cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Removed Listing For An Empty Collectible Avon After Shave Bottle

I listed an empty Avon after shave bottle that is shaped like a 1964 Ford Mustang.  I thought it would be a cool collectible item that a Ford enthusiast might be interested in buying - even if it is empty.  

eBay removed it for violation of the Cosmetics policy.  

"Listings for used cosmetics, sponges, or applicators are not allowed."

IMG_5596.jpgIMG_5597.jpg

I do not think my empty Mustang after shave bottle fits this violation.  

Any thoughts of how to list this item to avoid violating eBay policy?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@pierangler wrote:

Any thoughts of how to list this item to avoid violating eBay policy?

What category was it in, and what was the exact title? Generally speaking, I would leave out of the title any mention of Avon or after shave, and list it in a Ford collectibles category as a 1964 Mustang glass replica, something like that. See if you can find others and how they were listed.

Be aware that as the listing has been yanked once, it's probably on the bots' radar, so if you do decide to relist it, you'll want to do so in a completely different manner, especially using a different category and very different listing title.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Did you specify in both the title and the description that the after shave bottle was empty? I have the same problem selling vintage fire extinguishers. Now I state in the title and the description, in upper case letters, that they’re **EMPTY** . If you decide to relist, you might also want to mention that the bottle has been thoroughly cleaned, inside and out.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@firefreak54 wrote:

Did you specify in both the title and the description that the after shave bottle was empty? I have the same problem selling vintage fire extinguishers. Now I state in the title and the description, in upper case letters, that they’re **EMPTY** . If you decide to relist, you might also want to mention that the bottle has been thoroughly cleaned, inside and out.

When I moved into a B&M store there was a fire inspection by the local FD. At the time I had (and in fact still have) an antique empty fire extinguisher. So when they asked if I had an extinguisher on site I (humorlessly I thought) pointed to the antique. They were not amused. (I did gave a modern one also)

But more to the point they said that just being empty was not sufficient. I had to have a certificate from a safety organization that it had been opened and cleaned of any residue before they would even let me have it on site even as a novelty display.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hilarious, except for your headache. The eBay knuckleheads are so busy policing Sellers items that do no harm and are not violations of anything, they do not have time to deal with seriously harmful fraudulent buyers and scammers. No wait, they have the time, they just don't care. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

What category was it listed in?

I list mine under Collectibles / Decorative Collectibles / Bottles

Have a great day
Message 6 of 6
latest reply