cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between the european / .com platforms

Hi,

Would it be any better, when the target market is NA, to list on ebay.com vs ebay.fr ?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: difference between the european / .com platforms

You can list on any eBay site you want.

I list both here and on my home site, eBay Canada.

Pro dotCOM

• US dollars- everyone understands the US dollar and Americans understand nothing else
  • Largest number of views
  • Con dotCOM
    • You can only use Flat Rate Shipping.
    • Potential customers may be upset if you list in French- even if your listing is bilingual
    • Fees are slightly higher (based on dot CA vs dotCOM pricing)
  •  

Pro dotFR

• List in euros  ---but Search still shows US dollars to US buyers.
  • Shipping allows use of Calculated Shipping
  • You can list in French or English or both
  • Global Top Rated Seller is easier to get than the US equivalent.
  •  

Con dotFR

• Your listings will show as International below dotCOM listings
  • Potential customers may be upset if you list in English- even if your listing is bilingual

The big one to my mind is Shipping.

How much is tracked shipping from La Poste?

Americans expect tracking.

If you are comfortable using LetterRate shipping with no tracking, expect to answer a lot of panicked Messages from US buyers who expect next day (or at least next week) delivery. Most can be soothed. I put the date of shipment into the Feedback I leave on shipment.

Only use Air Mail services.

With a dotCOM listing you can only use Flat Rates.

Flat Rate Shipping will overcharge some customers and undercharge others. You can obscure this by using Free Shipping as your Flat Rate.

DON'T PANIC!

Free Shipping means your cost of shippiing is included in the asking price.

Which is cheaper : a $50 item with $25 shipping or a $75 item with Free Shipping?

What if shipping to Germany costs $10 and shipping to Australia costs $30?

Calculated Shipping on dotFR allows you to be more precise about what the German or Australian customer will pay.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@reallynicestamps quite an answer you have put together, kudos!

My main concern was advertisement visibility, not shipping rates, which have always been flat on my listings. Their "this week" delivery expectations needs to be addressed too, I guess.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Hello @cata-ro2014 

If you're a US citizen, you can't list on Ebay.fr or other European Union Ebay site since a couple of weeks, If you want to do it, you must have a French (or german or spanish... bank account) and you have to give Ebay your login and your password of your European bank account in Euro... New Ebay payment system...

I made a post about it: European users will disapear from Ebay due to new ... - The eBay Community

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Many Europeans have dual citizenship.

And I have EU working papers (or did, I was born in Scotland, which was part of the EU and may be again).

Message 5 of 5
latest reply