cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay International and shipping Lithium ion Battery

I just sold a iPad to a buyer in Tanzania Africa and this is my first time shipping anything with batteries overseas.

Now I know that the iPad has a lithium battery in it, will that be a problem  (Customs) ?

I'm shipping with eBay Global Shipping program, Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay International and shipping Lithium ion Battery

Since you are utilizing the GSP, they should have also been the one that sent the invoice to the buyer, simply let them know the item will be getting shipped through the eBay Global Shipping Program and once payment has been received the shipping process will be initiated and the tracking information will be available to them through the eBay order. 

Sounds like the buyer may be fairly new to eBay and is not very familiar with the process. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Lithium batteries can only be shipped internationally if they are installed in the equipment they operate. Shipping carriers are not allowed to ship packages containing only lithium batteries or cells to international locations – they must be included inside a product, so you should be safe to ship. Below is the link to the USPS website for more info.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c6_004.htm#ep254913

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Ok Thanks for your help

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Ok the Buyer is now asking me for proof that I am going to ship, is this normal or are they trying to scam me?Capture.PNG

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Since you are utilizing the GSP, they should have also been the one that sent the invoice to the buyer, simply let them know the item will be getting shipped through the eBay Global Shipping Program and once payment has been received the shipping process will be initiated and the tracking information will be available to them through the eBay order. 

Sounds like the buyer may be fairly new to eBay and is not very familiar with the process. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ok thanks for your help, I was some what worryed that they were trying to scam me (I am probably just worrying to much) 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It is my understanding that you can ship an Item that has a lithium battery in it by air but there are regulations that make that hard for anyone but professionals. Here in the USA it is easier to ship ground than air. You need a warning label that says the item has a lithium battery in it to ship by ground. To ship by air it is my understanding that your supposed to have a registered emergency telephone number on the warning label and I'm not sure about this but I remember some conversations suggesting that the battery can not be charged past 70%. That might just be for lose batteries that are not in a device. I have received many an item without any warning label but I suggest if at all possible you take it to a post office and ask them. PS, To be legal the edge of the warning label has to be red. The hatch pattern has to be red.  Myself, I'm a little reluctant to ship. I have researched this for hours and have learned things bit by bit and I'm left with the impression that I may not now it all. Just what bit have I missed. Good luck.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Best of luck fighting an INR case with no tracking to Tanzania....

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

That's a nice thing about global shipping.  You are covered as long as ebay receives the item.  I sent a $1600 gold round some time back to Singapore.  They opened a case.  It took about a month, but ebay refunded them and payed me.  I found it annoying that they got a refund along with the coin, but at least I wasn't out other than some time. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply