cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay UK Goes Permanently Fee Free For Private Clothing Sellers April 8

In yet another step in eBay's recent strategy shift back to consumer-seller roots, starting April 8, private (non-business) sellers in the UK will no longer pay final value or regulatory fees on clothing sales.

How does free selling for pre-owned clothes work?
Selling pre-owned clothes on ebay.co.uk is now free for UK based private sellers, which means you’ll no longer have to pay transaction fees (final value fee and regulatory operating fee) when these items sell.

For clothes listings, private sellers will only incur fees for any of the following:

Optional listing upgrades
Sending items internationally
Using Promoted Listings to place advertisements

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/fashion-selling/ 

Interestingly, they are not limiting this by condition. Both new with tags or used condition qualify, as eBay defines pre-owned clothes as "items you no longer want or need in a variety of conditions, for example an outfit that no longer fits, an unwanted gift, or vintage fashion that needs a new home. These items can be new or used."

eBay is clearly responding to recent news from Mercair and Depop, subtly pointing out there are no selling or buying fees and no need to request a withdrawal that may incur additional fees.

ebayfeefree.jpg

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Another-Competitor-Makes-Some-Big-Changes/m-p/34373213/highlig...

But it seems to be more than just a reactionary move as I've been tracking eBay's increased C2C focus and initiatives since February and it appears to be a key component of Jamie's plans to try to meet the forecasts they've given to Wall Street to see a return to GMV growth by Q3 or Q4 this year.

I won't be surprised if they don't bring this to Australia as well, since they've also stepped up pre-loved fashion efforts there, and we may even see something similar in the US by the end of the year.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  @chapeau-noir  @simply-the-best-for-you  - thought you might find this interesting.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

Why is it they test the bad stuff out on the US but the good stuff the US is always the last to get it (IF they ever do).

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Why is it they test the bad stuff out on the US but the good stuff the US is always the last to get it (IF they ever do).

@toomuchstuffagain35 definitely understand the feeling.

However, as frustrating as it might be, I think it's smart (from a business perspective) for eBay to limit this by categories, private vs business and even countries like this because it limits their exposure and allows them to do it without having to pass the fee burden on to buyers like Mercari and Depop are doing.

I'm hopeful we may see some new initiatives geared toward C2C and/or small business sellers in the US this year too, but realistically I expect if so, they will also be similarly limited.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

Probably true lol

I don't even have a dog in this particular race as I wouldn't touch selling clothing & such on here with a 10 foot pole.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 47
latest reply

@valueaddedresource Thanks for the update! Not really unexpected, I suspect they've been planning this for a while, so I'd guess not just a hasty reaction to competitors recent fee-free initiatives. 

Of course, the UK , by law, has a difference between professional sellers and private sellers, and so drawing the line is easier there than here. 

It will certainly be interesting to see how this works out. I'm glad they did this before the Q1 report, because this suggests they will likely be talking about the new (or "evolved" strategy) , which might give us more insights into just where they are headed with the c to c emphasis.

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

They have to do something given how well it sells.

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Ugh - wrong post - sorry.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 47
latest reply

As one of those clothing sellers, I actually wish they would impose a listing fee and would gladly pay one to thin out the category a little on the US site - right now it's a clogged mess. But as mentioned above, the UK has a demarcation between personal and professional seller so it might be a worthwhile experiment. If they're looking to make up the shortfall in various promotional fees, etc., they may not find that happening, though.

I'm very interested to see what happens (along with Mercari's change). I actually may be selling from the UK soon.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 47
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

As one of those clothing sellers, I actually wish they would impose a listing fee and would gladly pay one to thin out the category a little on the US site - right now it's a clogged mess. But as mentioned above, the UK has a demarcation between personal and professional seller so it might be a worthwhile experiment. If they're looking to make up the shortfall in various promotional fees, etc., they may not find that happening, though.

I'm very interested to see what happens (along with Mercari's change). I actually may be selling from the UK soon.

@chapeau-noir I had a similar thought about the "clogged mess."

If clothing is already a very saturated category, this will likely make it even more so if more consumer sellers flood the category with tons of stuff from their closets.

While those sellers may or may not opt to pay promotional fees, I have a feeling that existing business sellers may find their ad spend creeping up just to try to retain visibility in an even more crowded market.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

What does that mean? 

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Hard to see why implementing such a policy in the US would be considered "good stuff".

I no longer sell here and never did sell clothing, but, to my uneducated eyes, doesn't this seem like flooding an already over-saturated market? 

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@valueaddedresource Thanks for the update! Not really unexpected, I suspect they've been planning this for a while, so I'd guess not just a hasty reaction to competitors recent fee-free initiatives. 

Of course, the UK , by law, has a difference between professional sellers and private sellers, and so drawing the line is easier there than here. 

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  you would think so but maybe not? Honestly I don't really know much about how the laws there on this work but from what I gather from reading the UK boards there are apparently still a lot of issues with people who should be classified as businesses selling as private.

I'm sure eBay will have to crack down eventually as the potential consequences of not doing so get more serious, but for now at least it seems legitimate business sellers in that category are concerned that eBay just handed their non-rule following competitors a big gift.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/No-Fees-for-selling-Clothing/m-p/7595402#M3109... 

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

from what I gather from reading the UK boards there are apparently still a lot of issues with people who should be classified as businesses selling as private.

Those sort of posts are bound to step up a few notches. As you say there's always been a problem with "private" sellers listing thousands of often new items. Taking advantage of the common offer of 80% off FVF's meant only for private sellers.

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

Thanks for posting that ... 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 15 of 47
latest reply