cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your offer price is too large error?

I've never had this issue before so thought I'd ask here. I have a DVD set listed for $98.99. I had a customer contact me stating he'd like for me to send him an offer of $96 and he would buy it. He said it wouldn't let him. I then tried it but got an error saying "Your offer price is too large." Does eBay require a certain percentage off of the listed price before it will let you? I just found it odd. I've sold thousands of items and this is the first time I've seen this. I just lowered the amount on my listing to what he wanted so he could just purchase it. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay feels lowball offers from sellers make their site look cheap. Buyer definitely expect more than a peanut offer of 5% off.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Under $200 the minimum discount is 5%

Your offer would have to be $94.04 or less

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Yes, there is a minimum below the asking price, I think about 5%.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@m60driver wrote:

Yes, there is a minimum below the asking price, I think about 5%.

It's tiered

<200 5%

200-<1000 3%

>= 1000 2%

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@discodecadencetoys wrote:

I just lowered the amount on my listing to what he wanted so he could just purchase it. 

To me this is always the more preferable route.

It gives the buyer an incentive to purchase quickly before someone else swoops in.

As opposed to putting your offer "in his pocket" and shopping around for a better deal.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@luckythewinner wrote:

@discodecadencetoys wrote:

I just lowered the amount on my listing to what he wanted so he could just purchase it. 

To me this is always the more preferable route.

It gives the buyer an incentive to purchase quickly before someone else swoops in.

As opposed to putting your offer "in his pocket" and shopping around for a better deal.

I've found that catering to buyers like this ends up in 0% of the items actually selling. Waste of time.

I wouldn't be surprised if this goes unsold at the requested price. Many buyers are all talk. Hope not the case for you.

I find it difficult to believe that a serious buyer would risk saving $3 vs losing the listing to someone else.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

When you "send offer" requires minimum discount of 5%.    You could just change price to $96 and your customer can purchase it that way.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

OMG, ebay! This is so ridiculous. If the buyer and seller agree, what's the problem? I'll just let the buyer know I'm changing it to a Buy It Now at their asking price. Sheesh! Why does ebay always have to make things so difficult? Too many rules and regulations at every turn to get anything accomplished.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Ebay feels lowball offers from sellers make their site look cheap. Buyer definitely expect more than a peanut offer of 5% off.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I am getting this error lately on a lot of offers. Customer is asking for a discount on a $498 item and I offer $430 which is almost 15% off. Still keep getting this stupid error... Called ebay and they opened ticket, but that was 3 weeks ago...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@pbmexpressusa wrote:

I am getting this error lately on a lot of offers. Customer is asking for a discount on a $498 item and I offer $430 which is almost 15% off. Still keep getting this stupid error...

Do you have any other discount currently applied to that listing (either specific to it or as part of a group)? If so I think there is some interaction there that would prevent you from hanging another discount on it.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

No other discounts...

Message 12 of 12
latest reply