cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay buyer extortion

Does anyone have any experience with getting negative feed back removed.

I sent a at least 50 year old piece of Louis Vuitton luggage to Canada. Customer received it and demanded I send him 260 dollars back because he saw one that went off on a auction cheaper.  Ok buyer remorse I get it I offered him a 100 refund we finally agreed . A few days after that he     Messaged me and said if I didn’t send him a another 150 he will leave negative feedback. I sent ebay a message that I felt was being extorted didn’t hear anything back. So he goes ahead and leaves feedback saying the case is damaged. Sent a negative back removal was denied  does anyone have a way to talk to a live person on eBay ?  Is this how things should work isn’t this extortion like the eBay policy casts ? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

eBay buyer extortion

as long as it's in the ebay message system you just call and they intervene.  customer service takes this very seriously.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

eBay buyer extortion

gave him some money back? sounds like you are a reasonable seller. unfortunately the helpful i gave that had the link to talk to a person on the phone is buried in the mess of topics in here. some people are reporting they respond somewhat quickly on facebook. if you have that you might try facebook. i cant view the helpful i gave to give the link to call customer service.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

I would contact eBay via Facebook (ebay for business) https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

They can see the message (hopefully you didn't delete it) where the buyer was demanding something extra that wasn't included in the listing and threatened bad feedback if you didn't do it.

Lately they have been slow via Facebook, but be patient, they do come through and it should be removeable.

Never send a feedback revision to a buyer unless you know they are will to change it.

You only get so many a year, so you don't want to waste them.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

If you dig around in Help, you'll find an Automated FB removal request (sorry I don't remember where I found the link).  I used it last week & I was stunned by how quickly & easily it worked.  My NEUT was removed within minutes.   

Make sure you direct them to your messages back & forth.  Most extortion cases are not really extortion, but IF your buyer said 'give me mo money or I'll leave a neg' that IS extortion.   I would also quote the exact line & message where he said it, bolding the line b/c his actual FB doesn't say anything that would get him in trouble.  

BTW,  NEG FB doesn't really affect your account, so while I understand it's frustrating, only defects & Dashboard metrics affect your account & FB has nothing to do with defects.   If you choose to leave a reply, make sure it's factual & non emotional.     

Personally, I would not have given him a penny back.  Someone else sold it cheaper?  What difference does that make?  Has nothing to do with your transaction.   How odd that he referred to himself as an 'extra low baller'.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

I guess I just came here because I am frustrated. This is the last time this will happen I should have excepted the return and been done with it. Lesson learned.   Thank for the feedback to the buyer thing I didn’t know that You only have so many. I would never send one to him at this point it would do no good. I made deal with him twice sold item with discount and gave partial refund and he agrees and wants more ? I am more upset with eBay not having sellers how can they not uphold their own policy. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

yes unfortunately there are some bad buyers out there. but there are reasonable buyers also. same goes for the sellers. there are trash sellers and there are reasonable sellers like you, that is hard to come by. i understand your frustrations.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

as long as it's in the ebay message system you just call and they intervene.  customer service takes this very seriously.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

Check your buyer's "feedback left for others" & see if they have a pattern of doing this.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

@aeparts1 wrote:

Check your buyer's "feedback left for others" & see if they have a pattern of doing this.

Not a bad idea, but even in OP's case, the guy was smart & made no reference to discounts, just said the item was damaged. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

It is pretty clear that this is extortion and ebay will remove that feedback. There is no gray area here.  I had a similar situation where it was a threat of negative feedback and ebay removed the negative. Good Luck

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

He's a crook. A scam artist. He found out you were an easy mark for $100, so he's going after more. Never should have refunded him one cent. Sorry you're going through this.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

No that’s not really the case buyer never said item was damaged at all only in his feedback to me.He just thought he paid to much. He even emailed me once saying that he never opened the package (a few days after complaining about the price and that he was expecting to be in better condition for the price) It is all  in messages sent though eBay . Don’t they look at all that when they review a case ? 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

https://www.ebay.com/sellerhelp

Request to remove feedback

If the buyer clearly stated "give me money or I'll leave a neg"  it will be removed. That's feedback extortion.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

eBay buyer extortion

Customer received it and demanded,,

@royalcrownsales 

As you found out, caving into buyer demands, refunding money, etc. has nothing to due with the ability to have them leave a red donut.  You could have got the negative review and saved yourself a $100.  If you are into "price matching" and are such an easy mark, expect more of it.  Will take a look at what you have for sale. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply