cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay failiung to protect sellers against unfair shipment rates

I think the rates for postage USPS First Class are getting a little ridiculous.

I know it's been said before but eBay isn't doing enough to help control it - even with the supposed discounts.

It is becoming a situation in which more and more types of merchandise are having their own face values outstripped by the face value of what it costs to send it.  It is happening more and more every single day.

It is not right, and it is time eBay steps in.

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: eBay failiung to protect sellers against unfair shipment rates

eBay has nothing to do with USPS rates, sorry.

Message 2 of 101
latest reply

You do understand that USPS is government and Ebay is private business.....right?
Message 3 of 101
latest reply

Those discounts are simply commercial rates set by the post office. I'm not sure what you think ebay should do. Should they make every seller buy their postage through ebay and make a deal with the PO? Should they make the post office lower their rates? 

Message 4 of 101
latest reply

I don't quite know what you mean by "it's not right"

And just what would you like eBay to do about whatever it is that isn't right? I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Have you thought about selling merchandise that might have greater value and more in demand than left over model car kit bits?

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 5 of 101
latest reply

wrote:
You do understand that USPS is government and Ebay is private business.....right?

The postal service is not part of the Government.  It's private just like eBay.

Karen

~~ This is not my Seller account ~~
Message 6 of 101
latest reply

wrote:

I know it's been said before but eBay isn't doing enough to help control it - even with the supposed discounts.

It is becoming a situation in which more and more types of merchandise are having their own face values outstripped by the face value of what it costs to send it.  It is happening more and more every single day.

It is not right, and it is time eBay steps in.

USPS can and does negotiate reduced shipping rates with some companies, including eBay.  But USPS has limited room to negotiate and so does eBay.   The good news is that we pay less than the counter rate for USPS shipping.  That's quite a lot better than nothing.  

Actually it's surprising to me how many sellers refuse to use eBay's shipping and prefer to pay full rate at the USPS counter.  

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 7 of 101
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

The postal service is not part of the Government.  It's private just like eBay.

The United States Postal Service (USPS; also known as the Post Office, U.S. Mail, or Postal Service) is an independent agency of the United States federal government responsible for providing postal service in the United States, including its insular areas and associated states. It is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution.

Message 8 of 101
latest reply

There is collusion between the two, trust me.

Case in point: eBay's fee for shipping. Shipping costs are business expense and that is not taxable. That is the law of the land.

So why does eBay feel entitled to do so, essentially tax you on your business expenses? The answer is simple- it is a USPS kitty fund. Of that I have no doubt. eBay doesn't ultimately keep that money. It pays off the USPS, as a thank you for basically being there for the little guy, the small seller mainly (which, of course, eBay is just trying to get rid of best it can).

without the USPS, eBay would never survive. Without the sellers of things under $20, eBay could survive but it would be detrimental overall.

A lot of people think eBay charges fees on shipping as a deterrent against inflated shipping costs. I, personally, have never bought that excuse.
Message 9 of 101
latest reply

If you don't like the USPS postal rates, I suggest you examine the comparable rates for Federal Express (FedEx), United Parcel Service (UPS), DHL, or some of the other shipping companies.

You'll be very grateful that USPS charges as LITTLE as they actually do, in comparison with the other available choices.

Message 10 of 101
latest reply

"Shipping costs are business expense and that is not taxable."

False.

Message 11 of 101
latest reply

Because they're up to what - about half what everybody else charges?

Message 12 of 101
latest reply

why does eBay ....essentially tax you 

OK that's just out there. Sorry.

There is collusion between the two, trust me.

If you mean a contract, that's not the same as collusion.  

My tin foil hat is at the cleaners right now.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 13 of 101
latest reply

If you don't like USPS' rates, then take it up with Congress. Postal rates are set by USPS and a Congressional committe tasked with overseeing those rates. USPS applies for a rate change, the committee approves.

BTW, USPS is so outrageous that some Canadians living near the border have made it a habit to cross into the United States to mail pieces to Canadian addresses because USPS international rates to Canada are in some cases cheaper than Canada Post domestic.

Message 14 of 101
latest reply

sam9876, it's not false.

And to clarify, I wouldn't call it collusion between the two entities. That may be misleading.

What I really am saying is that the USPS some time ago, likely told eBay something like this:

Look, we are running at capacity. Our overhead is through the roof. We are going broke. We can barely make payroll. The infrastructure of our postal locations is aging significantly. The NALC is demanding we extend better benefits and pay. Yada yada...

So, as a consequence, what eBay did in response, was insert the fee on shipping. It was either that OR the USPS would have just raised their rates even more than what they already had done FOR ALL PEOPLE (eBay seller or not) and the USPS didn't want to do that.

Nobody can disprove this theory of mine. Basically, to my thinking, the USPS got fed up with the demand for service that kept piling up year after year after year by eBay sellers. The selling fee on eBay was a way to assuage the USPS amid changing times and an increased burden. The amount of packages starting getting a little crazy.

eBay gives a percentage (if not the whole amount) of those fees directly back to the USPS. Prove me wrong?
Message 15 of 101
latest reply