cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Managed Funds System is inconsistent, inconvenient and downright useless.

So in the good old days of PayPal our funds were immediately available 24/7

Now eBay has forced sellers to use their "Managed Funds" racket. It takes days to get paid and we have lost all control of our funds.

But here's the real kicker. Have you noticed that when a buyer purchases, the message from eBay is that "Your buyer has paid and it is time to ship the goods." Yet the funds that accrue, say over a weekend or now with a holiday weekend are "pending" for several days. That never happened with PayPal. If the funds were paid, they were available immediately.

So eBay, what are you doing with our money for those several days of "pending" that never happened with PayPal? Why does it take over a day for cleared funds to reach our bank accounts when I can Zelle funds to another account in seconds? PayPal was instant transfer for a small fee or a matter of hours for free.

And of course, with PayPal, we had control over what funds we left in place to cover contingencies, shipping etc. With this terrible eBay system, if there is some small contingency, even say 30 cents, and you don't have funds present, they will debit your bank account for 30 cents. That is NUTS!

My fellow sellers, it is time to rise up and scream at eBay to get it right. At least as smooth as it was with PayPal and not this slow, archaic system that also implies that eBay is playing OUR money on the short term money market. They say they are not, but "Your buyer has paid, ship now." and the money is still pending? Very suspicious and no coherent answer from any eBay consultant - if you can get hold of one any more.

We are stuck with this mess, but if enough of us speak up, they will have to fix it.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: eBay Managed Funds System is inconsistent, inconvenient and downright useless.

Nothing to speak up about?  Chargebacks?  Adyen on other sites do not do what's happening here.  

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Re: eBay Managed Funds System is inconsistent, inconvenient and downright useless.

@jayjaspersgarage wrote:

PayPal loaned us our payments while they waited for the payments to clear.  Last time I checked people with real jobs get paid once a week or less often.  I get a decent payout every Tuesday like clockwork.  No complaints here.

This is a real job, and takes a great deal more chutzpah than a lot of other 'real' jobs.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@buyologist-3 wrote:

Nothing to speak up about?  Chargebacks?  Adyen on other sites do not do what's happening here.  

I hear ya! Wait, I'm not hearing anything.

Are we confusing Adyen, which eBay and the other sites only use as a payments processor --

with eBay Managed Payments, which eBay runs by itself. i.e. Adyen [does] not do what's happening here [in MP].

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Wait...So you're ok with it?  Okaaaaaay.....

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Managed payments caused me to open another bank account as it would be a nightmare using my 30 year account and sort thru deposits ... Also now I have to cross reference my E Bay payment section with my bank account , double the work + time .. Deposits seem to be ok.. but time consuming .. My deposits show several items together + deductions in the same transaction so I need to sort it out , its a cluster overall !!!  E Bay is NOT going to make it better , we're screwed ! 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@darwen8 wrote:

Managed payments caused me to open another bank account as it would be a nightmare using my 30 year account and sort thru deposits ... Also now I have to cross reference my E Bay payment section with my bank account , double the work + time .. Deposits seem to be ok.. but time consuming .. My deposits show several items together + deductions in the same transaction so I need to sort it out , its a cluster overall !!!  E Bay is NOT going to make it better , we're screwed ! 

Download transaction reports from the Payments tab.  You can open it in excel.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

"Have you noticed that when a buyer purchases, the message from eBay is that "Your buyer has paid and it is time to ship the goods." "  It is not that different from what Ebay said when you got the payment in PP when that was our processor.  For some reason lots of sellers are holding Ebay to different standards than they did Ebay or that other platforms are held to.  It is really curious.

MP has ZERO control of your listing or when you ship.  There is NO requirement in MP to ship before your money can start processing as they do on all the other sites that have money processing systems.  Ebay and MP are simply telling you it is OK to ship now.  It is your HANDLING TIME on your listing the buyer purchased from that drives when you need to ship by, not MP.  Don't ship within your Handling time, then defects will follow.

"So eBay, what are you doing with our money for those several days of "pending" that never happened with PayPal? "  When funds are Pending, the literal money has not yet cleared the funding source.  So Ebay isn't doing anything with your money as they don't have it yet.

"With this terrible eBay system, if there is some small contingency, even say 30 cents, and you don't have funds present, they will debit your bank account for 30 cents. That is NUTS!"  Ebay sends sellers an email a few days BEFORE dipping into your checking account if your MP account is in a negative balance.  They wait to see if you get some Pending payments.  If you do get Pending payments that exceed the negative balance in your MP account, they will NOT look to your Checking account to fund the negative balance.  

And if you don't want them to ever dip into your checking account for anything, fill in the information on your Payout Settings to have a Back Up Funding Source.  I personally use my Visa.

When a buyer makes a payment and it is Pending in your MP account.  There is ZERO risk that the payment will not get processed.  A buyer has absolutely no ability to change, cancel or otherwise change a payment once they make it.  They can't do it in MP just as they were never able to do that in PayPal.  There simply is no difference.  Well except that it takes a bit longer to get to your checking account.  But the funds will come.  Which is why you have never seen any thread saying that any of these payments went south.

Don't get me wrong.  MP has PLENTY of room for improvement.  Ebay likely have their hands full onboarding 19 million sellers before year end.  They are 75-80% done worldwide and most US sellers are in MP now.  It is my opinion that next year we will see Ebay make some changes that all of us would like to see.  IDK what they will be or how quickly they will come, but MP will grow and get enhancements as time marches on.  For some it won't be fast enough for others that have learned to adapt they will remain.  

It's a personal choice to do what is best for you.  Stay or go.  Time well spent to learn about the system first before making a firm decision one way or the other.  But ultimately you must do what is best for you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Useless?  Without it you would not be able to get paid. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@darwen8 wrote:

Sellers hub>

hover on payments>

click on transactions>

locate a "payout">

click on it>

you will see the transactions that were included in that "payout", and as another post said you can download that report if desired.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@alfontso wrote:

So eBay, what are you doing with our money for those several days of "pending" that never happened with PayPal? Why does it take over a day for cleared funds to reach our bank accounts when I can Zelle funds to another account in seconds? PayPal was instant transfer for a small fee or a matter of hours for free.

eBay is waiting for the ACH system to transfer the funds into their bank account, and then you are waiting for the ACH system to transfer the money to your account. 

@alfontso wrote:

Yet the funds that accrue, say over a weekend or now with a holiday weekend are "pending" for several days. That never happened with PayPal. If the funds were paid, they were available immediately.

PayPal provides a balance account as an additional service, on top of processing payments. eBay does not. PayPal was nice enough to "lend" you the money upfront, by holding your other balances and your backup payment source as collateral.  eBay does not. Maybe that is why PayPal just raised their fees by 17+% last month. 

@alfontso wrote:

But here's the real kicker. Have you noticed that when a buyer purchases, the message from eBay is that "Your buyer has paid and it is time to ship the goods."

Yes. It's practically the same message they used to send when I got paid through PayPal:

ebp.jpg

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Paypal is a money processor.  Paypal created an account for its users.   The funds were not settled but Paypal gave us early access to those funds to use for purchases or to transfer to an attached bank account.  This is how Paypal was structured and we got used to it.

View Managed Payments as the "Transfer Money" option within Paypal.  It will take several days and the funds would not be available until the transfer completes.   

All payments received via Managed Payments will be transferred to your attached bank account.   When the transfer happens, is up to the individual seller.   There is a 1-2 day delay before a transfer is initiated to allow sellers to use these funds to pay for shipping labels.   So, even if you selected to have payouts done daily, the payout may not happen on the next business day.

eBay does not have an option for users to have a 'slush fund' for miscellaneous fees.   

Just as you want to get paid, eBay also wants to get paid for fees owed to them.   eBay will draw funds from a source you authorized.  

Your business model should anticipate funds being delayed.  

Good luck.

This is my posting user ID.
I have different user IDs for selling, buying and posting.
NOTE: Responders are eBay users like you that volunteer to help other users. We are not compensated by eBay.
Message 26 of 26
latest reply