cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay new request policy - buyer has to confirm delivery?

Hey all.

So a buyer opened a request saying their item hadn't arrived, but not long after they opened the request, tracking marked the item as delivered, and I received an e-mail from eBay stating this:

"Shipping status shows the item was delivered. An update to shipping status shows the item has arrived. If that's not the case, the buyer has up to 24 hours to ask us to step in and help. If we don't hear back from the buyer, the request will be closed."

This is confusing.

What if the buyer decides to lie and say they didn't receive their item even though it was marked delivered? What does eBay do in that instance? I would think they would just refund the buyer out of their own pocket, correct? Or else what is the point of tracking if I would have to refund the buyer myself anyway?

Anyone have any experience with this type of situation yet?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: eBay new request policy - buyer has to confirm delivery?

If the buyer opened a Item Not Received case,  if you have not already entered the tracking number directly  into the INR case, do that now. Should be a win for you no matter what the buyer states.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I have had the situation where "that message"(nothing new) is generated but have not had one where the buyer claimed that it then had not been delivered. The requests have closed.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yep I have done that already. Typically all I have had to do was do that and it would be a win for me in the past. I've never gotten this message from eBay before which was why I was just a bit confused.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@cerulean_city wrote:

Yep I have done that already. Typically all I have had to do was do that and it would be a win for me in the past. I've never gotten this message from eBay before which was why I was just a bit confused.

Thanks!

You may have run across a new initiative by eBay. 

I have noticed a LOT of threads lately where sellers are getting suspended for an inordinate amount of INR cases. 

Posting ID
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

If tracking says delivered. ebay will either reimburse them or close the case. Nothing to worry about. ALWAYS use tracking.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

I have noticed a LOT of threads lately where sellers are getting suspended for an inordinate amount of INR cases. 

The ones you have noticed recently are aall offshore sellers, most of them involved in dropshipping of one sort another and pretty much all of them "have resolved the buyer issue" and think that wipes the slate clean (which it doesn't).

It's all part of new initiative by eBay to crack down on foreign drop shippers.

I've bought a few things recently on Temu (an alternate to Alibaba), their packages originate from fulfillment operations in California, they arrive with no packing slip or invoice. The shipping label does show Temu but the address used is that of the local last mile carrier.

They are perfect for the new wave of drop shippers from Pakistan, Sri Lanka etc. but from eBay's perspective it's retail arbitrage rather than classic drop shipping.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@cerulean_city wrote:

Hey all.

So a buyer opened a request saying their item hadn't arrived, but not long after they opened the request, tracking marked the item as delivered, and I received an e-mail from eBay stating this:

"Shipping status shows the item was delivered. An update to shipping status shows the item has arrived. If that's not the case, the buyer has up to 24 hours to ask us to step in and help. If we don't hear back from the buyer, the request will be closed."

This is confusing.

What if the buyer decides to lie and say they didn't receive their item even though it was marked delivered? What does eBay do in that instance? I would think they would just refund the buyer out of their own pocket, correct? Or else what is the point of tracking if I would have to refund the buyer myself anyway?

Anyone have any experience with this type of situation yet?

Thanks!

Although the INR case was opened in good faith as they had NOT received their item, the item is now delivered. If they tried to claim they hadn't in fact received, i assume it would go the way the case wouldve gone if they opened an INR with tracking already marked as delivered prior to case opening. (You Win.) Whatever EBay does for that buyer is EBay's business as long as you win on an INR case marked "delivered"

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@lakefor94 wrote:

The ones you have noticed recently are aall offshore sellers, most of them involved in dropshipping of one sort another and pretty much all of them "have resolved the buyer issue" and think that wipes the slate clean (which it doesn't).

It's all part of new initiative by eBay to crack down on foreign drop shippers.

I've bought a few things recently on Temu (an alternate to Alibaba), their packages originate from fulfillment operations in California, they arrive with no packing slip or invoice. The shipping label does show Temu but the address used is that of the local last mile carrier.

They are perfect for the new wave of drop shippers from Pakistan, Sri Lanka etc. but from eBay's perspective it's retail arbitrage rather than classic drop shipping.

You have spelled it out there really nice.

Posting ID
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The seller has like 3 or 4 days to respond to INR to the buyer. Then eBay can step in after that date. There is no 24 hours when a buyer opens a INR and it is taken care of. You might not have seen the open claim on the first day it was sent to you. You can google the address of the buyer to see the house or building or vacant lot or if it's freight forward.

I had a buyer with a standard envelope that went to a freight forward address...I checked the address and it was a commercial building. I emailed him 3 months ago about it and never hear back. A letter going freight forward will sit until other packages arrive before it is sent out to another country...causing the delay. Me questioning the buyer about his address I got ghosted.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

There is no 24 hours when a buyer opens a INR and it is taken care of.

---------------------------------------------------------

That 24 hour message that the OP posted about is just as they stated. It is the message that is sent when the item shows delivered 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

If the item was marked as delivered the buyer's claim of "item not delivered" is void and no adjustments will be made to your account.  The issue I have is that there is a "loophole" for dishonest buyers.  Say you sell something and send it via ebay standard envelope.  The tracking system is notoriously flawed as I have a good percentage of items recorded as not delivered yet I have received positive feedback.  Thus, a buyer can receive an item and then watch the tracking to see if it is updated.  If after a few weeks it is not...they can file an "item not received" claim and the buyer has no choice but to refund their money.  Of course there is no way to prove that the item was indeed delivered as the PO does of poor job of scanning these envelopes at the destination post office and has no way to "track" the item using their normal system.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply