cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can't sell on eBay if you don't own a cell phone!

On October 26th I got an update from eBay asking me to update my seller information, specifically my email and telephone number. They have not changed in the 17 years that I've sold on this platform so I verified them and the screen said DONE. No problem right? WRONG

The next day I got a nasty ACTION NEEDED message that stated:

We recently asked you to review and update some details on your eBay account. Looks like you haven't made any updates yet. Your payouts will be on hold until you fix this. Please do this by 2023-01-24 to get your account back in good standing.

I called in and was told that I was fine, it just might take time for the system to verify things since they were sending the message out to many sellers.  Each day I had a nasty pink banner telling me to update my information and on November 4th I got the threatening message again. I called in, got routed through 3 people into Europe somewhere and was told that I was fine. This time I made one of them actually send me a message in eBay verifying that fact:

Thank you so much for reaching out to us for the account information inquiry, you needn't worry about any update to the information since it is currently undergoing said verification with no issues at all.
The payouts are active and eligible to be sent to the bank account on file.

Problem solved, right? WRONG!

The daily pink messages kept coming and the threatening ACTION NEEDED message came again this afternoon. Another phone call and another routing to Europe, to the UK this time. A very nice young lady put up with my by this time very angry response to this continued threat to not pay me what I had earned.

We went through everything step by step and I found to my horror that since my phone number was a landline they could not verify it by sending a text message to it. I literally had to change my primary number to my wife's cell phone number in order to get my information verified. And even that was not good enough at first because they sent a verification code to my email address which when I put it in was not enough for the system to verify me. Only when they sent a second verification code to my wife's cell phone was I able to be verified and hopefully off the pink threat list!

Which leads to the following questions:

1. Why did it take 3 weeks and 6 phone calls for someone to tell me that I needed text capability in order to continue to sell on eBay?

2. Is that even legal? Since a larger proportion of older adults in the US may not have text capability like yours truly (maybe I'll change my screen name to Dinosaur1 or something) is that not age discrimination?

3.  Why is this second layer of verification so important? Even the patient lady said that I could request a call back from eBay on my landline if I needed it and that it was more necessary in Europe than in the US to have this type of verification.

4. Why does Ebay continue to make simple things hard? Instead of sending threatening emails couldn't they simply have sent one saying they needed to be able to send me a text in order to verify my account information?

5. Am I the only dinosaur left or is anyone else in this predicament? If you are getting these messages and don't know how to deal with them you simply need to find someone with a cell phone to help you out.

All this angst because I was perfectly happy using the same phone number since 1987 and not thinking that the world has a right to track my every move through a cell phone!

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

Re: You can't sell on eBay if you don't own a cell phone!

We have cell phones AND a landline.

We use the landline exclusively to mess with telemarketers.

Message 76 of 134
latest reply

Before Cell phones land lines were used as two factor identification.  Instead of a TEXT MESSAGE you would get a phone call with the PIN Number.  You enter the PIN Number into your online account and you then had access to your account.  My Bank still has this as a option for verification.

Message 77 of 134
latest reply

I'm of the vintage set (DOS and Timex Sinclair), and resisted smartphones for a long while....

I use mine as a handy calculator, alarm clock, internet browser, GPS, camera, pc, portable hard drive, notepad, and TV remote.  I would like to turn on or off things around the house eventually.

As I grow with it, I will probably find more things it can replace.  A single device that can do a lot more than just make calls and text.

I have to replace some appliances and will be checking out what I can do with them as well...🤔

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 78 of 134
latest reply

Have not see a TV Remote for a phone.  That could be very handy.

Message 79 of 134
latest reply

I have a Roku TV, and there's an app for that!  I only found out after I misplaced the remote.   😁

I assume other makers of Smart TVs+ have the same thing.   And with Alexa, I can buy other connecting devices that hook up lighting, thermostat, smart appliances, etc.  Still exploring what I need and what I want.

I may never have to leave my recliner again, except to get another Latte.  (j/k!)

