cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you complain about getting this new book direct from the author?

Got this book direct from the author, paid $100 for it. Spine is obviously broken. Would you complain?Got this book direct from the author, paid $100 for it. Spine is obviously broken. Would you complain?

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”-
Alexander Hamilton

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

Never doubt that what the Founding Fathers were trying to protect you from were their successors. --treasurehuntinginthemist

"Never doubt that what the founding fathers were trying to protect you from were their successors"--treasurehuntinginthemist
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Yes

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

I'd complain

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 3 of 39
latest reply

time for a inad

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

what does it being from the author have to do with anything tho?

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Depends on the book, and the author.

The spine broke doesn't look like it is the authors fault, the binding is poor quality, which to me means independant publisher - the odds are good all of them will react that way.

And from the wear pattern on the spine edge, it does not look like the book is brand new just published.  It looks like a older book the author has had around, probably brings with him to book signings.

There are a few authors that I would pay good bucks for an autographed rag with a few words on it.  So if I got that from one of them in that condition, I would get out some quality glue and carefully make the repair and put it on my shelf rejoicing the whole time.

If it's just any old author, I'd ask if I could trade my copy for one that doesn't have a cracked spine.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Was it signed?

Is it out of print?

@jpcustomsonline wrote:

Nothing really except that it is brand new and there is no middleman in the transaction at all.

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”-
Alexander Hamilton

- Thomas Jefferson

Never doubt that what the Founding Fathers were trying to protect you from were their successors. --treasurehuntinginthemist

"Never doubt that what the founding fathers were trying to protect you from were their successors"--treasurehuntinginthemist
Message 8 of 39
latest reply

@treasurehuntinginthemist wrote:

@jpcustomsonline wrote:

Nothing really except that it is brand new and there is no middleman in the transaction at all.

If ebay was the middleman, we know how this is going to end up.

(*Bleep*)
Message 9 of 39
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Was it signed?

Is it out of print?

Yes and yes and the author is the only place to get them at a reasonable price because they have deadstock on hand. Third party sellers are asking $200-$500 for it but don't seem to be selling yet because the author is offering them for $100

Alexander Hamilton

- Thomas Jefferson

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

@treasurehuntinginthemist wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Was it signed?

Is it out of print?

Yes and yes and the author is the only place to get them at a reasonable price because they have deadstock on hand. Third party sellers are asking $200-$500 for it but don't seem to be selling yet because the author is offering them for $100

Then no.

(*Bleep*)
Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Looks like a lot of my limited run, OOP antique toy books from 20+ years ago.

As soon as you open them, you have some cracks in the binding just from age.

11 replies, and no one has asked if the spine condition was noted in the listing (assuming ebay).
If it were, this is a moot discussion.
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

We would need to see the listing. Does it say excellent condition ? New ? Old stock that may have a little wear ? Did you buy it for the signed copy and not the condition ? Did you expect wear ? Only YOU can decide if you should complain as it is what you think of the purchase.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for the replies guys and girls. Here is the rest of the story and the reason for me asking. The book came about 2 weeks ago and a couple days after that I got around to starting reading it. On the second day of reading I got to that section of the book and discovered the issue. I did inquire about the book with my seller and mentioned it being broken and that they might want to check the others out. He requested a photo which I provided. I never asked for nor did I expect anything and never even inquired about returning the book. I was just going to keep it and maybe try gluing it with some acid free glue.

The next day I got a message from the seller profusely apologizing for the defective book and then they told me they had shipped me another copy earlier that day and for me to do whatever I wished with the defective one. That kind of shocked me a little bit, that they went to that length without me even complaining. I only alerted them to an issue that may or may not have been limited to the copy I had received. I never even suggested I was unhappy. 

The reason I posted was frankly, I'm feeling a little dirty about this whole thing. I did not want to harm the seller financially at all---that was never even a thought of mine, but I feel I have. I think I will try to repair the defective copy but right now I'm going to go paypal him another $100. 

Thanks everyone for your input I wanted to know if there was anyone else who would have accepted the condition of the original book or if I was alone in that. I needed to hear that to push me over the edge that I was already leaning over.

Alexander Hamilton

- Thomas Jefferson

Message 15 of 39
latest reply