cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won my appeal!!

On July 4th I sold an iPod Touch to a guest buyer.  The buyer received the iPod touch (along with a couple cases and a charger) a few days later and filed an “empty box “ SNAD claim.

I called eBay and got the "we give the buyer the benefit of the doubt" and "this is the risk of selling on-line" routines.  I called Paypal- no help.

I ultimately lost the case and filed an appeal.

In my appeal I referred to the User Agreement.  Hopefully, this can help others  .Here is the text of my appeal.

“I feel eBay is in violation of the eBay User Agreement. Under Section: Policy Enforcement,  it states: When a buyer or seller issue arises, we may consider the user s performance history and the specific circumstances in applying our policies. We may choose to be more lenient with policy enforcement in an effort to do the right thing for both buyers and sellers.

This buyer was a guest with -0- history and claimed the Empty Box Claim. I have 11 years on this ebay account and over 2500 feedback score. I am a Top Rated seller. When one googles "ebay buyer claims not received item empty box"

https: www.google.com/search?q=ebay+buyer+claims+not+received+item+empty+box&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 E

You get over 500,000 hits. This is a well known scam and the buyer played it perfectly as eBay looks the other way on this. Also, your agent claimed that eBay gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt . I don t find that provision in your user agreement. Please let me know if (Buyer’s email address redacted)@hotmail.com has active eBay accounts under various user names. If so, please provide me with those user names. This is allowable under the privacy policy.”

This morning I wake up to the following e-mail from eBay:

Thank you for contacting us about case XXXXXXXXXXXX for the following item:

XXXXXXXXX - Apple iPod touch 5th Generation Space Gray (32GB) Bundle with Survivor case!

We've reviewed your concerns and have reversed the outcome of the case. Within 48 hours, we'll credit the PayPal account used to provide reimbursement for this case. If you used another payment method, please open a PayPal account with the email address we have on file. This will enable you to claim your money.

The money hit my PP account about an hour later!

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Won my appeal!!

moondog - dust bags, boxes, stuff like that can now be listed and sold.  Been there, done that this year.   I must have a zillion* high end dust bags in my closet - love getting $50 or so for each one.  And sooooo easy to list and ship.

*hyperbole - I really won't become a zillionaire by selling my dustbags...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 46 of 54
latest reply

Won my appeal!!

So Happy for You!

Well done. So thoughtful of you to take the time to post here.

i am sure many buyers will want to buy from you as you are helpful and gracious.
Message 47 of 54
latest reply

Won my appeal!!

@awesome-auctionsco wrote:

YOU LIE!!!  Smiley Happy

It cant be done unless you are using some kind of magic spells or potions.

Are you from the future when eBay cares about its smaller sellers and wants to fix the problems we all have?

It would not be a case of the OP coming from the future, no.  This sounds more like an illustration of the Many Worlds Theory instead.  It is obvious that the OP somehow managed to shift into one of the many infinite alternate universes that current theoretical physics shows are theoretically possible.  The universe that the OP visited is the one where eBay CS is actually empowered to help their actual customers, and eBay's policies are set up so that there are mechanisms for their customers to prevail against fraudulent claims.  Sadly, that is not our continuum.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 48 of 54
latest reply

Won my appeal!!

@lovinlakelife14 wrote:

Very good job!  I never have understood why eBay is so buyer sided on things.  It takes sellers to bring in buyers.  It takes buyers to buy from the seller.  Equal playing field to me and a persons history should and does tell a lot about the people involved.  It's not easy getting 500, 1000,1500,2500 and 50,000 100% positive rating.  That takes years and many transactions.  

Congrats im glad to hear that your research paid off!

It is buyer centric because no matter the outcome of any case, they usually manage to find ways to keep the final value fees.  If it was more balanced then they would lose a lot more fees whenever they found in the seller's favor (we are talking about empty box and switcharoo scams where eBay will force a refund as soon as tracking shows something was delivered, not where a seller manages to fight a bogus return and win right away without anything being mailed back).

By finding in the buyer's favor no matter how bulletproof the evidence against the buyer is, eBay never has to give up their precious fees.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 49 of 54
latest reply

Won my appeal!!

Congratulations! 

It's encouraging to know that winning an appeal is an actual possibility. I always figured sellers never receive the benefit of the doubt and that arbitration heavily favors buyers in the event of a dispute.

Hopefully, I'll never be in such a situation but it's nice to know that an appeal is more than just a formality that occurs before the arbitrator decides in favor of the buyer.

WellnessMedSpa
Message 50 of 54
latest reply

Won my appeal!!

@shield-doctor wrote:

On July 4th I sold an iPod Touch to a guest buyer.  The buyer received the iPod touch (along with a couple cases and a charger) a few days later and filed an “empty box “ SNAD claim.

I called eBay and got the "we give the buyer the benefit of the doubt" and "this is the risk of selling on-line" routines.  I called Paypal- no help.

I ultimately lost the case and filed an appeal.

In my appeal I referred to the User Agreement.  Hopefully, this can help others  .Here is the text of my appeal.

“I feel eBay is in violation of the eBay User Agreement. Under Section: Policy Enforcement,  it states: When a buyer or seller issue arises, we may consider the user s performance history and the specific circumstances in applying our policies. We may choose to be more lenient with policy enforcement in an effort to do the right thing for both buyers and sellers.

This buyer was a guest with -0- history and claimed the Empty Box Claim. I have 11 years on this ebay account and over 2500 feedback score. I am a Top Rated seller. When one googles "ebay buyer claims not received item empty box"

https: www.google.com/search?q=ebay+buyer+claims+not+received+item+empty+box&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 E

You get over 500,000 hits. This is a well known scam and the buyer played it perfectly as eBay looks the other way on this. Also, your agent claimed that eBay gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt . I don t find that provision in your user agreement. Please let me know if (Buyer’s email address redacted)@hotmail.com has active eBay accounts under various user names. If so, please provide me with those user names. This is allowable under the privacy policy.”

This morning I wake up to the following e-mail from eBay:

Thank you for contacting us about case XXXXXXXXXXXX for the following item:

XXXXXXXXX - Apple iPod touch 5th Generation Space Gray (32GB) Bundle with Survivor case!

We've reviewed your concerns and have reversed the outcome of the case. Within 48 hours, we'll credit the PayPal account used to provide reimbursement for this case. If you used another payment method, please open a PayPal account with the email address we have on file. This will enable you to claim your money.

The money hit my PP account about an hour later!

I suppose eBay let the buyer keep the refund and eBay refunded the seller.  If this is true, that is where some of our fees go. 

I am glad to pay a little more in fees to have this extra protection against a buyer falsely claiming that an empty box was received. 

Message 51 of 54
latest reply

Won my appeal!!

Congrats!
Message 52 of 54
latest reply

Won my appeal!!

@ito56 wrote:
Congrats!

It happened over a year ago, I doubt it would ever happen today.

(*Bleep*)
Message 53 of 54
latest reply

Won my appeal!!

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 54 of 54
latest reply