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 80 of 134
latest reply

@paytonrules2003 wrote:

I think that I need a way for people to get in contact with me. One way is via email, another is via phone. I just never dreamed that some corporation could dictate to me which type of phone I had to have!

Ebay does not require you to have a mobile phone.

They may require you to have a mobile phone IF YOU WISH TO SELL ON THEIR WEBSITE.

Like someone else said, the percentage of people who use a computer to sell on ebay yet don't have a mobile phone i'm sure is very very very minute.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 81 of 134
latest reply

Love It!

The Best Thing To Do Now Is Stay Calm!
Message 82 of 134
latest reply

There are computer based apps that provide SMS texting. Some are free, some provide the service at a nominal charge. Basically, you get a phone number that sends and receives text messages using your computer instead of a phone. These apps come in handy if a person doesn't want their actual number used or if they don't have a cell. Just have to make sure it is a service that provides SMS (VOIP services don't receive most verification texts, which are usually in the SMS format). A quick Google search pulls up various options.

Message 83 of 134
latest reply

Not true. Google voice receives calls and text. Yet, the CSR said they will not allow Google numbers or computer generated phone numbers. My Google Voice number is the number I've used for over 12 years; it's the number the original text verification was sent to. They should be concerned with persistency and accept that a long term user with the same phone number that can receive texts is verified and not require an additional phone source. They're just doing it because they "WANT" to know "additional" things and have "additional" information on file. Information that gives more and more private details about the consumer - and yes, a seller on eBay is a consumer, they are using a service that eBay provides. eBay just wants to be ***** because they can, there really is no other reason for the problem they have created. Some people as the thread shows do not have cell phones and shouldn't be required to have one just to make eBay happy, some people live in areas where our reception is zilch - not everyone lives in cities or larger areas, though cell towers are getting better, and some of us have a right to a level of privacy after a bad life experience. If people want to give their cell number it should be their choice, it shouldn't matter if they actually have a cell or not, there are more ways for verification.

Message 84 of 134
latest reply

@vixen_view_treasures 

While I pretty much agree with your points on eBay's requirement regarding cell numbers to sell on the platform, the type of apps I mentioned above do exist and are not the same as Google Voice, which piggybacks on an existing phone number.  Apps like TextNow and TextFree provide users with actual unique phone numbers that can receive sms verifications and place/receive phone calls (users have to pay for voice services). The numbers are not computer generated, but working phone numbers (Google Voice is a VOIP service, voice over internet protocol, which, as I mentioned, will not work for verification purposes). 

Message 85 of 134
latest reply

5G

Message 86 of 134
latest reply

I am wondering about these numbers which sound like a reasonable work-around for the consumer more than eBay. So, even though I have a VERIFIED Google number (it actually shows as verified below the number that has existed in my account for years), eBay is requiring a change and would rather have a "fake" number like you have mentioned than have me continue to use an actual real number that I use to get all my calls and texts? I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm trying to figure out, if I try to change to what you mentioned if my account would end up with less or more problems.  From what I read in other places, people said that it would only affect *new* sellers, which I'm not, I sold before and had no issues; so even though the CSR mentioned my phone being an issue I'm wondering about the bank account stuff that was also mentioned somewhere about how eBay no longer accepts Paypal, I notice that it said you can't add it, but if it was already connected it's still there.  I really and truly value my privacy after a series of events that left my life upside down for a while, and feel that eBay has no business with my actual phone, especially as no one else has ever had any issues reaching me on my Google number, doctors, contractors, dentist, friends, basically everyone except immediate family use my Google number. So, why eBay thinks they rank above my doctor and friends is irritating, lol.

Message 87 of 134
latest reply

TextFree isn't free, lol. I just tried it and it gives a hyperlink saying if you want your code upgrade to plus for 10 bucks.

Message 88 of 134
latest reply

Why didn't you just verify a second time?

Message 89 of 134
latest reply

I'm getting the same thing. Is there any way to actually get paid? They owe me money and I don't see anyway to collect. I do not have a cell phone and don't want to link someone else's phone to my bank account. That is asking for trouble. Can you help?

Message 90 of 134
latest reply