cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay and Sales Tax - CA Requires Formal Document from eBay for Marketplace Sellers

I just spoke with someone at the CA Dept. of Tax and Fee Administration asking questions about eBay collecting CA Sales Tax beginning Oct. 1, 2019.  I was told eBay needed to send me a formal document stating they are collecting the CA sales tax for me and providing eBay's CA seller's permit number.  Without this I cannot file my CA sales tax return.  On Oct. 1, 2019 I am considered a marketplace seller and eBay is considered the retail seller.  eBay needs to send me this formal document.  They also need to update their information found on eBay Customer Service "Taxes and import charges" where the say sellers are responsible for collecting sales taxes.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: eBay and Sales Tax - CA Requires Formal Document from eBay for Marketplace Sellers

@somanypostcards 

Arizona is also requiring a document stating eBay is collecting the taxes.  I have a PDF copy of the document in my possession, but have no idea how to get it completed by eBay.

@Anonymous 

I believe @comics-scifi-collectibles  has already contacted you regarding this.  Any  update for those of us in states requiring documentation?

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

Re: eBay and Sales Tax - CA Requires Formal Document from eBay for Marketplace Sellers

Sounds like a bunch of public servants with not enough to do.

Bet they wouldn't reject remittances from ebay saying "oh we don't have a form for you".

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@somanypostcards 

Arizona is also requiring a document stating eBay is collecting the taxes.  I have a PDF copy of the document in my possession, but have no idea how to get it completed by eBay.

@Anonymous 

I believe @comics-scifi-collectibles  has already contacted you regarding this.  Any  update for those of us in states requiring documentation?

Hi @mcdougle4248, I don't have an update yet but will touch base with the tax team and share more info here as it becomes available, no problem!

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

Sounds like a bunch of public servants with not enough to do.

Bet they wouldn't reject remittances from ebay saying "oh we don't have a form for you".

Oh I am sure Arizona will not reject remittances from eBay.  Here is the kicker, if I do not have a completed copy of this particular form, I am responsible for the tax amount due.  

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

Me? I'd tell them "see you in court".
Message 6 of 47
latest reply

Me? I'd tell them "see you in court".

You are braver than I.  

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

Not brave, but not stupid either.

They don't get to dun me for taxes they claim haven't been paid when THEY are the ones who rushed to get their share of the new MF internet taxes.
Message 8 of 47
latest reply

Not brave, but not stupid either.

They don't get to dun me for taxes they claim haven't been paid when THEY are the ones who rushed to get their share of the new MF internet taxes.

@myjunqueyourtreasure 

I don't know if you will remember this, but about 15+ years ago the state of Washington went after some online sellers of cigarettes, demanding they give them the names and addresses of customers they served in the state of Washington.  Some caved and gave them the info they were after.  At the time I was a smoker [I quit several years ago, hurray!!!]. 

I got a letter in the mail from the Wash dept of revenue demanding I pay a couple hundred dollars in taxes they said I owed the state from my online purchases.  It was a pretty stern letter as I remember it.  I threw it away and I never heard from the state on the matter again.  I've always wondered how many people were really scared by that letter and sent the money to the state.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 47
latest reply

@mcdougle4248.   Have you called the state?    I emailed them that it was highly unlikely that eBay will be filing out these forms.  I haven't heard back.  I need to call them.  

For now I figured that printing the report from seller hub when I have an az sale should hopefully cover me.  

I don't have a resale permit or sell on any other site 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

@mcdougle4248.   Have you called the state?    I emailed them that it was highly unlikely that eBay will be filing out these forms.  I haven't heard back.  I need to call them.  

For now I figured that printing the report from seller hub when I have an az sale should hopefully cover me.  

Why would Ebay not issue the forms if they are required to do so?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 47
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

I also emailed them and heard nothing back.  I will try to give them a call.  

I do have a TPT and Business License and am required to file every month, so I have until Oct 20th to figure it out. 

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

eBay needs to send me this formal document. 

Do you have a California sales tax permit? Otherwise it is a moot point.

I'm in Nevada which eBay is also collecting sales tax for on Oct 1. A couple of weeks ago I got an email from eBay with the forms needed to register along with some "hand holding" just to make sure I got it right (I did).

You might want to go back and check your email's in box (maybe your spam folder? depending on high you have you filter set). 

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@somanypostcards 

@Anonymous 

Hi @mcdougle4248, I got an update from our Tax team on this; for all of the current states that require this kind of form, a public announcement by the Marketplace Facilitator (eBay) fulfills the requirement as well. This means that the public statement we've made in our Help Pages that we will be collecting and remitting sales tax on behalf of the seller for the relevant states fulfills the requirements that this form would fulfill, so a seller would not need to do anything else on their end. 

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@somanypostcards 

@Anonymous 

Hi @mcdougle4248, I got an update from our Tax team on this; for all of the current states that require this kind of form, a public announcement by the Marketplace Facilitator (eBay) fulfills the requirement as well. This means that the public statement we've made in our Help Pages that we will be collecting and remitting sales tax on behalf of the seller for the relevant states fulfills the requirements that this form would fulfill, so a seller would not need to do anything else on their end. 

Thank you for getting back with the update.  That is one less thing to worry about going into the weekend...time for a beers

Message 15 of 47
latest reply