cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay customer service at it's finest

2 months ago i contacted eBay and asked if i could list a Swedish smoking aid product. A product that is 100% tobacco-free but containing nicotine. eBays answer back that it's allowed and there will be no problems as long as the product doesn't contain any tobacco.

I start listing these items like crazy and i sell loads of them from day one. 2 weeks later i get an email stating that i have broken the tobacco rule and all my items have been deleted from the site. They also warn me that if it ever happens again my account will be limited.

I contact eBay and ask why they have deleted all products they approved 2 weeks ago. They reply back that my items product images clearly show it's a tobacco product and that ebay's experts have decided to delete them from eBay.
I reply back asking what images show tobacco since none of the images shows any tobacco. They clearly show the label wich says Tobaccoo-free nicotine pouches though. They answer back that the items were in fact deleted from the site for having the word tobacco-free in the title and the description. They admit they did wrong and tells me to list all items again but without the word "tobacco-free". They also tell me that it's perfectly fine to use the word Nicotine in the titles and descriptions.

I spend 2 days relisting and perfecting all listings again. 0 tobacco words in the titles nor in the description. Sales instantly pick up. Another 2 weeks pass and then i get the same email again. I have now broken the tobacco rule again and my items are yet again deleted from the site. My account is also limited for breaking the rules twice.

I contact ebay again. Asking what's going on since they deleted my products again even though i was promised all items was allowed if i listed them as the previous rep told me. I also provided the MSG ID's from the previous contact so they could read them.

They reply back with another standard answer that tobacco products are banned. After a few hours of emailing back and forth, they tell me that the products were now deleted for containing the word Nicotine. (the word that the previous rep told me to use to have the items properly indexed by the search engine) It makes sense since Nicotine is the word the buyer would search for.

They now tell me to re-list the items again but without the word nicotine in it.

The rep also tells me that i can appeal their decision to limit my account. All i have to do is call them on business hours (which is in the middle of the night here in Sweden). I reply back why i have to appeal their decision to limit my account when they admit that they done wrong twice.

The answer i get back is more or less hilarious. They reply yet again with the first standard answer. That i have broken the rules and sold tobacco on eBay.

Back to square one. I gave up and listed my items on "the other side". 

Few pasted answers:

1. Items that contain tobacco are not permitted on eBay, regardless of the collectability or age of the product. Collectible tobacco containers or packaging may still be listed on eBay, but only if they do not contain any actual tobacco, and the images in the listing clearly show this.

2. Mike, you are right that you can list the item as long as it does not contain tobacco. I do apologize for the confusion, yes you can include the word “nicotine” on your listing. Now, in your future listings, I would suggest that you remove the word “tobacco-free” or “tobacco” and just replace it with nicotine on your listing title or description so that your items will no longer be removed again.

3. As I have checked it here Mike and your removed listing have the ‘Nicotine’ on it. As we all know Nicotine is a substance of tobacco, cigarette and e-cigarette on which is not allowed here on eBay.”

To sum it up. On eBay we can list tobacco-free products if we don't include the word tobacco-free since that might confuse the experts on eBay. eBay recommends using the word Nicotine freely in our tobacco-free listings as long as we don't use the word Nicotine. Also, check your images careful. Images showing non-tobacco products might confuse eBay experts thinking your selling Tobacco.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/tobacco-policy?id=4273

Sounds like you got the run around. Nicotine Patches are allowed. Is that what you’re trying to sell?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

What a terrible experience. Thank you for sharing. I do not have any advice for you. All I can do is shake my head. I've never had to deal with tobacco products or listing removals, so I can't provide you advice specific. What I would recommend is to write eBay's Office of the President at the Legal Address found in their User Agreement with this information and any print out of any emails you have. This is the type of customer service experience is something eBay is focused on. You can't always get through to a good decision maker at eBay on a phone call. But writing a letter to the CEO will always get you a response from "The Office of the President" at eBay. I've had luck with this approach. I would take the time to inform them of your experience. I am sorry you had to endure this. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

They are kinda like nicotine gum. But instead of constant chewing you put the "pouch" under the upper lip.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the tip! Will do send them a letter.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

It's nicotine so you should know that hiding the fact by removing the word tobacco will not help.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I have not hidden any facts. Quit the opposite, I tried to be as clear as possible in my listing using the information given by eBay so the items wouldn't be deleted. 

Nicotine gum and patches are allowed and eBay classified my product as one of these categories when I first contacted them.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

An interesting example of eBay intelligence applied to a listing, followed by some abysimal customer support. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

doug@ebay 

Can you shed some light on this situation. Customer Service doesn’t seem to be providing correct advice. Thanks 

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

With all due respect, it would seem that the 'bots have been programmed to take down anything related to smoking and/or tobacco and paraphernalia.  There isn't very much that any human can do about it - except give you an excuse and/or reason, no matter how valid or invalid, because it is all programmed - including the e-mails, it would seem.  ebay isn't going to share the stipulations of the programming as that would be telling secrets, so no humans can say yea or nay, with any validity.

Respectfully speaking, there are some thing that are just 'not going to fly' on ebay.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

With all due respect, it would seem that the 'bots have been programmed to take down anything related to smoking and/or tobacco and paraphernalia.  There isn't very much that any human can do about it - except give you an excuse and/or reason, no matter how valid or invalid, because it is all programmed - including the e-mails, it would seem.  ebay isn't going to share the stipulations of the programming as that would be telling secrets, so no humans can say yea or nay, with any validity.

Respectfully speaking, there are some thing that are just 'not going to fly' on ebay.

@store-of-swedenThis could be another good point to include in your letter. If their Bots aren't keeping up with policy causing undo calls for them and upset sellers maybe this should be brought to their attention.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@store-of-sweden wrote:

To sum it up. On eBay we can list tobacco-free products if we don't include the word tobacco-free since that might confuse the experts on eBay. eBay recommends using the word Nicotine freely in our tobacco-free listings as long as we don't use the word Nicotine. Also, check your images careful. Images showing non-tobacco products might confuse eBay experts thinking your selling Tobacco.

The experts all agree...I'm confused too. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Although this may be true, it doesn't make it right to treat people this way, whether in the real world or online.

It's just sad to see another seller get penalized after trying so hard to be in compliance.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Although this may be true, it doesn't make it right to treat people this way, whether in the real world or online.

It's just sad to see another seller get penalized after trying so hard to be in compliance.

Absolutely in agreement with you.  My post wasn't an excuse for the action(s), merely a plausible explanation.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Was thinking about bots and automated detection of these kinds of products. But when I searched for related products with exact same words I find listings that has been alive for years. For example Nicotine Gum products. They contain all the words eBay told me not to use. So one can wonder how those products was excluded by the script.

Maybe the larger sellers listings are excluded completely from the bots and the items are therefor never removed even though they use the same key words.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply