cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

business license/tax exemption renewal & ebay

Every 4  years I need to renew my state business license no issue with them or companies ever over the last 13 years. This year had to wait a day with Amazon but with  Ebay has been a nightmare. They have shifted everything where it is virtually impossible to find the correct form which I finally did with the help of a  guy & his link to it on reddit a couple days ago & also made the mistake of trying to call the help desk today which didn't help at all as it is not showing up & first time  & last time was working immediately. It's not like a new application of business or new to Ebay so really once again nit happy with  all the changes. Has anyone else been running into this? What else can I do to get it actually moving at the pace it should be  as it is set up now where we don't want to call customer help for anything

There's truth in lies and lies in truth, would I lie to you???
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: business license/tax exemption renewal & ebay

@rosegoldwitch wrote:

well, they must take  you more serious  than me  [seriously]. I  have  had a  store & business license  for it 13 years &  all I  needed to do was send in the latest picture to prove I still had it.  I  just managed to talk to someone in chat & they are really dragging their heels on these renewals.  He said they'd contact me  & now it takes a couple  of weeks to get it verified which means will talk my seller here to put up more on Amazon to get materials  there I need. I  am also gong to have to wait on an order from another seller so not happy with this at all. Like you, my status should have been good &  immediately put back into effect 

Let us find out what the actual rules are, since this isn't MP specific, who I tag should be able to help.

You will need to read the thread, luckily it is short.

tyler@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Your business license number doesn't change when you renew it, does it?  If it doesn't change, what is it that you need to update on Ebay?

From the tags you have on this post, it makes things a bit more confusing as your have unrelated tags.

Do you get a NEW Tax Exempt form?  If so, then that can be sent to Ebay but doesn't get logged into your set up.

Your Federal tax ID wouldn't or should change, so what is causing you to need to update that.

What is a state tax card?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

No, it just expires every 4 years. Usually no big deal all I have to do is send in a screenshot of my new license with current date still in business. This time the new setup in accounts is not user friendly. Couldn't find it. Guy on reddit had the link needed to get in as I  was  not alone in not finding it. Got in added screenshots, filled out what I had to & nada. It has been a good week now & still hasn't been updated

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Is this specific to your state or something? Because I never had to do anything like what you described. In California the only thing I have to renew with my business is my LLC every year $800 and a statement of information every two years $20.

I never had to update anything to eBay. I just pay those fees to the government and it’s done and done.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Is this specific to your state or something? Because I never had to do anything like what you described. In California the only thing I have to renew with my business is my LLC every year $800 and a statement of information every two years $20.

I never had to update anything to eBay. I just pay those fees to the government and it’s done and done.

Same here in TN, or actually a bit less.  I filed for my business license/sales tax ID once, then simply filed the paperwork each year to remit the tax collected.  The business license was 'renewed', I assume, when I filed my business inventory tax forms (TN has no state income tax, so they find other methods and then crank up the rates), which always meant paying the minimum flat rate since my business had no inventory -- consignment sales means my client was paying the inventory tax on -their- inventory, I was just storing it for them until the time I bought it from them (for a percentage of my selling price) to ship to my customer.  It was never my inventory, and the 'inventory' used to run my office was not taxed (computer, printer, etc).

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

this wasn't meant to be clicked. I have used my license for quite a few stores & never ran into this. All I had to do [& same with Amazon is show proof of a renewal to be able to continue. They have it set up where you can talk to noone that can actually help. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

well, they must take  you more serious  than me  [seriously]. I  have  had a  store & business license  for it 13 years &  all I  needed to do was send in the latest picture to prove I still had it.  I  just managed to talk to someone in chat & they are really dragging their heels on these renewals.  He said they'd contact me  & now it takes a couple  of weeks to get it verified which means will talk my seller here to put up more on Amazon to get materials  there I need. I  am also gong to have to wait on an order from another seller so not happy with this at all. Like you, my status should have been good &  immediately put back into effect 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@rosegoldwitch wrote:

Let us find out what the actual rules are, since this isn't MP specific, who I tag should be able to help.

tyler@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

well from now on am  using chat to contact ebay. Received an email from the correct department that processed the new turn in & was told when it gets close to time to click the link I had been given & then send a picture of renewed business license. I now am back to normal with the tax thing here like everywhere again.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@rosegoldwitch wrote:

tyler@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

@mam98031 It sounds like there was probably a back up. Typical turnaround time for tax exemption on buying, is three to five business days. It's unfortunate if there was a delay but we're happy to hear this has all been sorted for them per their follow-up post. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Wait a minute. It seems I totally misunderstood the topic of this post. Sellers can file (with a business license) to buy from ebay tax free?

Where do I sign up????

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Wait a minute. It seems I totally misunderstood the topic of this post. Sellers can file (with a business license) to buy from ebay tax free?

Where do I sign up????

I agree, OP stated about renewing business license with ebay. That has nothing to do with filing tax exempt status so they can buy stuff here tax free. Should of course be a reseller to do so and not for personal use. One would upload resale certificate for tax exempt status, not business license, they are 2 different things, so if thats what OP was referring to their post is confusing. If ebay is accepting a business license for tax exemption its pretty odd and wrongful. A business license could be old without an expiration date with the submitter actually out of business, while resale certificates are valid for 1 year with annual renewal. This is the reason there are both.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@rosegoldwitch wrote:

tyler@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

@mam98031 It sounds like there was probably a back up. Typical turnaround time for tax exemption on buying, is three to five business days. It's unfortunate if there was a delay but we're happy to hear this has all been sorted for them per their follow-up post. Thanks!

velvet@ebay 

They were talking about their Business License.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@rosegoldwitch wrote:

well from now on am  using chat to contact ebay. Received an email from the correct department that processed the new turn in & was told when it gets close to time to click the link I had been given & then send a picture of renewed business license. I now am back to normal with the tax thing here like everywhere again.

I've been actively seeking out the Chat option over calling or email - it just seems to work better, I get the best of a phone call & email.  I can focus on saying what I want to say and not get the words mixed up, and I don't get nearly as flustered and lose track of what I'm wanting.  AND I get a transcript of the conversation!  And no issues with my tinnitus (VOIP calls really don't work for me) or with accents I can't always follow (I still haven't gotten the full handle of Southern... MN was so much easier!).

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Where do I sign up????

I believe it requires you to register your tax exemption certification from your state's taxing authority and the item be eligible for the exemption under your state's regulations.  I don't believe that merely having an occupational license suffices.  You must be registered in your state to collect sales tax, in most states, to be able to claim an exemption on items purchased for resale.  Of course, you would still have to pay the sales tax yourself on items used by you in most cases. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 15 of 16
latest reply