cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Promoted 60 Day Metazoo Presale?

So how does a 60 day presale even work? I was pretty sure the policy is very explicit about that guaranteed to ship within 30 days things. I guess having an eBay logo on the product makes it ok?

6,000+ sold in 4 hours all in violation of presale policy and of course now the scalpers are flipping them for 4X+....also in violation of the presale policy.

velvet@ebay  marlin@collectibles  has eBay just decided to completely do away with the 30 day presale policy?

2022-04-25_16-01-02.png

2022-04-25_14-27-17.png

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

They are in violation, but they just haven't been caught yet.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

They are in violation, but they just haven't been caught yet.

@nobody*s_perfect  they don't need to be caught, eBay partnered with them on this and is fully aware - to the point of eBay logos being featured on the product itself and sponsored content advertising "articles" being written with quotes from eBay's head of trading cards.

100% it's simply just eBay deciding the rules don't apply to them and this seller - which I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say eBay has every right to do, but that doesn't make it right.

https://www.denofgeek.com/culture/metazoo-partners-ebay-exclusive-launch/

On April 25 collectors can participate in a 60-day presale for a mini Wilderness booster box on eBay.com. Retailing at $50, each booster box will feature 10 packs and a special holographic box topper randomly chosen from a pool of 10, the first of their kind in MetaZoo. Additionally, both the mini booster box itself and each of the individual card packs included will feature eBay logos, making them highly collectable.

“At eBay, our biggest advantage is the depth of inventory on our marketplace, which is powered by millions of invaluable sellers,” said Bob Means, Director of Trading Cards at eBay. “We are thrilled to be partnering with MetaZoo, an innovator and leader in collectible card games, to continue bringing the latest releases and rare and hard to find to collectors and enthusiasts alike.”

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Preselling stuff like that is a disaster anyway. I have worked in the Collectible Card Industry for years and learned a few things.

Presales are a disaster. Either the price goes down and people start cancelling orders, the price goes up and then you leave money at the table. And in both cases you better hope your distributor doesn't let you down.

#2. Any game that gains popularity that it isn't Magic, Pokemon or Yugioh will always crash and burn in a few years, leaving distributors, retailers (and foolish investors), holding boxes of cards that have gone to almost no value. The game might continue past the crash at a much lower level, but any products in the chain already are toxic.

#3. People are only interested in Metazoo because they sponsored Creepy Rudy and got him to talk up the game. It will crash and burn worse than the average game does.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

@onefootflipper wrote:

Preselling stuff like that is a disaster anyway. I have worked in the Collectible Card Industry for years and learned a few things.

Presales are a disaster. Either the price goes down and people start cancelling orders, the price goes up and then you leave money at the table. And in both cases you better hope your distributor doesn't let you down.

#2. Any game that gains popularity that it isn't Magic, Pokemon or Yugioh will always crash and burn in a few years, leaving distributors, retailers (and foolish investors), holding boxes of cards that have gone to almost no value. The game might continue past the crash at a much lower level, but any products in the chain already are toxic.

#3. People are only interested in Metazoo because they sponsored Creepy Rudy and got him to talk up the game. It will crash and burn worse than the average game does.

@onefootflipper  exactly - and 2 months from now if/when the people who pay way over retail from the scalper listings don't get their stuff....eBay will be more than happy to tell them sorry, Money Back Guarantee doesn't apply.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

So how does a 60 day presale even work? I was pretty sure the policy is very explicit about that guaranteed to ship within 30 days things. I guess having an eBay logo on the product makes it ok?

6,000+ sold in 4 hours all in violation of presale policy and of course now the scalpers are flipping them for 4X+....also in violation of the presale policy.

velvet@ebay  marlin@collectibles  has eBay just decided to completely do away with the 30 day presale policy?

2022-04-25_16-01-02.png

2022-04-25_14-27-17.png

I don't believe this is a legit collab @valueaddedresource. I ran a search and see a few of these with one saying "This is a joke" in the description. I'll pass them on for a closer look by the relevant team. Thanks! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

I ran a search and see a few of these with one saying "This is a joke" in the description. 

Well, valid or not, it is a joke to me ... I prefer tangible items to collect. 🙂

velvet@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

2022-04-25_16-01-02.png

2022-04-25_14-27-17.png

I don't believe this is a legit collab @valueaddedresource. I ran a search and see a few of these with one saying "This is a joke" in the description. I'll pass them on for a closer look by the relevant team. Thanks! 

velvet@ebay  - go back and read the article I linked to.  The original listing was absolutely a legit collab with the brand again confirmed by eBay's logo being on the packaging and a quote from your head of trading cards, Bob Means. They sold out over 6,000 pieces in about 4 hours (happy to send you a PM with the listing number if you'd like.)

What you are seeing now (some that say it's a joke) are scalpers who theoretically grabbed one of the presales from that official listing (who knows if they actually did or not) and have now created their own violating policy presale listings at extreme mark ups.

So not only did eBay partner with, promote, and benefit from the *original* presale which should have never been allowed to happen, eBay is also now allowing the violations to compound exponentially by not shutting down resales of the presale.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Since it’s also been linked on eBay’s official Facebook page, I’d say it’s pretty legit.

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@nocoolnamejane wrote:

Since it’s also been linked on eBay’s official Facebook page, I’d say it’s pretty legit.

velvet@ebay  you can also check in with marlin@collectibles - he was sharing it on Twitter today too.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

So not only did eBay partner with, promote, and benefit from the *original* presale which should have never been allowed to happen, eBay is also now allowing the violations to compound exponentially by not shutting down resales of the presale

@valueaddedresource 

Didn't eBay do this a few months back as well?  Promoting a pre-sale on some other product that had a delivery date a month or so past the required shipping timeframe?  I think they cancelled the "promotion" and "advertising"  but let the listings stand if I recall correctly.  

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

So not only did eBay partner with, promote, and benefit from the *original* presale which should have never been allowed to happen, eBay is also now allowing the violations to compound exponentially by not shutting down resales of the presale

@valueaddedresource 

Didn't eBay do this a few months back as well?  Promoting a pre-sale on some other product that had a delivery date a month or so past the required shipping timeframe?  I think they cancelled the "promotion" and "advertising"  but let the listings stand if I recall correctly.  

@ittybitnot  - they've done several promotions like that, it's hard to keep track honestly.  Last year they did one with FunkoPop for Funkoween...not sure if that's what you are thinking of? They also regularly promote Pokemon and other card game presales too.

This one is even a step beyond those examples in my opinion because it is a straight up collaboration with eBay even having/allowing their logo to be put on both the box and the individual card packs, in order to make them "highly collectible".

That means this isn't just a case of marketing department gone wild or something....that degree of collaboration and partnership would require several levels of sign off, including from the legal department.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

And when eBay tells them "sorry, Money Back Guarantee doesn't apply", they can file a case with Paypal if that's how they paid, or do a chargeback on their credit card.  

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@valueaddedresource   Yes, I believe it was the 'Funkoween'.   Sorry, but I am an OLD(er than dirt) person and my interest in this sort of product on a scale of one to ten is about a minus 16.  I am truly interested in the protocols and rules etc. however related to selling and various nefarious activities.  Thank you for pointing it out.  

I was looking at the "estimated delivery date" on the screenshot you presented in your first screenshot.  Though I know that is related to YOUR location, it still says May 4 - June 8.  

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

And when eBay tells them "sorry, Money Back Guarantee doesn't apply", they can file a case with Paypal if that's how they paid, or do a chargeback on their credit card.  

@soh.maryl  yes they can and I would absolutely encourage them to - still doesn't make this ok in my opinion, but I do understand opinions may vary on that.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply