cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone get a call and email from ebay about a private rep for 6 weeks to help?

so i got a email from a eBay saying this is so and so your profile came across my desk, reason was my account showed significant growth and qualified for some private assistance by a performance rep. I kind of blew it off and then got another email. kind of thought it was a scam at first but was not and I will explain soon. so the following day i got a call and on the caller id it said eBay and a full name. the name was of the rep that emailed me. so i talked to him. told him i get calls all the time asking for about student load, even though i never went to college or have a student loan. then another about my car warranty and I buy older used cars and never bought a warranty.  I was like what was the fee i received on a certain item and asked what a message read in my messages. cause he claimed he had access to visual see my entire account. not sure how I feel about that.  anyway he did not ask for any info.  i talked and he said if i agreed they would put a 2 week work order or something like that on my account and it will tell me my strengths and weakness.  

now its been 2 weeks he called back as said he would at the time he said he would. went over my average amount of characters i use and some statistics. i mentioned to him, you want to help me out lower the fees i paid them almost 20 grand in fees last year.  he told me they dont change final value percentages until you are doing 20 mill or more a year. WHAT. he actually told me that first call. so i brought it up again, which leads me to the next thing he brought up. Promoted listings. i just recently did a post on that asking for answers that cant be answered. he wanted me to do all my buy it now item at a 7% promoted listing setting. i told him i use promoted listing and use a lower percentage. so this went from  a help call to a promoted listing encouragement. maybe a better word for it.  I told him i will try promoted listings if he can explain to me, he could not tell me what 2% got and what 8% with get me that 2% doe not. see my community post on that topic. he said he could not answer. but he did say that if you list you item as new and ad it to the title the listing would bring it further down cause of double advertising as new. figured id mention that. but he said what makes the promoted listing work is all based on seller status top rated or not, words in tittle, cost, all the stupid statistics that they show up in the traffic report.  so those statistics determine how far up the list your item will go. but also somehow the % we pay contributes but with no reason at all. 

all in all from my experience from this its basically a guy that's main goal is to get you to promote your listings and pay more yes it works. so you need to determine the extra sales make up for the percentage. you can see that in the  traffic report. up to you to figure out how to do that. its simple but complicated. use the statistics and do tests to see what works for you, i promoted my casual items only at 1% and i am getting double the page views i was before and half my sales this weekend were via promoted. ill keep at the 1% and i already get overwhelmed with shipments and its just me, i am selling good amount and living good. eBay full time so this works for me as it is.  

did anyone else get calls or emails like this. did you feel that same way i would like to hear others story's

please dont make this post a post on how anything works its what happened to you and any info on that.  I already got enough mixed info on promoted listing on last post. ee

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@incrediblefinds199 wrote:

so i got a email from a eBay saying this is so and so your profile came across my desk, reason was my account showed significant growth and qualified for some private assistance by a performance rep. I kind of blew it off and then got another email. kind of thought it was a scam at first but was not and I will explain soon. so the following day i got a call and on the caller id it said eBay and a full name. the name was of the rep that emailed me. so i talked to him. told him i get calls all the time asking for about student load, even though i never went to college or have a student loan. then another about my car warranty and I buy older used cars and never bought a warranty.  I was like what was the fee i received on a certain item and asked what a message read in my messages. cause he claimed he had access to visual see my entire account. not sure how I feel about that.  anyway he did not ask for any info.  i talked and he said if i agreed they would put a 2 week work order or something like that on my account and it will tell me my strengths and weakness.  

now its been 2 weeks he called back as said he would at the time he said he would. went over my average amount of characters i use and some statistics. i mentioned to him, you want to help me out lower the fees i paid them almost 20 grand in fees last year.  he told me they dont change final value percentages until you are doing 20 mill or more a year. WHAT. he actually told me that first call. so i brought it up again, which leads me to the next thing he brought up. Promoted listings. i just recently did a post on that asking for answers that cant be answered. he wanted me to do all my buy it now item at a 7% promoted listing setting. i told him i use promoted listing and use a lower percentage. so this went from  a help call to a promoted listing encouragement. maybe a better word for it.  I told him i will try promoted listings if he can explain to me, he could not tell me what 2% got and what 8% with get me that 2% doe not. see my community post on that topic. he said he could not answer. but he did say that if you list you item as new and ad it to the title the listing would bring it further down cause of double advertising as new. figured id mention that. but he said what makes the promoted listing work is all based on seller status top rated or not, words in tittle, cost, all the stupid statistics that they show up in the traffic report.  so those statistics determine how far up the list your item will go. but also somehow the % we pay contributes but with no reason at all. 

