cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay clearly messed up, admits it, and I'm still sorting out this mess

April 27th, a Saturday, I sell a gaming laptop

The following Monday, April 29th I ship the laptop out, post office closed on Sundays.

One day later (Tuesday) the buyer opens a INR case, yes this is two business days after sale, and yes this is still within MY time to even ship the item out!

3 hours later the buyer is granted a full refund, $1000

Having been on the otherwise of a INR, I'm thinking how was this granted so quickly?? Whenever I've opened a INR case, eBay has given the seller every opportunity and timeline for the item to arrive.

Tracking was provided and marked as accepted by USPS at the time of the refund.

I open a appeal thinking this is clearly a mistake, I do not know or understand how this buyer was granted a refund so quickly, I submit the tracking number as part of the appeal.

I submit the appeal Tuesday afternoon after the refund, by the next morning the appeal was already upheld and closed.

I call customer service.

The person reviews the information provided, is in full agreement something went wrong here. They add additional information to an appeal to the appeal if you will. They also tell me I have unlimited appeals. But should receive a determination in 48 hours.

Less than 24 hours later I get a email from a Linda in appeals that the outcome will be upheld, even though the verbiage in her email clearly states a understanding that the timeframes in question to this refund do not make sense to eBays seller protection policies.

I call customer service again, they tell me once the item is delivered then everything will be sorted out and I will get my money.

Which to clarify, I had the money from the sale, because my account has a long history of positive feedback for sales, so I get immediate payouts.

The problem is when the refund was granted, a -$1000 balance was added to my account, basically eBay saying I owe them that money.

May 7th the item was delivered, I shipped on time, but it took a bit longer due to severe storms in that area of the country.

I then contact customer service AGAIN, saying item was delivered what's going on, I get runaround answers and demand to talk to customer service leadership.

It is then when I get Kaliegh and after reviewing the case, she determines something DEFINITELY went wrong and submits a manual correction. Which I'm told can take 7-10 days. 

It's now day 7 after that interaction and the negative balance is still on my account.

For eBays admitted and irrefutable failure to protect a seller and follow its own policies.

This whole time eBay has been hounding me for the uncollected fees, attempted two chargebacks to my account, which ive had to keep empty to prevent them from collecting money they should never have been attempting to collect.

This is hours of time lost, stress, constant customer service calls and interactions, for what seems to be a fraudulent (and successful) attempt to obtain a expensive gaming laptop for free.

Im sure day 10 will come around and I will have to contact eBay yet again to actually get this negative balance removed.

Every step of the process I get assurances of outcomes that always fall through.

If you think you are protected selling on eBay, you are very very wrong. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I really hope you get your money. This is totally messed up. I am sooooo glad I no longer sell here. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Can you show a screen shot of the INR history? I'm curious.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have a defect on my account that Ebay has admitted on the phone was a mistake. THey send it off to another department and I get a message same day saying that they will not remove it. I call them and they again say yes it was a mistake. Do the same again and i get a message saying they will not remove it. 

The Defect. A closed return case they say I did not respond too. 

I sold a camera. The camera LCD had a pixel out. I missed it when looking over and testing the camera. fair enough. I offered the buyer 50% of his money back. He did not want that and said now. The case was instantly closed in their favor and their money returned. I was sitting at my computer when it happened. I messaged the buyer and asked what happened. He had no clue but was cool and sent the camera back. I thought all was ok. Now I see the defect on my account. I did not see the defect right away and Ebay says they can not do anything. 

So I was a seller and seen the refund instantly. I was confused but my buyer was very cool and sent the item back. I was lucky. 

Ebay admits the mess up on the phone and even in messages. But now past 90 days and they blame that for the reason they can not remove it

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Something is really fishy here, but if your story is 100% true, I wouldn't have contacted the CS you did and would go straight to the good Customer Service you can find on eBay's social media accounts. Someone else will have the links. 

They are the ones with any real power... the ones you get via eBay's website lie endlessly.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I'd be contacting the post office and filing a mail fraud report. Your buyer has a legal obligation to pay for anything they purchased online and that was shipped thru the US Postal Service.

At some point I'd imagine more ebay executives will be going to prison, or should be anyway, for the massive amount of fraud they perpetrate. This is downright theft, plain and simple. Contact USPS they can help you.

Lawmakers need to do something about this blatant fraud, it needs to stop, and there's zero excuse for it. No one has the right to keep your product because it arrived late, I would be taking legal action to defend myself in such a situations. ebay is not a lawmaker, and there policies do not override the laws of this nation.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

Something is really fishy here, but if your story is 100% true, I wouldn't have contacted the CS you did and would go straight to the good Customer Service you can find on eBay's social media accounts. Someone else will have the links. 

They are the ones with any real power... the ones you get via eBay's website lie endlessly.

Here's copy/paste from a comment I have bookmarked for contacting Customer Service on eBay's social media accounts. Hopefully the links post as well! If not, the comment with working links is here: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Is-there-anything-I-can-do-about-this-So-disheartening/m-p/340...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply