cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is discontinuing guides in April

In case you didn't see it...

eBay is discontinuing guides and will be removing them from the site between now and April 12, 2018. If you’ve used guides to help bring buyers to your listings, we offer sellers even more effective ways to generate traffic. Learn how promoted listings and Promotions Manager will help you drive velocity. Please save your work before guides are removed from the site April 12. Backing them up to your computer is as simple as copying and pasting them into new text documents. To keep your guides published on the web, consider transferring them to a web publishing platform, such as Wordpress or Blogger.

I'm really sad to see the guides go. I had a lot of them published. They are also taking away customizable stores soon, so creating custom pages in your store (yes, I considered that) will not work either. Smiley Sad

https://bio.link/langs
Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

@*coinswrote:

@castlemagicmemorieswrote:

@*coinswrote:

Out with the old and in with what Millenials want. it took me 8 seconds to write that so Millenials already changed their mind.

@mallontown- what is 'nana-nana-boo-boo' supposed to mean and why did you copy what the eBay emplyees have as their siggys for your siggy?

I'm just curious.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Community-Platform-Feedback/What-can-a-poster-do-when-a-question-is-no...

Thanks for sharing...I see that I will probably never get an answer then. Smiley Wink

You are welcome.  

Google is your friend.  

Message 46 of 65
latest reply

@*coinswrote:

@*coinswrote:

Out with the old and in with what Millenials want. it took me 8 seconds to write that so Millenials already changed their mind.

@mallontown- what is 'nana-nana-boo-boo' supposed to mean and why did you copy what the eBay emplyees have as their siggys for your siggy?

I'm just curious.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Community-Platform-Feedback/What-can-a-poster-do-when-a-question-is-no...

Thanks for sharing...I see that I will probably never get an answer then. Smiley Wink

You are welcome.  

Google is your friend.  

I didn't think to Google that. Great idea!

https://bio.link/langs
Message 47 of 65
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@*coins wrote:

eBay is discontinuing guides and will be removing them from the site between now and April 12, 2018. If you’ve used guides to help bring buyers to your listings, we offer sellers even more effective ways to generate traffic. Learn how promoted listings and Promotions Manager will help you drive velocity. Please save your work before guides are removed from the site April 12. Backing them up to your computer is as simple as copying and pasting them into new text documents. To keep your guides published on the web, consider transferring them to a web publishing platform, such as Wordpress or Blogger.

I'm really sad to see the guides go. I had a lot of them published. They are also taking away customizable stores soon, so creating custom pages in your store (yes, I considered that) will not work either. Smiley Sad

Hi everyone,  

We've sent out an email to those who have written a Buying Guide in the past, but I also wanted to address some of the concerns raised here. The way that people seek and share content online has changed drastically since guides were launched, and the reality is that guides no longer fit into most buyer and sellers’ online shopping behavior.

This being said, sellers today have many alternatives which better suit how people shop and search for content, including:

• Promoted Listings and Promotions Manager, which together increase listing visibility and move more of the merchandise sellers choose.
  • Social channels and blogs, which not only drive traffic to sellers’ listings and stores, but also help them brand themselves as experts in their field.
  • And of course our eBay Community, where all eBay customers can ask questions, share their expertise, and engage with fellow members of the world’s largest online marketplace.

I hope this adds some context to our recent decision regarding guides. We look forward to seeing everyone's expertise shared here on the boards and other platforms!

Message 48 of 65
latest reply

We've sent out an email to those who have written a Buying Guide in the past, but I also wanted to address some of the concerns raised here. The way that people seek and share content online has changed drastically since guides were launched, and the reality is that guides no longer fit into most buyer and sellers’ online shopping behavior.

If you mean "we removed most of the navigation so people can't find them", yes the way people seek and share content online, on eBay anyhow, has indeed changed. 

However, for folks liks shipscript, who have written detailed extensive guides on how to do something (they were never intended, or billed as, "Buying Guides", until recently), to expect them to re-type that for every DB question is unrealistic, and other users could also provide links to the Guide too if shipscript isn't around at that moment. 

There's a lot of garbage in the Guides to be sure, but it's also the best repository of truly useful eBay related user generated information anywhere.  By wholesale deleting it, you're throwing away priceless original content that most sites would kill to have. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 49 of 65
latest reply

@Anonymous

...the best repository of truly useful eBay related user generated information anywhere.  By wholesale deleting it, you're throwing away priceless original content that most sites would kill to have. 

I am apparently not alone in my opinion on this...

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4156652-ebay-deletes-500000-guides-lose-billion-page-views

Message 50 of 65
latest reply

@ted_200wrote:

@shipscriptwrote:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-End-of-eBay-Guides-/10000000249625364/g.html

The loss of any Guides you wrote will be a loss indeed.  Smiley Sad

What are the 'Guides' Ebay is referring to?  Are they something for those with stores use?

"In the end, only kindness matters."
Message 51 of 65
latest reply

Tutorials and such created by eBay and community members. Things like this:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Guidelines-for-Buying-Guitars-on-eBay-/10000000249811042/g.html
Message 52 of 65
latest reply

@714gorillawrote:

@ted_200wrote:

@shipscriptwrote:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-End-of-eBay-Guides-/10000000249625364/g.html

The loss of any Guides you wrote will be a loss indeed.  Smiley Sad

What are the 'Guides' Ebay is referring to?  Are they something for those with stores use?

"Reviews & Guides" were part of the eBay Community platform (unrelated to the current "Product Reviews") where users wrote Guides on how to do something, or Reviews of an item or items.  Reviews were not necessarily product specific, they might review all of the available toaster ovens, or Clint Eastwood movies, or whatever.  It was only recently that someone decided "Guides" were supposed to be "Buying Guides", and it has nothing to do with Stores.

Here is a Guide on how to create a basic listing template, written by the user I replied to:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Templettes-are-Mini-Auction-Templates-for-eBay-Inserts-/10000000000719287/g....

Here is a Guide I wrote to help beginner coin collectors:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Advice-for-Beginner-Coin-Collectors-Prices-Grading-/10000000004402925/g.html

My Guide has had all the navigation disconnected from it for months, eBay keeps hiding it claiming:

"These reviews are not posted because they do not comply with our community content policy or because they only contain ratings. Select ‘Edit' to update and post updated reviews."

There is no edit button, and they don't violate any community content policy anyhow.

Message 53 of 65
latest reply

Are you kidding me?! What is with websites removing useful features?!
Message 54 of 65
latest reply

@abrahamstechnologywrote:

It might distract users from the useless features they are planning on adding?

Message 55 of 65
latest reply

...because you're not paying them for it.  Just like their 'Promoted Listings".  Ya gotta Pay to Play on Ebay.  Good ole Ebay

"In the end, only kindness matters."
Message 56 of 65
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

@*coinswrote:

Anything to erase the uniqueness of individual sellers footprint in the market place. One look fits all. Also a good way for eBay to set up the appearance that the inventory on the site is eBay's inventory. Give it time and I bet public access to seller inventories will be on the chopping block. 

Amazon makes it intentionally hard for you to notice that it is an individual seller selling the item, sure the seller is there but you have to be conscious of it, and even when you are conscious of it all the sellers have **bleep**ty storefronts giving the impression that they are sellers hired by amazon, amazon should just rename themselves to sephora 2 and stop wasting everyone's time, their shipping prices are pretty much the same, coughing up ridiculous money for shipping could mean the difference between $20 or $100 dollars even if the shipping is "cheap".

Message 57 of 65
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

It might distract users from the useless features they are planning on adding?

Because all CEOs are longa-throat wanting more when they already have enough just like a teenager that needs her 100th plastic surgery when she is perfect enough as it is until something terrible happens.

Seriously with PHP coding it should not be that hard to polish the site, or tweak it without inconveniencing the entire userbase.

Message 58 of 65
latest reply

If you really want to remove clutter, why not get rid of Product 'Reviews' that appear in item listing?   

Ebay was many years lates to that game and half of the ebay reviews actually read like feedback to a particular seller about their unique transaction.  Stupid annoying clutter.

Message 59 of 65
latest reply

@let_me_shop_and_no_one_gets_hurt wrote:

If you really want to remove clutter, why not get rid of 'Reviews'?   Ebay was many years lates to that game and half of the ebay reviews actually read like feedback to a particular seller about their unique transaction.  Stupid annoying clutter.

Again reviews don't have good SEO but are needed so that you know the item is not complete trash, info about the seller is good so that you know if the seller keeps the items in poor condition.

Again because reviews do not have good SEO, people do not or forget to write reviews which ironically leads people to amazon to read reviews on whether the item is good or not.

Message 60 of 65
latest reply