all in all from my experience from this its basically a guy that's main goal is to get you to promote your listings and pay more yes it works. so you need to determine the extra sales make up for the percentage. you can see that in the  traffic report. up to you to figure out how to do that. its simple but complicated. use the statistics and do tests to see what works for you, i promoted my casual items only at 1% and i am getting double the page views i was before and half my sales this weekend were via promoted. ill keep at the 1% and i already get overwhelmed with shipments and its just me, i am selling good amount and living good. eBay full time so this works for me as it is.  

did anyone else get calls or emails like this. did you feel that same way i would like to hear others story's

please dont make this post a post on how anything works its what happened to you and any info on that.  I already got enough mixed info on promoted listing on last post. ee

If you go to the bottom of this page you can safely block those eBay Marketing calls.

It doesn't block important information from eBay that you need, just the how can we

talk you into giving us more money Marketing.

Communication Preferences

https://commspreferences.ebay.com/commsprefs 

22.jpg

23.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You didn't get mixed info on your other thread.  You got solid info, that you asked for.   Then subsequently questioned & then never came back to answer when I asked for your specific questions, since I & others had already answered them.  

As for this question.  Yes, I've heard of sellers getting calls like this.   Yes, they are usually just cursory listing or store reviews.  Yes, it's true that for SEO you're not supposed to also put NEW in the title.   I personally disregard that b/c although SEO is super important, it's not everything & I know my buyers also read.   Yes, some sellers have 'private reps', but that's usually a the Anchor store level.  

ETA:  They almost always usually advise you to have 1 day handling & take returns.  It's all pretty rote. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Why would you need help if you have significant growth? That tells me you don't  need anyone to help you.

BTW anyone can get a program that allows you to put anything in the caller ID.  I got a cold call from the IRS I knew was a trick. And a call  from the sheriff's office in my county wanting donations I knew was a lie because my mother was a deputy and Tom Petty's cousin Sadie was the sheriff and I called and asked her was it true. It was a scam.  Right after that on local news they said beware of that scam.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@fab_finds4u  Except Ebay really does still do this though & it was clearly NOT a scam.  It's the old "store review".   OP is nowhere near the level where one gets a 'private rep', nor does he sell the type of items where that's more common.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

i never said i had a private rep, i got a call from a performance rep that's working with me for 6 weeks privately. but anyone that pays for that last two store subscriptions, that comes with a private rep. i sell over 20k every month on this account alone i did almost 3 grand just over the weekend.   my friend sells on ebay he has 20k followers and sells the same stuff and has a private rep he does the 2nd highest store sub. 

as far as you mentioning the other post, NO ONE ANSWERED the question you all just repeated what it says on the site or just opinion, all i was looking for was clarification on the % and no one did, people can say they do but i need facts to back it up, what does 10% get you that 2% does not. that's still not answer and never will be as there is no answer that eBay will share. i apologize if you are not happy. 

also the line where poster writes ''Why would you need help if you have significant growth? That tells me you don't  need anyone to help you." that does not tell anyone that, there is always room for growth and performance in all factors of life.  they see that i am bringing some good money and that means they want to work with me so i keep it coming in, they want to keep me happy. But they also want me to use promoted listing which would increase there profit greatly/ they are not going to pay people to reach out to sellers that do low sales and low growth. those types of sellers are recreational sellers most of the time. they are reaching out to people that are making them money and only to make them more money, and as them i am referring to eBay. 

as far is it being a scam, if it was a scam they would be fishing for my email passwords user name address, he wanted none of that, and i asked him a series of questions like how many search impressions does it show for a certain time period. he got it all and still never asked for any info. he just gave me advice. solid advice and good advice, ultimately its a gimmick to get me to promote my items as i am doing large numbers if they can get another 7% out of me that's a huge amount of money end of year. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

You referenced a private rep in the title.  

I answered your question several times in the other thread.   If you choose not to believe me, that's your issue.   As I told you in the other thread, that you abandoned.   No one knows b/c Ebay will not tell us!  I looked into it extensively at the beginning of PL's b/c I asked the same questions as you...what EXACTLY am I getting for my money.   THEY WILL NOT DISCLOSE THAT INFO.  That is the answer & I already gave it to you twice before.  That IS in fact the answer.   Several of us tried extensively to get an answer several years ago when PL's first came out.  You wanna make yourself crazy getting details they won't release, have at it.  Please post when you find out LOL.  While you're at, can you get the algorithm for Cassini?  That would help many of us! 

You are correct, the call was clearly not a scam, it's an ancient program they have called 'store review' where a CSR 'reaches out' to you & basically tries to sell you to use their Best Practices for listing & whatever new thing they are pushing at the time...anyone remember "Collections", lol?  The program is many years old. 

As I also stated, I decided to give it a try anyway & now 70% of my sales are from PL's.  YMMV.   At that time, Ebay had a promo where you got a credit each quarter for trying PL's, so it was more or less 'free' to try.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

You referenced a private rep in the title.  

I answered your question several times in the other thread.   If you choose not to believe me, that's your issue.   As I told you in the other thread, that you abandoned.   No one knows b/c Ebay will not tell us!  I looked into it extensively at the beginning of PL's b/c I asked the same questions as you...what EXACTLY am I getting for my money.   THEY WILL NOT DISCLOSE THAT INFO.  That is the answer & I already gave it to you twice before.  That IS in fact the answer.   Several of us tried extensively to get an answer several years ago when PL's first came out.  You wanna make yourself crazy getting details they won't release, have at it.  Please post when you find out LOL.  While you're at, can you get the algorithm for Cassini?  That would help many of us! 

You are correct, the call was clearly not a scam, it's an ancient program they have called 'store review' where a CSR 'reaches out' to you & basically tries to sell you to use their Best Practices for listing & whatever new thing they are pushing at the time...anyone remember "Collections", lol?  The program is many years old. 

As I also stated, I decided to give it a try anyway & now 70% of my sales are from PL's.  YMMV.   At that time, Ebay had a promo where you got a credit each quarter for trying PL's, so it was more or less 'free' to try.  

That is how we got started with PLs as well.  And you are correct, about 75% +/- each month, we do promote and it "typically" does result in the sales we want.  Am concerned about that come 6/1 and the change in the fee structure, but for now, it is working well for us.

We have received emails (not recent) about something similar - they called it a "tune-up" of some sort and give us a call to chat about your account.  Only did it once - they wanted me to change all listings to FREE shipping and FREE returns.  Great, they said.  Yes, it is "great" - for the Buyer.  Not so much for the Seller, especially on heavy items, etc.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thanks @katzrul15 he doesn't want to believe me & thinks it's just my "opinion", when in reality, I can't tell you how much research I did to try & get the exact answer he's asking.  Unfortunately, it's the same as the Cassini Algorithm, they aren't willing to say 1 word  & that is not my "opinion".   But hey, like I said, he can knock himself out & then prove us all wrong by posting the 'real answer' when he gets it LOL. 

ETA:  BTW,  I totally agree with him that there s/b published info that spells out exactly what you will get, for what rate, which is why I looked into it so extensively.  I never would have tried it if it hadn't been for 1 particular poster who pushed me with 'what have you got to lose' &  it was a huge game changer for me.  Doesn't mean OP's experience would be the same.  It works the best with highly saturated categories. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

BELEIVE WHAT? NEVER WOUDL HAVE WHAT? WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE. I DONT DISBELIEVE ANYTHING. THERE ARE NO FACTS TO BELIEVE. YOU DID NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION AND YOU HAVE SOME KINDA FASINATION ON REPONDING TO MY STUFF YOU ARE TAKING IT PERSONAL.  YOUR EVEN BRINGING BLAH BLAH BLAH FROM MY OTHER POST TO THIS ONE. 

I DO NOT HAVE A PRIVATE REP I HAVEA REP THATS WORKING WITH ME IN PRIVATE. FOR 6 WEEKS. 

GOSH I USE PROMOTED LISTING I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE PERCENTAGE BENIFIT IS. 

A PRIVATE REP IS SOMEONE THAT WORKS FOR YOU ALL YEAR ALL THE TIME FROM EBAY. TYPICALLY ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE EITHER THE TOP TWO TIERS OF THE EBAY STORE.  YOU ARE READING STUFF AND INTERPERATING TO SUIT YOUR FUSTRATION. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

also not looking for anymore sales i was simply stating that the end goal of this rep is promoted listings. I can barely keep up with my sales now. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

If you go to the bottom of this page you can safely block those eBay Marketing calls.

It doesn't block important information from eBay that you need, just the how can we

talk you into giving us more money Marketing.

Communication Preferences

https://commspreferences.ebay.com/commsprefs 

22.jpg

23.jpg

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

thats awesome cause like literally 1 min ago and its like 730 where i am i just got a call from a Brian block from eBay. I told him i already  spoke to someone and working with them and he just said sorry. i really like to avoid these calls. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

thats awesome cause like literally 1 min ago and its like 730 where i am i just got a call from a Brian block from eBay. I told him i already  spoke to someone and working with them and he just said sorry. i really like to avoid these calls. 

You might get a few more call before the setting goes into effect.

Just ignore them and they will stop.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

thanks for the solid info, this post was turning into something it should have not. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply