of high income people in this area,  no I am not one of them, so there is a pretty good local buyers market. 

I always calculate what I want to get for the item and then deduct 10- 20% which is what I would pay in fees either on eBay or another online auction house/forum. Another option would be to consign it to one of the high end auction houses like Sotheby's or Christie's. I believe Sotheby's has a 10% fee not sure about Christie's. 

I have to agree with inhawaii  listing a Rolex on eBay I would think would be a scammer target. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@vintagecraze50  "As for the state of fine jewelry sales this year, the low end buyers are not buying as much jewlery, this was researched by Zales. Steep drop off in under 500 jeweler..."

Well, that helps to explain why my jewelry sales are WAY down compared to many other years.  My sister sells on eBay and her jewelry sales are down as well.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...NOT.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

No way I would sell ANYTHING here that has to go through an authenticator. Period. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

This is 47th street between 6th Avenue & 5th Avenue, the heart of this country’s jewelry world.  I venture to say right this second there are approximately 5,000 watch & jewelry dealers there in booths, stores & offices who want to right now buy your Rolex for cash.
I’m sure your town has jewelry & watch shops & malls & buying markets too.

Go peddle it!  

Everyone I know wants to buy, own & wear a Rolex!  Easy Peasy to sell anywhere in the world 🌎 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

B90DA5D7-5C32-4209-9ED8-81244BF00AB5.jpeg

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yes. The economy inflation stuffs has hit the little guy fairly hard this year and that is why people who normally buy in that range are not buying as much this year. The rich, well the economy no matter how bad it is does not  put a dent in their spending habits. They just invest their money in different places and make it no matter what.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Well, as far as Christmas goes, let’s hope we can get out of it where at least we are not loosing money on inventory we have purchased. Try reducing prices some in anticipation of slightly higher volume. Good Luck.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply