cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay and Paypal separating

I just read the ordeal of Ebay and Paypal seperating. I hope these changes will offer us to use different payment methods once again. 

I liked excepting money orders and the such. Also the New Bitcoin is in place. 

What do you think will happen out of this change?

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: eBay and Paypal separating

gopetersen
Rockstar

I think it will be messy for a while. There are probably all sorts of agreements in place that aren't necessarily friendly to small sellers and there will undoubtedly be some unexpected and unintended consequences (things they didn't anticipate while doing the paperwork). Links between the two sites will have to be done differently.

But I'm really hoping eBay will put in a transparent merchant-card acceptance to make it easier for buyers to buy. Many don't have PayPal accounts and many don't want one.

Message 2 of 69
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

One statement of particular interest to sellers:

"What are the specific changes to the eBay User Agreement?

• Fees, holds, returns & cancellations, and Money Back Guarantee: Users now authorize eBay to instruct PayPal to make deductions from their PayPal account(s) for fees, returned items, items not as described, return shipping, cancellations (under our new cancellation policy), and Money Back Guarantee reimbursements. eBay will recommend, rather than request, when PayPal can restrict funds in a seller's PayPal account. We clarified language for holding seller funds, placing charges on a seller invoice and/or charging a payment method on file, and removing funds in a buyer's currency."

Message 3 of 69
latest reply

I ahve been selling on ebay for over 15 years we never had paypal. I take all major credit cards you can at any time opt out of paypal and open a merchant services account and pick 5 others ways to be paid one of them being taking all major credit cards.

Message 4 of 69
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

One statement of particular interest to sellers:

"What are the specific changes to the eBay User Agreement?

• Fees, holds, returns & cancellations, and Money Back Guarantee: Users now authorize eBay to instruct PayPal to make deductions from their PayPal account(s) for fees, returned items, items not as described, return shipping, cancellations (under our new cancellation policy), and Money Back Guarantee reimbursements. eBay will recommend, rather than request, when PayPal can restrict funds in a seller's PayPal account. We clarified language for holding seller funds, placing charges on a seller invoice and/or charging a payment method on file, and removing funds in a buyer's currency."

Interesting. I wonder if there will be instances where paypal denies eBay's "requests"  and under what circumstances ........

Message 5 of 69
latest reply

After the split, PayPal will be beholden to its shareholders and will make whatever decisions benefit PayPal.

How that will affect specific requests from eBay is hard to guess. They are splitting with certain "agreements" that PayPal and eBay will have to honor, probably for some period of years, but it's really difficult to guess what will happen on the detail level with transactions.

Message 6 of 69
latest reply

Sadly, you know the list of shareholders for each will be very similar. And sadly, they are joined at the hip for at least 6 more years, published.  Sadly, I don't foresee much changing at a small seller's level. I can't see paypal struggling near as much as ebay. Paypal is not mutually supported by ebay, whereas ebay's strongarm ways have been supported by their tie over paypal.  You may have to wait 6 years to see them truly separate, which may be as painful as it is today.

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 7 of 69
latest reply

Lucky, extremely lucky. You just haven't encountered a "buyer" that wishes to have your item for free, enabled by ebay's stronghold over paypal.  I hope your day never comes.

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 8 of 69
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

speech wrote: "This question is in response to no one in particular, and obviously this is not my main ebay ID, but I see many posters saying negative things about PayPal."

I've been using PayPal almost since they started, since before eBay bought them out. I've never had a bad experience either.

But that doesn't mean I want to be forced into accepting only PayPal as payment for the things I sell online.

The problem isn't PayPal or PayPal holds...

the problem is how eBay strongarms us into using PayPal even if the buyer might like to pay in some other way. I used to accept almost any kind of payment and I never had any problem with those either but eBay prohibited them and so we pretty much only have PayPal and two merchant gateways (with restrictions) rather than the dozen payment forms we took before.

With eBay and PayPal splitting, maybe (to keep afloat), eBay will have to be more open about accepting other forms of payment. Many buyers don't have PayPal and many don't want to use it.

Message 9 of 69
latest reply

@l756899 wrote:

I just read the ordeal of Ebay and Paypal seperating. I hope these changes will offer us to use different payment methods once again. 

I liked excepting money orders and the such. Also the New Bitcoin is in place. 

What do you think will happen out of this change? 

OP, 

I doubt eBay will ever go back to allowing cash or money orders. 

I think they like the visibility that online payments give them into who has paid / how much / when, and who has been refunded / how much / when. 

Unlucky

Message 10 of 69
latest reply

gopetersen wrote:.

The problem isn't PayPal or PayPal holds...

the problem is how eBay strongarms us into using PayPal even if the buyer might like to pay in some other way. I used to accept almost any kind of payment and I never had any problem with those either but eBay prohibited them and so we pretty much only have PayPal and two merchant gateways (with restrictions) rather than the dozen payment forms we took before.

^^^^^^

This.

I've been using Paypal since late 2000 or early 2001--over two years before I even heard of Ebay. Never had a problem ever. Sent and received thousands and thousands of payments over the years.

BUT

I LIKE getting paid with cash, money orders, checks and whatever else a buyer and I decide on. When I sell personally via email I'll even take Amazon gift codes, Walmart codes, I'll trade......whatever floats my boat at the time.

It kinda stinks to be stuck with only a couple of ways to get paid.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 11 of 69
latest reply

"I just read the ordeal of Ebay and Paypal seperating. "

Yes, it's been a rough breakup. I hear Ebay got the house and the cats. Paypal got the broken foosball table (remember that party? Man that was a blast) and the bills. He had to move into a studio apartment in the Burbank District - some little 3rd floor walkup . It's OK though,  he's paying off the Norteños to protect his ride since they only have on-street parking, and if he gets hungry he can just walk downstairs to the chinese restaurant. We talked last week. He thinks for now he's not in a rush to get back into a serious relationship. He says maybe he'll join a bowling league or see what's happening down at the city rec center, but not to worry he'll be ready to go club-hopping pretty soon. He just needs a little time to clear his head first.

I don't see much change - eBay already lets you use other payment gateways besides Paypal. And since the initial paypal hold for new sellers was to their benefit, I don't see them dropping it. I think if you take a snapshot of the discusson board today you will see the same complaints from the same people this time next year.

Message 12 of 69
latest reply

justjoe wrote: "Yes, it's been a rough breakup. I hear Ebay got the house and the cats. Paypal got the broken foosball table (remember that party? Man that was a blast) and the bills."

It's the other way around.

The debt got loaded from PayPal onto eBay... which makes sense since they believe the PayPal stocks have a better chance of flying on their own (which is why they broke up the two divisions in the first place).

Message 13 of 69
latest reply

I'm finally going to ask... why did they separate? If paypal was ebays cash cow, then I don't understand the split... is this something that the law required, not a voluntary thing...?? 

Message 14 of 69
latest reply

"The debt got loaded from PayPal onto eBay... which makes sense since they believe the PayPal stocks have a better chance of flying on their own (which is why they broke up the two divisions in the first place)."

You are 100% correct. I thought my buddy paypal's story didn't ring true, but when you're sitting on his futon, watching his pay-per-view and drinking his imported beer, you never question the bro.

Message 15 of 69
latest reply