cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay and PayPal's seller protection is a joke

kahuna-moon
Adventurer

Oct 1:  I received the standard EBay notice saying my item has sold and been paid for and I should ship it

Oct 3:  I shipped the item via Parcel Select (per buyer’s instructions) through the USPS at a cost of $41.25

Oct 10:  Item is delivered to buyer, buyer requests a return stating:  “I never ordered this item - I was only viewing it - not sure how it got ordered i will be declining it“. I declined the return because I don’t accept returns, I didn’t think the buyer would want to pay return shipping and EBay said I was within my rights to do so.  Also I don’t believe it is possible to buy something “by accident” on EBay; one must click the buy it now button and go through the checkout/payment process.  EBay closed the return case

Oct 22: Buyer opened a case with PayPal

Oct 30:  Package arrived back at my home marked “Refused, Return to sender” with $41.25 postage due.  I called PayPal to protest; the rep said we will refund half your return postage and this case will be closed in your favor in a day or 2.  I asked him to repeat that and he did so.

Oct 31:  I received the promised $21 credit for partial refund of return postage

Nov 2:  I received a notice from PayPal that the case has been decided in the buyer’s favor, she is getting a full refund and there is also a charge back fee of $20 levied against me.  I spent well over an hour on the phone with EBay and PayPal trying to get some redress for this grievance to no avail. 

I am out of pocket $81.50 (41.25 initial postage plus 41.25 return postage plus 20.00 chargeback fee less the 21.00 credit from PayPal for half the return postage) for something that was in no way my fault.  I complied with all EBay and PayPal rules and should be covered by EBay &/or PayPal seller protection.  I am the innocent party in this transaction. She must have done something to initiate this order whether she realized it or not.  Had I accepted the return through EBay I don’t think it would have changed anything given that she stated when requesting the return that she would be “declining” delivery for the item.  I believe this buyer to be in violation of EBay return policies but EBay declines to do anything about it.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

A MIRACLE HAS OCCURRED!  Paypal executive office called me and gave me a credit for the amount they refunded the customer:  Orig purchase price plus orig shipping.  Sometimes it pays to be a squeaky wheel.  I still can't believe it!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

" I believe this buyer to be in violation of EBay return policies but EBay declines to do anything about it."

--------

You said above that eBay closed the return request in your favor.

So this is a Paypal issue.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Had you accepted the return on eBay - the buyer would have been responsible for the return shipping and you would not have had to refund the original shipping. 

There isnt much you can do at this point.

Your issue is with Paypal though not eBay

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Right, but I don't think this buyer would have done anything differently.  She stated in her return request that she would decline the package.  I can't see that it would have changed anything.  There's no way she was going to pay for return shipping.  

I think the problem is that EBay and PayPal both have offered streamlined "one click" shopping and people don't realize they are buying something.  Shopping on phones with touch screen doesn't help.  

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

And now, every time you go to check out it asks you if you want to link it for the checkout. The only other option besides 'Yes' is 'Maybe later'. There is no option for 'Never ask me this stupid question again'.

Yet another gripe, complaint regarding ebay. Solvable? A solution?

Perkyourears & furrowthemeyebrows, because what is needed/required is a real live video recording transaction of the actual packaging, all the way from the opening and 360 tour of the product to the packaging &final 'Jackson Pollock' unimitatable scrawling or a one of a kind stamping/mark on the package to confirm that this is indeed the real deal packaging. Continuing at the post office, you will continue to record the actual weight, actual written shipping form + even the printed receipt. (in order to show all & any necessary proof)

If you are interested or intriqued and wish to have this as a common ebay selling policy, then it'd be wise to band together and raise awareness to ebay policymakers. Feel free to also improvise regarding the above prodcedure.

Thoughts and comments?

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

And now, every time you go to check out it asks you if you want to link it for the checkout. The only other option besides 'Yes' is 'Maybe later'. There is no option for 'Never ask me this stupid question again'.

I just close the box without answering.  I don't want it and I don't want to be asked later.  You can go on with check out after you do that.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@mindonfire wrote:

Yet another gripe, complaint regarding ebay. Solvable? A solution?

Perkyourears & furrowthemeyebrows, because what is needed/required is a real live video recording transaction of the actual packaging, all the way from the opening and 360 tour of the product to the packaging &final 'Jackson Pollock' unimitatable scrawling or a one of a kind stamping/mark on the package to confirm that this is indeed the real deal packaging. Continuing at the post office, you will continue to record the actual weight, actual written shipping form + even the printed receipt. (in order to show all & any necessary proof)

If you are interested or intriqued and wish to have this as a common ebay selling policy, then it'd be wise to band together and raise awareness to ebay policymakers. Feel free to also improvise regarding the above prodcedure.

Thoughts and comments?

Sorry but this has been suggested over and over.  Ebay does not accept it because there is no proof that what you are opening or packing to send it actually what was received or sent.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

I just close the box without answering.  I don't want it and I don't want to be asked later.  You can go on with check out after you do that.

Are you sure? Last time it came up inside the box itself - if I closed the box, it took me back to start over again. 

Maybe they fixed that upside_down. I'll have to remember to check the next time.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Actually, that is a cool third option you have there!  LOL

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@kahuna-moon wrote:

Right, but I don't think this buyer would have done anything differently.  She stated in her return request that she would decline the package.  I can't see that it would have changed anything.  There's no way she was going to pay for return shipping.  

I think the problem is that EBay and PayPal both have offered streamlined "one click" shopping and people don't realize they are buying something.  Shopping on phones with touch screen doesn't help.  

If they claimed "I never ordered this item - I was only viewing it - not sure how it got ordered i will be declining it“ that (Refusing the package) voids the eBay MBG, so there is nowhere for the buyer to go from there with eBay. With PayPal it sounds like they are saying they had an "unauthorized transaction" and I would have posted that eBay message in the PP case stating that. Being charged $20 for a chargeback fee just reinforces that this is a unauthorized transaction. Unauthorized transactions are covered by PayPal seller protection. You need to call PayPal and point them to their own "seller protection" policy (which is typically enforced, unlike eBay's seller protection). They should (if you do it right) remove that $20 chargeback fee and refund 100% of your money as you are protected against unauthorized transactions. BTW, this is an PayPal issue not an eBay issue.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I have talked to both EBay and PayPal several times.  EBay washes their hands of the whole matter, won't even refund me the seller fees!  I explained the whole thing to Pypal several times.  PayPal says "She returned the item".  Right, at my expense, both ways.  I have sent a letter to the CEO of Paypal.  Pissing in the wind, I'm sure. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

A MIRACLE HAS OCCURRED!  Paypal executive office called me and gave me a credit for the amount they refunded the customer:  Orig purchase price plus orig shipping.  Sometimes it pays to be a squeaky wheel.  I still can't believe it!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

That's good. If you make some noise about it, many times you can get them to do what they should have done in the beginning.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Are you sure? Last time it came up inside the box itself - if I closed the box, it took me back to start over again. 

Maybe they fixed that upside_down. I'll have to remember to check the next time.

The first few times that happened to me, but I think I (and possibly you as well) closed out the whole check out screen, instead of just the screen for the box with this question.  Once I just closed out that question box, then the whole check out page was available and I could proceed from there.  

Message 15 of 19
latest reply